Highlighted
Chow18
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 17, 2018

Re: Headphones power on automatically

This problem started for me this week. I have the QC35I (bought in November of 2016 - past the 1 year warranty date). I use my headphones roughly twice a week and are in near mint condition since I have bought them. I contacted the support center and was offered the QCII's for a discounted price but have not taken them up on their offer as of yet for fear of a similar malfunction and possible future expired warranty on the new ones. 

My issue is that the QC35I is continuing to turn on while the headphones is in the off position. To confirm, I would turn them off and recorded that it would turn on after an average of 10-15 seconds. Then while I was talking to the support center, they asked me to turn them on and it took roughly a minute of switching between the on and off switch before it would turn on and connect to the Bose app. That was the first time this occurred, and I have been unable to replicate this occurrence again.

This was the first time that I have bought a Bose product and was thinking of buying other products with them; however, seeing as how they have become unreliable after less than 2 years of purchase, I am unsure of whether I will continue to commit to Bose or move to another company. If there are any suggestions on how to solve this issue besides purchasing the QC35II, please let me know, thank you!

Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hi Chow18

Thanks for posting!  Sorry to hear about the issues, but would be glad to help!

Can you clear the Bluetooth list on the headset by pushing the power button forward and holding it for about 15 seconds.  There will be a voice prompt that indicates the list has been cleared.  From here, let's go ahead and power down the headset.  I'm curious to see if they turn themselves on without a Bluetooth pairing at all.  

Let us know your findings!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Highlighted
Chow18
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 17, 2018

Tony,

I have cleared the bluetooth list on the headset as you recommended. They are still turning on automatically even in the "off" position.

Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hi Chow18

Thanks for getting back to me.  This is certainly strange, it does seem like something is going on with the headset.  I tried to replicate the issue here in office and was unable to recreate the issue.  I would recommend trying to go our updater site by clicking HERE.  You can connect your headset via the supplied USB cable and let's see if we can try and update the headset if that hasn't been done yet. 

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Highlighted
Chow18
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 17, 2018

Tony,

I updated my headphones and the problem still persists. There is also the occasional trouble of turning them on in which I have to either switch on/off multiple times or perform a quick charge on them to "jump-start" the headphones. 

Additionally, I am unable to pair my headphones with my phone ever since I cleared my bluetooth list. Any suggestions on how to re-pair them? I am using the Bose-connect app and it is saying "connection unsuccessful". I have tried this multiple time and the message is always the same

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi Chow18,

Thanks for responding and all the troubleshooting you have done so far. At this point, I would recommend reaching out to your local Bose support for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your country, scroll down to where you see "Contact Us".

Have a great day!

Tony G - Community Support

Highlighted
Chow18
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 17, 2018

Tony,

The issue is that contact support was the first thing I tried. Instead of walking me through ways of trying to fix these issues, they simply wanted me to send them in for the QC35II and pay a slight additional fee. I am having trouble fathoming that prospect when these headphones are in good working condition (sound/noise cancelling are fine). I am not willing to spend additional amounts of money when I already paid good money and they are already failing me after less than 2 years. I would understand this more if I accidently dropped them or spilled water, but I have done no such things which makes me frustrated.

Highlighted
Clade
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

So I have had this same problem with my qc35 which started around the last June. While the switch is in off mode the headphone will at first turn on but then later turn back on by themsleves. I haven't been able to use my headphone properly for the last couple of months which includes an airplane trip which I specifically bought the headphones for. When I called the bose support all I was told to do is update my headphones or by a new pair since my headphones were out of warranty since i have only had the headphones for 1.5 years. I have provided a picture of my headphone below, showing clearly that the headphones are in the off position but with the green light on meaning they are turned on. I haven't seen away to fix these and I'm posting here to see what my options are.37395346_10157026154820400_2813252983888805888_n.jpg

djthe
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 25, 2018

Re: QC35 Headphones Turning Itself On?

Frustrating, mine has the same problem as well.

I tried every fixing mentioned on the internet, no luck.

It's definitely a manufacturing or design flaw.

Just after your warranty expeired, what a coincidence.

Bose, I had faith in you, take the responsiblities now!!!!

Highlighted
greerl
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 9, 2018

Re: QC35 Headphones Turning Itself On?

My QC35 I, new Oct 2016, are also turning the self on. Upgraded to firmware 2.5.3 and tried other suggested tricks found online but while can always turn off by cycling switch, they again turn on, often within minutes.

The power switch looks and feels fine to me.

At less than two years old surely Bose can/will do better than the $300 I've seen here mentioned, though some apparently are getting free. Calling Nose is next stop.

I see at least two online sites offering repairs. If Bose is going to want the $300, surely they are worth trying. Any feedback on these or other online repairs?
https://www.fixheadphones.com/, http://repairbose.com/index.htm.