QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

SOLVED
Wistful Whisperer

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

Why do my posts in this thread keep disappearing?? That's two times I've posted here and the message just goes away. I made a fairly long post (shortly before Evan_q's post) and even edited it a couple times and now two hours later it is gone. What the heck??

I'd ask a Moderator directly but I can't find either 'Mohsin_S' or 'Tony_G' in private message user list.

Hello BigBlue,

Thanks for posting. I am not sure what has happened. I can assure you that we have not moved or deleted your post. I can see your post but it is not visible on the Community page. I do apologize for that. I am copying your post below so that you and others can see it.

BigBlue wrote:

I finally had time to go back and read through the last 3 weeks' posts in this thread and now things are making a bit more sense. The explanation about the switch contacts does seem to be a reasonable cause of the problem. My issue did happen within a week or two of a trip that involved airline flights and storing my QC35i headphones in their case in a backpack. I think I also updated the firmware about that time though, so that's part of what led to my earlier conclusion. The part that doesn't jive 100% for me though is that my headphones did not turn on from any light touching or jiggling of the switch or case around the switch. I'd think if the contacts were the issue then they would be more likely to turn on with touching rather than just sitting on a shelf with zero physical movement. But who knows... I should also add that at the very end before sending them off my headphones would not turn on normally with a slide to the 'On' position sometimes (when they were really off). Those times I had to slide the switch into the 'pair' position to get them to turn on. So that does support the physical switch failure idea.

I have a replacement set coming so I'm not going to be able to take them apart and try the switch contact fix myself. I do hope that helps some people though because the headphones are essentially useless when they start having this problem.

As for ways Bose could fix this, assuming the physical switch/case issue is found to be the real cause, they could set up a program where affected owners could bring them into a Bose store where the store folks could perform the contact re-alignment. That would be cheaper than replacing them with new headphones or offering a big discount, and wouldn't be too painful for most customers. They could also offer a send-in-for-repair program too, but if they don't have any repair folks or facilities that probably isn't feasible. In addition to repairing affected units they should also look into a storage case redesign to prevent future problems. Hopefully Bose does confirm the cause soon and takes care of their customers. This is definitely an opportunity to gain a reputation. Either good or bad, depending on how they handle it.

Thanks for the folks who have offered ideas and information about what you found out!

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

Wistful Whisperer

Thanks Greg. Is there something I can do to investigate further or how do we address that situation? Feel free to PM me to discuss offline but I cannot find any moderators in the PM system so I can't initiate a message.

Hey BigBlue,

My pleasure. I have notified the Community Admin about the glitch (or what I assume is a glitch). It looks like something went sideways in the Community software itself. I am not sure what can be done, but it is being investigated. As of now, you are the only case of which I am aware. Please let us know if this continues to happen. If you have questions you can PM the Community Admin directly. 

Best Regards,

Greg 

Wistful Whisperer

Greg_B,

OK, thanks.

Silent Starter

Hey just to back you up here - I'm having the same issue.

Quiet Contributor

For my case they do not seem they really want to find a solution.

I will never invest on bose again. If a product's life expectancy is like 2 years for the price of 300 pounds, yeah not really ideal.

Quiet Contributor

Same Problem here.

What kind of solution ist that: Contact your local support?

The support has no clue at all, no solution. Except "We can offer you the new QC ii headphones for a discount".

There wasn't even a discount, only 15,-€ compared to the price on the internet.

Ok, I have these headphones for 370,€, 25 Months old, excellent condition.

Bose brings out a new edition, refuses to repair the old ones, but wants me to buy the new edition.

This is how you loose cutomers.

Highlighted
Strident Supporter

I do not work for Bose.  Bose imho does not provide a consistent message so if you get the offer of another device for a discount, ignore that.  The word has not always gotten out - not an excuse of them but rather a real world problem across bose support in my estimation.

For us the issue is more what we can do since Bose is still 'officially testing' and so we don't have their official 'word' as to why this is happening.  Initially it was thought it was an implementation of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) which cause it to come on.  That in the estimation of the users here (and I now agree as well) is possible but not likely.  Evidence shown here in the forum points more towards a problem with the cover of the QC35i case in those instances where the cables are placed in the elastic pocket.  When the case is closed, the cables put pressure on the on/off switch which slightly dislodge the contacts causing the intermittant situation.  So users should immediately remove everything from the cover.

So now what:

1. You can sell your Qc35i

2. You can call Bose again, tell them you are in the group of people with this problem and after going through all their troubleshooting let them know that Bose has comitted to replace the QC-35i (in or out of warrantee) which exhibits this problem with another new one at no cost.  If they won't do it, escalate to a Boston/HQ based support supervisor.  Do not pay for anything.  Make sure they understand (and they should) this is a group/class issue not specific to your QC35i.

3. You can follow the instructions above/elsewhere (with pictures), to fix the problem yourself.

4. You can wait for Bose (if they do at all), to finish their testing and tell us what the issue is.  If they decide it can be fixed with a firmware upgrade (which is imho unlikely), then you would have to wait until sometime later this year for that to happen.

Quiet Contributor

@joelirwin wrote:

I do not work for Bose.  Bose imho does not provide a consistent message so if you get the offer of another device for a discount, ignore that.  The word has not always gotten out - not an excuse of them but rather a real world problem across bose support in my estimation.

For us the issue is more what we can do since Bose is still 'officially testing' and so we don't have their official 'word' as to why this is happening.  Initially it was thought it was an implementation of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) which cause it to come on.  That in the estimation of the users here (and I now agree as well) is possible but not likely.  Evidence shown here in the forum points more towards a problem with the cover of the QC35i case in those instances where the cables are placed in the elastic pocket.  When the case is closed, the cables put pressure on the on/off switch which slightly dislodge the contacts causing the intermittant situation.  So users should immediately remove everything from the cover.

So now what:

1. You can sell your Qc35i

2. You can call Bose again, tell them you are in the group of people with this problem and after going through all their troubleshooting let them know that Bose has comitted to replace the QC-35i (in or out of warrantee) which exhibits this problem with another new one at no cost.  If they won't do it, escalate to a Boston/HQ based support supervisor.  Do not pay for anything.  Make sure they understand (and they should) this is a group/class issue not specific to your QC35i.

3. You can follow the instructions above/elsewhere (with pictures), to fix the problem yourself.

4. You can wait for Bose (if they do at all), to finish their testing and tell us what the issue is.  If they decide it can be fixed with a firmware upgrade (which is imho unlikely), then you would have to wait until sometime later this year for that to happen.

Hey Joe, on point 2; when did they (Bose) officialy acknowledged the issue and they offer replacement even when you are out of warrantee?

thanks for info