QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

SOLVED
Bose Best Answer selected by ModeratorMohsin_S
Friendly Fanatic

Re: Bose QC35 - Power Sliding Switch Broken

In that case you're luckier than most of us, your problem is in the hardware, that's fixable. You can 3D-print that button: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2894599 and then replace for yourself. You can remove the right earcup cushion, peel up the liner, undo the 3 tiny screws, and the outer shell comes right off. Then you can replace the plastic switch, put everytihng back together & enjoy.

regards,

Peter

Animated Arbiter

Re: Bose QC35 - Power Sliding Switch Broken

That is frustrating. You could try doing the fix yourself if it's the similar situation of this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJaNlvLG3tI

My Bose QuietComfort 35 wireless headphones were out of warranty (1 year) and my power switch broke such that I could no longer turn them off. This is what I did to fix it. I did also call Bose to see if they fix these, but they do not. They offered me $50 off a new pair.
Highlighted
Animated Arbiter

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

I have fought this issue for over a year now, but now I seem to have resolved it thanks to the fix that Kiva-Kingas has here https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC-35-I-is-Turning-On-By-Itself/m-p/168080#M3... The problem being that the prongs that come off the switch are not making good contact with the conductors on the circuit board of where it is seated. Reasoning that also seems to back that up is that if you remove the switch completely, the state of the headphones is on. So once you bend the prongs so they extend just a little bit better to make contact, the problem is resolved. This makes sense that after time and usage of the switch that the outward tension of the prongs to the conductors is lessened to a degree that they may not make solid contact.

It doesn't seem to make logical sense based on circumstantial evidence that Bluetooth Low Emission is the culprit. There doesn't seem to be any specific firmware update that may have sparked the issue, why would this suddendly start occuring to headphones after time? That points more to a mechanical issue with the switch. Once again, if you remove the switch, the headphones will power on. So the theory that the prongs are not making contact seems legit, and at least so far after several days with my headphones, the proof is in the pudding.

Mine have not had the issue for several days since doing the switch fix. I will update this thread if I happen to be wrong and they suddenly turn on again.

If you do end up trying that fix, my tip is to be very mindful of not dropping that spring. It's super small, and I almost lost it when it fell on my carpet.

Audible Advocate

Three days now and the headphones have not turned themselves on.  I've used them in high BT environments to include work, home, the airport etc.  I'm convinced now the issue is in the switch.  I've searched YouTube and found some videos so my next endeavor is going to be to take them apart and look the switch.

Wistful Whiz

I just want to go on record here that while I have been sharing it could be BLE or a on/off switch malfunction I am NOT married to BLE.  I was one of the people who had the opportunity to exchange my QC 35i for a ii so that support can use it for troubleshooting.  I am still waiting for support to let me and hopefully eveyone else know what their conclusions are in terms of the underlying cause(s).  My bigger concern is what is going to happen next.  My gut tells me that yes there are many DIYers out there who if it is a switch issue can fix it themselves but that a vast majority of users just buy it, use it and want it to work.  If it does not, they expect Bose to do something about it.  If it is something relatively simple like a firmware upgrade, Bose can get that done relatively painlessly.  However, if it is a hardware issue, I can not imagine (though I could be suprised) Bose doing a 'recall' like a car manufacturer would.  Bad for their brand and a very expensive option.  I think they will sort of wait for people to call in with the problem, do a lot of troubleshooting, try to 'get away' with asking the customer to pay for an upgrade/exchange, and then only if the customers complains offer a free exchange.  That does not seem 'right' to me but based on what they are doing now, I see that as a likely scenario.  Manufacturers don't like to own up to product defects - it is not just Bose.  IMHO, car makers would not do recalls (with free replacements), if they were not being forced to by the government.

Hi all,

I just wanted to jump in here and remind everyone that we encourage everyone who is having issues with their headsets, for whatever reason to contact their local support team for assistance. From what we are hearing, users who are contacting their local support team are getting their situation resolved. Here is a link you can use. Click on your region, scroll down until you see "Contact Us."

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

Friendly Fanatic

Hi Tony_G,

"getting their situation resolved", well, I wouldn't call a paid upgrade to a QC35II a resoultion. I'd rather call it ripping customers off. Best part is, that you guys still do not admit there is something seriously wrong with the QC35s.

The only acceptable "resolution" would be to release a firmware fix if the problem is in the firmware, or a recall of all accepted QC35s for a free replacement if the problem is caused by a faulty power switch.

regards,

Peter

Audible Advocate

Tony i think you are reading too much into these posts. This is a crappy situation and there is clearly a problem qith these headphones, but thankfully, i can reach out to forums like this and find a solution for the short term. Its not my way to sit and pout and wait for someone to fix my problem. Now that my headphones are working again, I'm happy and will gladly take my hard earned $$ elsewhere when i need a new pair ultimately. If Bose doesn't want to step up then it's their problem. JBL. Beats, Sony. And plenty of others make some pretty competitive headphones. I'm just a consumer and don't care to fix Bose' PR problem.
Friendly Fanatic

Could not agree more!

Friendly Fanatic

Tony,

The local support told me that I have to pay 300$ for a replacement for a brand new qc35II as my warranty period has expired. which, seems does not acceptable to me as I just paied 349$ for my first pair and use it just for one year then I need to pay another 300$ to upgrade it to next generation.. What I need is just to get my current pair fixed without additional $$$.. 

Thanks,

Jerry