Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 4, 2019

Re: QC 35 series I Turning On By Itself

I'll second Joel's comments about escalating the support call and getting a free replacement. I talked to a 1st line rep for a while and explained the situation in depth, mentioning the known issue. She kept offering variations on the discount of a QC35ii pair, working down from something like $285 to eventually maybe $140. After much discussion (including about 6 times of our conversation getting interrupted because my headset kept tuning on and pairing to my phone while I was talking on the phone) I eventually asked for a supervisor (I had to turn off bluetooth to stop it). The supervisor listened to my situation and promptly offered the free replacement. I haven't received the replacement yet, but it should be here by the end of the week according to tracking. I'm holding out hope that it is a new set and not a refurb, but either will be better than a set that fails as badly as mine were.

I'm not convinced one way or the other about the cause. My situation started a couple weeks after I took them on a multi-flight plane trip last winter (while they were still under warranty, but I thought I had updated firmware and it was a 'feature' so it took a while to work through) so the physical cause seems plausible. But mine would turn on in the case with zero touching and when they did manage to stay off no physical touch of the switch or outer shell would cause them to turn on (as you would expect with a switch contact problem) so it really seemed like a software bug. But I do see that several folks did the physical switch 'fix' with good results and there have been reports of this happening to people with stock (un-upgraded) firmware) so who knows what is actually going on.

What I do know is that Bose is supposed to be a high-quality manufacturer and their product is at the top end of the product category, pricewise, so I expect that either their products don't have these issues or they make the consumer whole if/when things out of their control happen. So far I'm seeing that they are doing the latter with enough perseverance by some customers, but obvsiouly they could be a bit more helpful to people calling in for the first time about this problem. This is literally a 'my $350 product becomes useless at a very young age' situation and that is never good.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 21, 2019

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

I have a pair of quiet comfort 35 hedphones. purchased Otober 2017 so I've had for 15 months.  I only use them when flying, which has been 7 flight legs total since the purchase.  I first noticed the problem on a trip October 2018 - that the headphones were on even through the switch was in the off position - had no battery to use them for my flight home because of this.  I didn't think much of it because I thought maybe the switch got bumped.   I just used them this past week for a trip, and after arriving at my destination I checked the headphones and they were on but in off position (again).  I made sure to charge them right before my flight home so I can use them (that's why I bought them!).  But here I am the day after arriving home, and I found my headphones again turned on while in the off position.  I tried the hard boot, but the headphones won't stay off for me to follow the instructions.  I also updated the software.  I called Bose this morning, and all that Bose wants to offer me is a disocunt on a new pair. I am really angered because if you think about it I've spent about $50 per flight to use the headphones ($350 / 7 flights).  Bose knows there is a problem with them but they want me to buy another pair (I actually inquired to have mine fixed, not replaced).  Has anyone had any luck in fixing this problem?

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

There are two camps here.  If you think it is a bluetooth low energy (BLE) communication issue, then you would have to wait for Bose to update the firmware to address the issue.  Bose has not (and may not) shared what they think is the cause of the situation.  In the meantime, there are users/posters here who believe that the problem is hardware related involving the contacts in the on/off switch which have been moved and intermittently caused the problem.  They have provided DIY descriptions and pictures (can't remember if it is further back in this thread or in one of the many others on this topic) and I have not yet read anyone posting that they followed the instructions and still have the problem.  So if you feel comfortable or have a friend who wants to try, it may be worth pursuing (though as they say, you need to be very careful about not losing the spring).  Otherwise, you can communicate with Bose about a replacement.  Some will ask for money for an exchange, but many others have kept at calling and escalating for a supervisor and have been able to get a free exchange once Bose is aware that the problem is the one we have described here.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 16, 2018

I fixed the switch using the recommended solution and I have not had any more issues in over a month now.  Do I have full confidence the problem won't come back?  Not yet, but so far so good.  I am in the, "it's a poor switch design" camp.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2018

Hi All,

Did you guys notice that there is a new firmware released? The 2.5.5 firmware update seems to be addressing the issue, at least partly. I did not fix the switch yet, so I was able to test the update on an affected QC35I, my findings are:

- It is no longer turning on on its own when fully off, and I'm really happy about this. So It seems like it was a software issue (at least partly).

- However, it does turn on when I press any of the buttons. I'm not sure this is a bug or a feature...

- Also, yesterday the QC35 was charging, when I restarted my iPhone next to it. When the iPhone started, the QC35 turned on while on the charger, played the connection tone, and then went back to charging mode. Very strange, and I have never seen this behavior before. This also suggests software problem in the previous firmware.

So, I'm in the "poor software" camp now. Maybe the switch is also bad, and that is causing the QC35 to turn on at any button press? Strange because this "waking up" is the feature of the sleep mode, so I suspect more software problems.. ("waking up" even if the sleep mode is not enabled, and the switch is off position)

regards,

Peter

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 19, 2019

I am having exactly the same problem. Initially I thought the battery was at fault, because I wasn't watching the unit. Over the last 24 hours we've had it out of its case and in our living space. It's been turning itself on, despite being firmly turned off, disconnected from all bluetooth devices and working on the latest firmware.

Bose's initial customer service reaction was to offer me $375 towards buying a new one, but I can buy one cheaper than that on Amazon (even in Australia), and in any case at this point I am a bit doubtful that the new one will be reliable.

I have not heard back from Bose Customer Service since I pointed the Amazon price out to them.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

You are not likely to hear back and many of the responses will be the same - asking you to pay for an exchange.  Many here have found that if you keeping calling back, possibly escalating to a supervisor and even asking for a US based supervisor in Boston (Bose HQ), you will eventually get someone willing to exchange it at no cost whether it is in warantee or not.  Be also aware that somewhere further back in the post, I believe, are DIY instructions with pictures on how to fix the on/off switch contacts yourself (be very careful not to lose the spring).  I have not read anything in this forum of someone who had the issue, fixed it and still had the issue - that is very promising.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 25, 2019

Yup, same thing happened to my QC35 Series 1, though I wasn't lucky enough to be offered a free replacement. Bose Customer Service wanted me to pay $250 to replace headphones that should last a lot longer than a year. When I explained to them how rediculous that sounded, they offered me 50% off of the price for a new replacement. Again, I don't understand why I should have to pay that much money to REPLACE headphones that WERE DEFECTIVE FROM BOSE. 

I hope others can see this and realize how much Bose stands behind their products...

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi all,

I wanted to jump in here and say that I understand it's frustrating when a product stops working properly. We generally don't repair headphones but would rather replace them with a new pair. Even beyond the warranty period, we try to provide service options that would involve a replacement at a discounted rate. For the available options for your situation, we would encourage you to work closely with your local support team for assistance.

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support