QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

SOLVED
Strident Supporter

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

good data.  i am not an engineer or work for Bose, but if the contacts for the switch are sliding, what you are describing is still consistent with that assumption since they would have turned the phone on themselves eventually - you just probably made it happen faster.   I am guessing that each QC35-i with this issue has its contacts positioned in slightly different physical orientations and so they randomly turn on in different ways.

Strident Supporter

To all - especially the Austrailians....

I had an over one hour phone call today with the manager of customer care at Bose HQ's in Framingham, MA.  He very much agreed with me on all things.  No promises but here is what resulted:

1. He is going to work with engineering early next week to specifically identify what they have discovered concerning their QC35i testing

2. He is going to see if someone in Bose can put up a pinned post here in this forum to communicate what is going on with the QC35i.

3. He agrees that the support policy is not consistent across regions and sometimes not even in the same center.  He wants to see the same thing standardized worldwide.

4. We agreed that everyone should be treated equally and that Austrailians should be no different from Americans, for example.

I spent some time stressing the importance of a win-win for both Bose and its customers who have QC35i's that won't turn off.  I suggested that should Bose verify the situation is caused as we suggested (by a contact displacement in the on/off switch), that once support people identify and verify them as part of that group, that they all offer a free exchange/upgrade to all regardless of whether the units are within warranty or not.  We'll see if Bose agrees to implementing that and how that will get done, if at all.

Animated Arbiter

@joelirwin wrote:

Thank you!

I had an over one hour phone call today with the manager of customer care at Bose HQ's in Framingham, MA.  He very much agreed with me on all things.  No promises but here is what resulted:

1. He is going to work with engineering early next week to specifically identify what they have discovered concerning their QC35i testing

2. He is going to see if someone in Bose can put up a pinned post here in this forum to communicate what is going on with the QC35i.

3. He agrees that the support policy is not consistent across regions and sometimes not even in the same center.  He wants to see the same thing standardized worldwide.

4. We agreed that everyone should be treated equally and that Austrailians should be no different from Americans, for example.

I spent some time stressing the importance of a win-win for both Bose and its customers who have QC35i's that won't turn off.  I suggested that should Bose verify the situation is caused as we suggested (by a contact displacement in the on/off switch), that once support people identify and verify them as part of that group, that they all offer a free exchange/upgrade to all regardless of whether the units are within warranty or not.  We'll see if Bose agrees to implementing that and how that will get done, if at all.

Thank you, Joelirwin.  Very impressive work. Fingers and toes are crossed here.

Animated Arbiter

Re: Headphones power on automatically

Hi,

It's not unusual at all. There's lots of people (including me) with the same problem. If you have a look through earlier posts under Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself you'll see a heap of information about this. Not good news though.

I'm not an expert at doing the linking to previous posts thing, so I've just copied and posted joelirwin's most recent post below. Hope it works. If it doesn't have a look at the thread I mention above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had an over hour phone call with the manager of customer care at Bose HQ's in Framingham, MA.  He very much agreed with me on all things.  No promises but here is what resulted:

Animated Arbiter

@heidirobbin wrote:

I would like to thank them too. I just called and my warranty has expired (last month) but they offered to send me a new pair of the QC35 II as well after I send in my deffective pair! So helpful and appreciated! 

Lucky possum! You don't live in Australia, I'm guessing?

Highlighted
Strident Supporter

@VojoDuring my conversation with the Manager of Customer Care of Bose in Framingham (their HQs in the Boston area) on Fri, we spent some amount of time discussing the inconsistency of the Bose suppport response and policy worldwide.  I was emphatic multiple times that the Austrailians were not being treated consistently vis a vis the other Bose support regions.  He said he was not aware of that and wanted to see a consistent response.   Now I can not guarantee anything especially as I am just a customer like the rest of you, but I am hoping that Bose realizes this is a significant issue that requires a fair offer of free exchange for anyone worldwide reporting the issue.

We now need to wait to see what Bose does and whether over time the response changes as they try to change and reimplement their policy vis a vis this issue - could be some number of weeks at a minimum.

p.s. - I'm from Texas Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Audible Advocate

Hi,

Guys, as you might remember, I had this problem, and I had the opinion that this problem may be entirely firmware-related. It started right after updating the firmware to the version where BLE was introduced, and it seems the latest update (2.5.5) made the problem a little less bad. (previously it turned back on right after turning off, now it stays off when turning off, and turns on randomly)

Back then, I asked for instructions on how to safely remove the metal plate on the switch, yesterday I had the chance to remove it by pushing a very thin x-acto knife blade under the plate and popping it off. After bending the prongs as instructed here I put everyting back together, and... the problem did not go away, it is still turning on like before. It turns on when unplugging the charger, it turns on when I press any of the buttons, and it turns on randomly without touching it.

Also, since I discovered the problem, I fold the QC35 the other way around when putting it in the case, so the cables are not pusing the switch.

So it seems fairly sure that the cause of the problem is not the switch, or not the switch alone (at least in my case..)

What do you guys think?

regards,

Peter

Friendly Fanatic

Hi @molnarp. It's very possible you simply didn't bend the prongs far enough. After it didn't work, did you take the switch back out and try bending the prongs a bit more? For the several other people who tried this process and posted here it's worked fine. In my case I did it almost three months ago and it fixed the problem immediately and entirely.

Audible Advocate

Hi @Kivi-Kingas,

Yes you were perfectly right. I did not bend them enough, I'd never think I'd need to bent them this far. Almost perpendicular to the switch, I was really afraid that they would break, or bend inwards when putting them back. Anyway, issue fixed for me, now when off, it does not turn on when pressing any buttons, and it does not emit a BLE signal when off (confirmed by BLE Scanner app)

Attaching a photo of how far the prongs need to be bent to help others having the same issue:
IMG_1984.JPG

regards,

Peter

Animated Arbiter

@joelirwin wrote:

@VojoDuring my conversation with the Manager of Customer Care of Bose in Framingham (their HQs in the Boston area) on Fri, we spent some amount of time discussing the inconsistency of the Bose suppport response and policy worldwide.  I was emphatic multiple times that the Austrailians were not being treated consistently vis a vis the other Bose support regions. 

Joelirwin, you’re fabulous, thank you for pursuing the matter so diligently and for carrying the Australian flag for us. We are getting no response from the Bose mob here.

p.s. - I'm from Texas Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Yay for Texans!