QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

SOLVED
Bose Best Answer selected by ModeratorMohsin_S
Wistful Whisperer

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

This is not a solution. I contacted customer support and I was offered a new QC35II for a £50 discount!! This is not a solution from a reputable company such as yours. My warrantly finished on 19th March 2019!! and this issue is not an expected problem! A lot of people are reporting it and I think BOSE has a reputationa and should come clean and replace speakers with new ones for all the people that have been affected.

Wistful Whiz

@iahmed 

I do not work for Bose but based on my observations in these forums and via the phone with Bose reps, this is my personal opinion:

1. It is highly unlikely that Bose will do a 'recall' - it would cause a massive PR and branding issue.  They have been tell us since last Nov - perhaps earlier for others, that they have engineers looking into the problem.  They have not yet shared with us the results of their testing and conclusions.  I wonder if they will ever officially claim ownership of the problem as a 'hardware defect'.

2. Bose is more likely going to prefer to do replacements/exchanges and make it sound like it is a 'one time offer' and that they are doing 'us a favor'.

3. I discussed months ago with corporate support manager in Framingham the need to have a consistent stance across all the call centers worldwide.  I was told that is the direction it is heading - perhaps they need more time.... from reading here and my personal conversations, I have seen and heard absolutely no changes in 2019.

4. For those not DIY'er, I still believe that persistence will pay off.  No matter how many times in or out of warantee you are told you need to pay for an exchange - PERSISTENCE will get you the free exchange.  Just keep calling and escalating.  Everyone who kept at it, finally got a support person to 'make an exception'/'it's a one time offer'.  This is the only 'win-win' currently available to QC35i customers right now.

Quiet Contributor

My device is having this issue as well. I commented on one of "@Bose" Twitter post and someone from "@BoseService" responded. We'll find out where this goes. I think that we all have to complain through their social media accounts. It is ridiculous that their first line of support team offers a "discount" for us to purchase a new generation of the device as a fix to a hardware problem.

Silent Starter

I fixed the problem myself. It has to do withthe prongs in the switch being bent back too much where it is not making contact. All you have to do is bend it back the other way and voila! If you would like more detailed instructions, email me at misokawa310@yahoo.com.
Highlighted
Animated Arbiter

No need to email, they are already captured in these public posts in back in this thread:

Text instructions here: https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC-35-I-is-Turning-On-By-Itself/m-p/168080#M3... credit: @Kivi-Kingas

Pictures here: https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC-35-I-is-Turning-On-By-Itself/m-p/173964/hi... credit: @qiangliu

Audible Advocate

Bought mine June 2016, best offer from UK support was out of warranty replacements for £200. I tried the prong bending fix which has worked for now, though at the cost of some trauma to the metal switch cover. Thanks to everyone on this thread for the support sadly lacking from Bose.
Audible Advocate

QC35s turning themselves on and draining the battery

I have a pair of bluetooth QC 35s that are about 2.5 years old. For the past several months, my 35s have turned themselves on when the switch is in the off position, causing the battery to drain continuously. This basically makes them unusable as portable headphones since i need to charge them up before every use. I've updated the software and I've done a reset on the bluetooth memory, and neither have changed this behavior. I called bose customer service, and they told me I've already exhausted all my troubleshooting options, and their only solution was to offer me a discount on a new pair.

Anyone have any guidance for addressing this problem? I definitely thought these headphones would last longer than this, so I'm a bit reluctant to pay for a replacement (even discounted) if they only last a couple years. 

Audible Advocate

Re: QC35s turning themselves on and draining the battery

@ksut: You found the right thread. Go back through it. It lays out your several options in great detail. The best option (in my opinion) is to contact support and be persistent in requesting a free replacement.

Silent Starter

Service center in Korea said I need to pay 300 dollars to change it.

Quiet Contributor

Fwiw: I've previously talked to customer service for Denmark on the phone and gotten the usual "offer" of buying a new pair. Recently made a second attempt and got in touch with customer service through email instead and convinced them to send me a replacement even though I was out of warranty.