Paul Lepa
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Re: Headphones power on automatically

So, contacted my friendly BOSE support center, and they keep telling me to pay them money for new headphones.    What a crazy, crazy way to loose customers.      I can see the tech support is just drones following some SOP, but somehone in the managment role at BOSE has written that , so we cannot blame the drones, but rather BOSE managment on how they handle product defects and repairs.   

Further - I really don't know what the 'moderators' on this forum are doing.  They are refering people to tech support.

It all feels a bit like a money grab from BOSE.   I wouldn not be surprised when a lawyer gets his BOSE broken, and will launch a class action again Bose.

2019-04-03_15-49-59.png

Vojo
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 19, 2019

I'm finding that my faulty Bose headphones interfere with my iphone. That is, when I walk into the house the headphones try to pair with the phone, even though they are turned off. They cut in on calls I instigate on the iphone, taking over the line and causing the line to drop out before the receiver can answer. They cut in before I can answer incoming calls. It is often not clear that this is happening or that this is caused by the headphones - I've only really just worked it out.

So i can't even use these headphones by leaving them on charge all the time. I'll have to let them go dead because to keep them charged means I have to not use my iphone in the house.

I wonder if this willy-nilly Bluetooth activity is a problem on a plane? If you can't turn the dratted thing off, surely it's a danger?

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

Hi Vojo, 

Thanks for reaching out. I am really sorry you are experiencing issues with your QC35 headphones. 

As you have tried all troubleshooting steps, the best option here would be to reach out to your local customer support centre and explore the service options for your headset. You can do this by clicking this link here, selecting your region, scrolling to the bottom of the page, and selecting contact us. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

PaulBellis
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 4, 2019

Don’t bother contacting customer support they are not really helpful unless you want to part with a couple of hundred pounds, just unpair your headphones and re pair every single time you want to use them. It’s a real pain but at least you don’t keep getting cut of on phone calls.

Vojo
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 19, 2019

Thanks for the advice. I’ll have to do that, I guess. It’s another annoyance. The headphones actually are very reluctant to pair, so once I’ve got them paired I hate to unpair them. And so, it seems, are they....always checking to re-pair.... I’ve gone right off these headphones!

Vojo
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 19, 2019

Vicky W, Moderator, has suggested in this forum that I contact my local office. In the spirit of “never say die” (or maybe I’m just a fool) I’m trying one more time. This time I’ve given email a go so I don’t have to fight my way past the early trenches and listen to the auto-spiel.
dsept
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 4, 2019

I just started having this problem 3 days ago and have been trying to get customer service.  The options via phone simply are non-functional (press 1 for repair, 1 for BT devices, and the system hangs up on you).  I resorted to text tech support, and after a 5-hour asynchronous exchange, I was told this was a "feature" of my QC35's related to the Bluetooth Low Energy feature that has the headphones power on when they are near a BT device.  OK ... First, why hasn't this occured in the past two years if this is a true feature, and second, how is this actually useful?  My headphones now take over the audio of my phone and/or computer without my knowledge, and I have missed both calls and text messages since the audio is going to my headphones (turned off in their case).  

A real and practical solution to this problem would be nice.  An honest answer from Bose would be a bonus.

Highlighted
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Vojo @dsept  Guys - as you can tell from the 58 screens in this post alone, this is NOT something specific to your Bose QC35's and unfortunately there is NO workaround.  Also, Bose support people do NOT have a consistent response for this problem - that is a problem in of itself.  NO NO NO - it is NOT a Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) issue and it can NOT be fixed by a firmware upgrade.  That is what we thought six months ago and some Bose people still think that it can be fixed by firmware.  It can NOT.  It is a hardware problem and as you can see from all the earlier screen in this post alone back 3 or 4months ago, it has been definatively been determine by the customers/users here that the problem lies in shifting contacts in the on/off switch.

So you really only have two options (other than to live with it and keep it constantly charging when not in use):

1. You can use the instructions and pictures earlier in this post to fix it yourself.  Everyone who has tried that and posted here after the fix has stated that the problem has disappeared.

2. If you are not a DIY'er, you will need to call Bose and first go through their troubleshooting steps.  Then you inform them you are part of the larger class of QC35s with this problem and ask for a FREE exchange (to a QC35ii) and that should be done whether or not you are within the one year WARANTEE.  Free.  Many support people have not yet gotten the word to do the free exchange and so they will offer an exchange and ask you to pay.  REFUSE.  If they are not willing to do so, hang up and call another one.  And if you need to escalate and you may need to do that multiple times.  Be Persistent!  If you try long enough, you will eventually get someone who will give you the free exchange.  Everyone here who has gone that approach has received an exchange.  I am hearing here that in some countries, the support people may not be willing to do it (like Austrailia and Germany).  If so, ask for a US based support supervisor.  If they don't give you one, google the main Bose number (not the support number) for Bose HQ in Framingham, Mass.  Then ask for a support supervisor and explain why.  Peristance will pay off.

dsept
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 4, 2019

As a followup, I finally got through to custormer service on the phone.The steps went as follows:

1. "Your headphones are out of warranty" - "This is not a warranty issue, but a manufacturing defect" - put on hold for a few minutes

2.  "We can offer you the QC35ii for 50% off" - "That doesn't seem fair since this is a defect with your product" - again put on hold

3. "We will exchange your headphones for a new pair of QC35ii at no cost"

I understand Bose is reluctant to open up the gates to replace all these defective sets, but persistence does pay off here.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@dseptGood.  when you get the pair, check the serial number so you know if you have an AE model or an AZ model.  The AZ supports Bose's AR and the AE does not.  However, there are those here who are having 'issues' with the ANC with the AZ model, especially in quiet environments.