QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

SOLVED
Bose Best Answer selected by ModeratorMohsin_S
Audible Advocate

Re: QC 35-1 Not turning on

Agree with Joel.  What Bose is clearly missing is a strategic communication plan with respect to this issue.  Whether or not Bose has determined the cause, they should at least put out a plan to their workers to guide them in addressing this particular issue, rather than a generic response.  Company reputation is at stake.

I have corrected my headphone issue by opening up the ear cup and tweaking the prongs, as was discussed.  My headphones sat in the case for two weeks without ever turning on and my recent trip, they have held their charge.  I also took the cord out of the case to make sure the switch is not re-damaged.  But I have no confidence the switch will not be damaged again since I put the case/headphones in my backpack and it's prone to being compressed again.

Audible Advocate

Has anyone researched to see when this spontaneous turn-on problem first started? From what I've gathered in my fairly limited research this problem didn't seem to start before maybe early 2018. To me this is a fact that counters the concept that it is a physical issue caused by pressure on the side cups from the case or other reasons. If it were purely a switch prong problem I would think someone would have reported it quite a bit earlier. I mean the QC35ii was released in Sept. 2017 so the QC35i must have been out in early 2016 or maybe even 2015? Why did nobody report the problem sooner? I don't know and I'm not trying to say one way or the other... I'm just searching for a clue to the reason this is happening.

Quiet Contributor

I can tell you that my QC35 I's are in mint condition, very little use, used them in a few trips and sometimes at home, no impacts or pressure applied to the switch area or cover, the main switch also feels same and before and OK, not loose or broken. I don't think the switch or external covers have something  to do with the issue of having them turning on by themselves. They started turning on for no apparent reason around early Dec 2018, after a few times that I used them with my Macbook pro for online courses. Additionally, a couple days ago, having them sitting on a table and out of the case, they started turning on when I opened my iPad cover (I paired the headphones over 1 yr ago) even after I disabled the bluetooth connection in the iPad (weird!). Additionally, I also noticed that the Bose app in the iPad opened by itself a few seconds after the headphones turned on, without even clicking the app or even having it hidden in the background (even weirder!!). I set the standby timer in the headphones to the min 5 minutes and the headphones kept turning on and off continously, even with the iPad closed, until they ran out of battery, so the problem seems to be getting worse with time. I will re-charge them and post an update to this post soon. I can also volunteer to give my QG35's I to Bose for analysis (as long as they promise to replace them with a good unit!)

Wistful Whiz

@Fernando1Let the QC35i sit unused for a while and while the power appears off (no lights) and the switch is in the off position, run a BLE Scanner app (you find it in the app store) and tell us if you detect a BLE signal from QC35i or not.

Quiet Contributor

Re: QC35 Won't Turn Off

Hi Tony,

i am also facing this issue of for my QUIETCOMFORT35,WIRELESS,HDPH,BLACK,WW.

My device is out of warranty, but i am facing this issue when it was in warranty.

When i switch off the headphone, after few seconds it start its on, even the button is off.

Please can someone help from Bose Service support.

Thanks,

Kanhaiya 

Wistful Whiz

I don't work for Bose but I have called them 3 or 4 times on this.  They all don't have the same instructions what to do, imho.  So after doing a troubleshooting protocol with them when you call, tell them you have the issue of the QC35i turning itself on when in the off position.  Some reps will offer you a discount for an exchange.  You can accept that if you want but I would recommend you try a couple of more reps and keep at it.  You may find a rep that will do a free exchange even out of warrantee.  At least two of the reps I talked to said they would offer a free exchange given the description above after the troubleshooting.  If you still can't get anywhere, escalate to a supervisor and be firm that this is not specific to your QC35i - it is a group/class known issue for which Bose support people have been offering free exchanges in and out of warantee.  If that still helps, ask for a Bose HQ based employee in Boston.  I can't guarantee you will get what you are looking for, but I would recommend you try.

Quiet Contributor

For what it's worth....

I to am having the same issue. I've been using these nearly everyday for the last 18 months without problems until about a week ago. While tring to figure out a solution I realized there was an app that you could use to connect to the headphones for updates and such. I had no idea. The firmware that was on my headphones was 1.0.6 and a build date of 4/19/2017. I updated to firmware version 2.5.3. There is no change with the problem. It still powers on a second or two after it is shut off. If I had to guess, this problem is not software related...but it is only a guess.   

Audible Advocate

Westy:

Your firmware situation is certainly a piece of evidence towards the idea that the issue is not due to a firmware update. With a prior version of 1.0.6 when your issue started that is probably the original firmware.

Quiet Contributor

@BigBlue...Yeah I'm pretty sure that was the original firmware. 

For an update: After 10 min of YouTube (which makes you an expert), I took apart the right side housing to see if anything looked broken/worn. Everything looked intact. I decided to service the only thing in there that looked serviceable, the mechanical switch. I put one small drop of electrical contact cleaner (the old school stuff) in the switch and moved the switch on and off about 20 times. After that it turned off as normal. Flip the switch to off, it stays off!

I'm not saying that this is a fix for everyone, but it worked for me. It probably voided any kind warranty I may have had left, but the warranty didn't seem to be much if you were outside of 12 months.

I'll report back in week or so to let you all know if it's still working.  

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter

Contact cleaner will most likely not fix the issue permanently. I thought that same originally and did that about 3 seperate times with the issue continuing to return. The fix that has fixed mine permanently (going on over a month now) is by opening up the switch and pushing the prongs outward that make contact with conductors on the cicuit board to make better contact.

Text instructions here: https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC-35-I-is-Turning-On-By-Itself/m-p/168080#M3...

Pictures here: https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC-35-I-is-Turning-On-By-Itself/m-p/173964/hi...

I have yet to hear a person that has done the @Kivi-Kingas fix and had the problem return. To me it can be debated whether or not it's caused by the headphone case, cables in the case pushing on the switch, or just happens over time through normal usage. My guess is the cables don't help, but I never had cables in mine and didn't have situations that put much pressure on the switch. Mine are mostly on a headphone stand or my head. I don't think the hardware vs software is debatable anymore. There's too much evidence that it's caused by the lack of outward tension of the prongs making solid contact to the conductors on the circuit board which can be remedied by bending them outward as explained in the procedure linked above. You will notice that when you completely remove the switch, the headphones will be on. So that also can suggest that one of the 4 prongs is barely making contact which is what causes the affected users' headphones to mysteriously intermittently power up at random.

If you are going to try to perform the fix yourself here are my 3 tips:

1. Getting the metal cover off the switch housing seems to be tricky. Use a very small thin bladed flathead screwdriver to get under it, and you should be able to pry it off. The cover attaches at the ends with the clasps over the housing, so look at that and try to understand how to manuver the screwdriver to free a clasp on one of the ends. You might be able to get something directly under a clasp from one side, but I was able to do it by gently prying under the main part of the metal cover.
  2. Be sure to keep track of the small spring in the switch. It's super small and can easily be dropped and lost, so try to do it in a confined space that will ensure it doesn't go springing off somewhere where you won't find it.
  3. From my experience, when you remove the switch, the headphones will be in an on state. With the earpads removed, if you place the headphones on a flat surface, you will hear a screeching feedback loop. It's probably due to noise cancellation, so I would disable that or avoid placing them earpiece down on a hard flat surface.