joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Headphones power on automatically

qiangliu Great work.  You observations and explanations make great technical sense and significantly imho more 'cause-effect' then merely a faulty power switch.  Let see (and hope) if Bose comes up with the same conclusion and if so, they really need to redesign the case so that things are not stored on top of the headphones that can put pressure on the cup.

So I have followed your recommendations and hope others here do as well.  I have removed all the wires from the cover pouch.  Once you put the QC35 in the case, there is actually room in the open spaces in the bottom to store the wires.  That way, they stay in the case with the headphones.

The only thing (for closure) that I wonder is why only the QC35i.  My very old QC20 doesn't have any pouch in the top of the case.  But the QC35ii does have the same pouch and wires/cables so I wonder why no one with a QC35ii has talked about a similar situation with the on/off switch.  What do we think Bose did to the QC35ii so that the same thing would not happen.  I can tell you that having both, the switch on the Qc35ii has a much sturdier feel.
Richpen
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 2, 2019

Re: Headphones power on automatically

Just purchased Bose QC I headphones on December Thirty One 2018. Reading reviews after purchase people were complaining about the on-off switch. One fix that I read about on this site was the case causing the problem when you store your cables inside. I noticed this immediately when I put the headphones and cables inside the case and decided that was not a very good solution. The case I have also has a pouch on the outside with elastic and mesh to store things a much better way to do it.

Timmic64
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 2, 2019

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

Mine are doing the exact same thing,and I updated them yesterday hoping for a fix,to no avail.
I see 40 pages of people with the same issue!
Help me Bose! I love my QC35 phones,but they kinda suck with a dead battery!
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

As you can read above, the users/customers here have done their own testing.  Bose is doing it as well but either have not finished or are not yet ready to share their conclusions.  It is looking likely from the results here that the problem you and others are having (I had a QC35i as well with the issue which Bose exchanged for a Qc35ii) is due to a faulty design in the cover of the case.  It appears the when closed if cables in the case cover/top, they are putting pressure on the on/off switch and eventually cause the contacts in the switch to move causing the random turning on symptoms.  There really is no workaround other than to keep the QC35i plugged in and charging when not in use.  If you agree that this conclusion is correct, then you should immediately remove everything from your top cover. Though it appears for you the damage has already been done.  You are now left with imho three options (keeping in mind these are my opinions and I do not work for Bose):

1. You can wait for Bose to reach its own conclusions and recommendations as to what to do next.  It could happen this month or possibly any time in the future (hopefully this year)

2. You can follow instructions and pictures depicted above and fix the problem yourself

3. You can call Bose, go through their testing protocol and then explain to them that your device is part of the larger class of qc35i's with the issue and ask to get a free (even out of warantee) exchange.  If all they offer is a discount, I would suggest you do not accept and escalate to a US-based support supervisor who is familiar with this situation.

Highlighted

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Mohsin_S

** Update: After testing, we can confirm that from the samples we have collected, the issue doesn't seem to be software related and an update would not remedy the issue, we recommend contacting your local support team for assistance.**

Hello all,

We appreciate everyone taking the time to write in and for sharing your feedback. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. We have been collecting samples over the past month or so to help understand the root cause of these reports. Early reports would indicate this symptom may be hardware related as opposed to something which could be corrected via troubleshooting or an update to firmware. We'll let you know here when we have any further details to share on this.

We understand it’s frustrating when a product stops working properly and we want to ensure you’re getting the most out of your headphones. If you're experiencing this issue, we would recommend giving our technical support team a call so we can assist you with a replacement order.

Contact information can be found here. Please select your region and kindly scroll down to where you see “contact us.”

Thank you again and have a great rest of your day.

Mohsin

NTThunder
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jan 6, 2019

Contacted BOSE help desk as per your link and they mentioned that they hadn't heard of this being an issue and a firmware update will fix this. Okay!

BigBlue
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 4, 2019

My QC35i headphones started having this issue last year. It started sometime befor the warranty was up but I wasn't sure what was going on and it took me a while to piece things together. By fall I opened a case with Bose Support and their suggestion was to install the app on my phone and turn on the sleep timer. As you can imagine, this didn't work. The weird part is that the issue would happen for a while and then go away for weeks so I was never really able to come up with a pattern. After having it start happen very frequently in December I finally got back to researching it and found threads like this one and this one: QC 35 won’t turn off.

I contacted Support again. It was a frustrating experience but eventually we got past the ridiculous assertion that I should have to buy a new set to resolve the issues with the headphones that started within warranty and were not at all related to anything I had done. We'll see how things turn out soon...

BigBlue
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 4, 2019

For anyone who has gotten replacements from Bose:

Were you sent a refurbished unit or a new set? I'm always leary of getting refurbished stuff because it was probably someone else's problem originally but I guess it is better than having a product that has a major known problem that makes them almost useless.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

My QC35i was replaced with a shrink wrapped brand new QC35ii.  Manufacturing Date: October 8, 2018.

Evan_q
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 7, 2019

Hey Mohsin,

We appreciate the help and patience. Unfortunately i have the same issue (my QC 35 I is turning on constantly by itself) for 3 months without understanding why. Last week while googling i steped on few posts with other people having the same issue so i contacted UK support. After 2 days of chating through whatsup with customer service they insist on spending an extra 250 pounds to buy the new ones as my guarantee finished september 2018. 

This is quite frustrating in regards with the investment. If there is anything please let me know

regards.