Pairing Bluetooth headphones with PC

SOLVED

Re: QC35.2 only connects voice not headphones

Hello Jim1556! Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. 

I am sorry to hear you are having difficulty, but would be glad to help! This post may provide some helpful information when configuring your PC for use with the QC35II.

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support 

Quiet Contributor

Sound link 2 bluetooth - Audio noise when paired with PC

I generally switch back and forth between being paired from my smart phone and my windows 10 PC without any problems. But the other day the headphones started to act up randomly with my laptop. Everything still works fine when paired with my phone. When I pair with my laptop the audio quality becomes really bad, theres some static, and I can hear exterior noises through the headphones like its being picked up my the microphone. When theres no audio being played, the noise cancelling works normal. Its only when I start playing music or videos that it starts to do this. I'm not sure what to do about it. I've tried to update my firmware but to no avail.

A similar issue in the forums suggested changing the default device to headphones in the sound settings. This is bizarre, because my PC is too far from my head to connect via a wire hence why I use a wireless headset. My windows 10 has default device settings greyed out when not connected so I cannot change default to "headphones" unless they are plugged in. Only the headset option is available whilst using bluetooth. Phone works absolutely fine and unless I just didn't notice before, so did my PC. I use a USB 4.0

CSR4.0+ EDR dongle to connect to Blutooth. The degraded sound quality is frankly unacceptable.

Vocal Volunteer

Re: QC35.2 only connects voice not headphones

This is not unusual assume the pic you are showing is a windows machine.  I have a Dell Precision laptop and have seen this many time.  Bluetooth uses two profiles/protocols.  One is called HFP and is designed for voice over IP/phone call applications with software such as Skype.  Phone conversations are in mono with lower quality sound - hence your 'headset'.  It is not designed for music and will sound just like it would sound in your driver's side speaker when you call in your car.  The other profile is "A2DP" which designed for streaming stereo music both on the computer with players such as VLC and Winamp and with Internet streaming apps like youtube, vimeo and social media.  Sometimes it is called "Stereo Renderer" or your second entry with 'stereo'. In order to effectively communicate, your Bose headphone (it's firmware) needs to go through the operating system (Windows or Mac) and then to the 'drivers' supplied by the vendor which supplies the actual hardware (with antenna) which implements the bluetooth communication.  In my case, the bluetooth vendor is "Intel".  Most devices today have both hardware for wifi and for bluetooth.  Often it can be the same 3rd party vendor and could even be on the same miniboard or chipset as in the case with my laptop (you can't separate the bluetooth stuff from the wifi stuff - they are both implemented on the same board).

Unfortunately, sometimes the communications do not work as expected and something of the above three does not talk properly using the expected communication protocols.  So you may be able to 'pair' and 'discover' the device as you have shown, but when it comes time to communicate along a particular 'service' such as A2DP, both ends don't talk and you end up with the device being shown but "offline" as you have depicted.

So what can you do about it?  Really nothing personally - the removing and reconnecting is not the issue - it's the inability to communicate back and forth with A2DP.  Something along the communication that is making it not work needs to be changed.

1. QC35ii - the firmware would need to be changed.  This is possible in the next say one year, but unlikely and not worth waiting for imho.  The thing is, Bose has said there are clearly too many bluetooth desktop and laptop implementation for them to test.  A future firmware upgrade, even if it addresses an A2DP service issue may not address your particular situation

2. Windows (if you are a windows machine - but similar if you are Mac) - the operating system supports in general bluetooth implementation though it depends more on the third party drivers to get things done.  Though sometimes a change to the OS could interfere or block the communication.  Intel, for example on its bluetooth site cites at least two Windows updates (for win7 but make sure it's not there as you probably have win10) that intefere and need to be uninstalled.  One thing you can try is to uninstall all operating system updates back at least two years to see if any of them interfere with bluetooth.

3.3rd Party Bluetooth hardware vendor - the communication is done through 'drivers'.  So you can uninstall and reinstall the drivers.  That would only help if something which not working with the data for that driver.  Otherwise, reinstalling the same driver will not work.  You can then try to uninstall the driver and install either a newer one, if there are any or perhaps drivers back two years to hope that something was different from the current one.

If nothing seems to help, you can wait for one of the three vendors to change something which may or may not help.  Getting a change from Bose or Microsoft/Apple to help is unlikely.  Trying to talk to your 3rd party bluetooth vendor may or may not be fruitful.  I can tell you that if your vendor is Intel, like me, you may be wasting your time.  Others here have the same issues with intel as I have.  Now Intel has recently updated it driver (4th one in two years) and I have not yet tried it out yet.

4. Here is one more possibility.  My Dell support rep said that for Windows, you can try uninstalling your bluetooth driver and instead install the Toshiba bluetooth drivers (even if you don't use Toshiba hardware).  They claim it works for all versions of Windows.  I am not going to comment much further on this until I try it out someday this coming week myself.  If you try it and it works let us know.  Its 'freeware'. https://toshiba-bluetooth-stack.en.lo4d.com/

If you continue to get stuck and don't want to wait, then go ahead and disable your bluetooth adapter/hardware totally (or the following is less likely to work).  Then buy a Bluetooth (BT) USB dongle and try it instead.  I can not tell you what will or will not work for you.  What I can tell you is I was dead in the water with my Intel hardware.  I disabled it, went out to eBay and for $12 purchased a SMK Nano USB Dongle with CSR drivers and now everything works on all my Bose devices including my stereo streaming.

Re: Sound link 2 bluetooth - Audio noise when paired with PC

Hi Swash893,

Thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear about that. From what I can understand from your post. 

• Your headset worked fine with both your computer and your phone.
  • Recently your headphones stopped working properly with your computer.
  • Your headphones continue to work fine with your phone.

Could I ask, has your computer updated? Has anything changed?

Please come back and let us know.

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

Silent Starter

Bose QC 35 II problem connection to Bluetooth USB Dongle (non-bluetooth PC)

I've purchased Bose QC 35 ii and bought a bluetooth adapter (Logilink USB Blootooth  v4.0 Dongle) since my PC (w10) has no Bluetooth, but i still cant connect. Dongle seems on, but still cant find my headphones. I want to know if there is a solution to that, if it is a general problem or if it is the specific dongle i bought (so i can buy a compatible one).

Vocal Volunteer

Re: Bose QC 35 II problem connection to Bluetooth USB Dongle (non-bluetooth PC)

It is your dongle likely.  When I was first trying dongles I started with Insignia and could not get it to work.  Now keep in mind that what may wok for me may not work for you.  With that in mind, I purchased for $12 on eBay, the SMK Nano Dongle with CSR Drivers.  Everything works (except for geeting my two removles working in party mode and a Revolve volume issue) now on both my Dell Precision laptop and desktop.  Keep in mind I have win 7/64.

Vocal Volunteer

Significant Headway For Windows w Bose Problems

Since Nov, I have been having problems on my Dell laptop with Intel Bluetooth hardware.  It started as inability to connect in stereo (the A2DP stereo renderer was constantly offline).  Eventually, I could not even get ANY of my Bose devices (2 Revolves, Soundlink Mini, Soundsport Wired, and QC35ii) 'discovered' in 'add device'.  I spent weeks working the issue with Dell.  In the meantime, I was using the SMK Nano USB Bluetooth dongle with CSR drivers and everything was working fine except for an unusually low volume for my Revolves and my inability to put my Revolves into party/stereo mode with my laptop.

Yesterday I had a 'breakthrough'.  Based on Dell's suggestion, I went ahead a did a 'restore' of a backup I had for my laptop "C" drive dating back to June 30, 2018.  My C drive contains Windows and my professional software and support data (Videography and music production software and 'samples').  My D drive which I left alone has my generic and non-professional software and all my personal and professionally created data.  BTW, both C & D are 1 TB Toshiba SSDs.

Once the restoration was done, some software (like Norton, Adobe, etc.) automatically updated itself.  I had windows update on manual intentionally.  I also noticed that right before June 30th, I had updated my Intel drivers to version '60' (since then there has been 90.1 and 90.2).  I did not change the drivers.  I connected and tested every one of my Bose products with the laptop and they ALL WORKED fine.  In fact, I had no volume problem with the Revolve's and as long as I disconnected my first Revolve from my iphone (to prevent it from party'ing with it), I was also able to use Party and Stereo mode with my laptop as well.

Here is how I did it:

1. Did a device add from the system tray

2. Waiting perhaps a bit of time for all the devices to appear.  If they showed up as 'unkown', I waited for them to change to real devices.  Sometimes the 'LE' version showed up.  I also waited for that to change.  Did not connect with an LE.

3. After the add, waited for all the drivers and services to be found (sometimes that took a while).  For the QC35, 3 of the 5 were not found.  Made no difference.  It still worked.

4. Went to the device and double clicked on it.  Two  services were presented.  I clicked on the link for the stereo and all the 'planets alligned'.

5. I was able to play music with various players.  If it was not loud enough, I hit the respective volume up button on the Bose device until I got the volume I wanted.
6. Occasionally things stopped playing.  If that happened, I double click on the device, stop the service and then restart it.

After my tests, I updated all my remaining applications (everything but Windows) and things still worked, but I plan tomorrow on doing a bit more testing.  Right now I am creating a full C drive backup of my current laptop C drive (takes about 8 to 10 hours to an external hard disk since it's about 550 GB).  If everything is still fine tomorrow, I plan on doing a windows update.  Not exactly sure how I'll do it but I think I just do them all at once and see what happens.   This will help me find out if it was a windows update that caused the issue.  If I get stuck, I can always go back to today's state since I am doing a full backup.

More to come...  but it does not appear to me at this point that the problems have anything to do either Bose or Intel.

Vocal Volunteer

Significant Headway For Windows w Bose Problems

Since Nov, I have been having problems on my Dell laptop with Intel Bluetooth hardware.  It started as inability to connect in stereo (the A2DP stereo renderer was constantly offline).  Eventually, I could not even get ANY of my Bose devices (2 Revolves, Soundlink Mini, Soundsport Wired, and QC35ii) 'discovered' in 'add device'.  I spent weeks working the issue with Dell.  In the meantime, I was using the SMK Nano USB Bluetooth dongle with CSR drivers and everything was working fine except for an unusually low volume for my Revolves and my inability to put my Revolves into party/stereo mode with my laptop.

Yesterday I had a 'breakthrough'.  Based on Dell's suggestion, I went ahead a did a 'restore' of a backup I had for my laptop "C" drive dating back to June 30, 2018.  My C drive contains Windows and my professional software and support data (Videography and music production software and 'samples').  My D drive which I left alone has my generic and non-professional software and all my personal and professionally created data.  BTW, both C & D are 1 TB Toshiba SSDs.

Once the restoration was done, some software (like Norton, Adobe, etc.) automatically updated itself.  I had windows update on manual intentionally.  I also noticed that right before June 30th, I had updated my Intel drivers to version '60' (since then there has been 90.1 and 90.2).  I did not change the drivers.  I connected and tested every one of my Bose products with the laptop and they ALL WORKED fine.  In fact, I had no volume problem with the Revolve's and as long as I disconnected my first Revolve from my iphone (to prevent it from party'ing with it), I was also able to use Party and Stereo mode with my laptop as well.

Here is how I did it:

1. Did a device add from the system tray

2. Waiting perhaps a bit of time for all the devices to appear.  If they showed up as 'unkown', I waited for them to change to real devices.  Sometimes the 'LE' version showed up.  I also waited for that to change.  Did not connect with an LE.

3. After the add, waited for all the drivers and services to be found (sometimes that took a while).  For the QC35, 3 of the 5 were not found.  Made no difference.  It still worked.

4. Went to the device and double clicked on it.  Two  services were presented.  I clicked on the link for the stereo and all the 'planets alligned'.

5. I was able to play music with various players.  If it was not loud enough, I hit the respective volume up button on the Bose device until I got the volume I wanted.
6. Occasionally things stopped playing.  If that happened, I double click on the device, stop the service and then restart it.

After my tests, I updated all my remaining applications (everything but Windows) and things still worked, but I plan tomorrow on doing a bit more testing.  Right now I am creating a full C drive backup of my current laptop C drive (takes about 8 to 10 hours to an external hard disk since it's about 550 GB).  If everything is still fine tomorrow, I plan on doing a windows update.  Not exactly sure how I'll do it but I think I just do them all at once and see what happens.   This will help me find out if it was a windows update that caused the issue.  If I get stuck, I can always go back to today's state since I am doing a full backup.

More to come...  but it does not appear to me at this point that the problems have anything to do either Bose or Intel.

Community Manager

Re: Significant Headway For Windows w Bose Problems

Hi joelirwin,

That's some great troubleshooting and advice!  I know you've been struggling specifically with the Revolves and glad that it seems to have been corrected.  Let's hope this helps out the Community as it did for you!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Pairing Bluetooth headphones with a PC

Hi all,

Thanks for contributing to this thread. We are aware that many of our users like to use their products with their computers and are subsequently experiencing various issues, some of which can be resolved by troubleshooting.

In an attempt to provide you with all the useful information we have, we have compiled a list of everything that we know about using Bluetooth audio devices on computers both Windows and Mac that you can see here:

Computer Related Informational Post

We would encourage everyone to go through this thread because it contains many helpful tips that we have collected from around the community that could help you with your specific issue as well. We want to continue learning any new information or tips that you may have or discover going forward. We would like help make your experiences as enjoyable as possible.

Please post anything that you find helps!

Thanks for reading everyone,

Your Forum Moderators