QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

SOLVED
Highlighted
Audible Advocate

QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

In the last 2 weeks my QC35-I headphones are having issues with the power button. Sometimes the power won't come on but I've checked later and it is charged, Othertimes the power comes on automatically and I haven't touched the switch.

Is this a hardware issue?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Author Accepted Answer selected by d_moncrieff

Accepted Solutions
Wistful Whiz

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

Yes - it IS a hardware issue and you have two options:

1. Fix it yourself

2. Ask Bose perhaps 10 to 20 times or more for an exchange - PERSISTENCE will win you a free exchange even out of warrantee

Turns out the contacts in the on/off switch have moved causing the problem on hundreds if not thousands (who knows? Smiley Happy ) of QC-35i's.  I exchange mine last Nov.  The problem has been ongoing for over a year.  Bose has not officially said or done anything about it.

I would say more but you can read all 65 screens of: https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC-35-I-is-Turning-On-By-Itself/m-p/106140#M3...

4 REPLIES 4
Wistful Whiz

Yes - it IS a hardware issue and you have two options:

1. Fix it yourself

2. Ask Bose perhaps 10 to 20 times or more for an exchange - PERSISTENCE will win you a free exchange even out of warrantee

Turns out the contacts in the on/off switch have moved causing the problem on hundreds if not thousands (who knows? Smiley Happy ) of QC-35i's.  I exchange mine last Nov.  The problem has been ongoing for over a year.  Bose has not officially said or done anything about it.

I would say more but you can read all 65 screens of: https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC-35-I-is-Turning-On-By-Itself/m-p/106140#M3...

Silent Starter

I got my first QC 35i in August, 2017. They were amazing and I absolutely loved them. After almost a year of using them, the same issue occurred where the headphones would turn on randomly and connect to absolutely anything they could. I quickly rushed to a bose store and luckily got them replaced under warranty just a few days before it expired. 

Its now 1 August 2019 and guess what!!!! The exact same thing has happened! I am extremely heart broken at this point.... as an international student the $350 I spent on my bose headphones was a huge amount for me to spend on headphones and it feels like an absolute waste!!! Especially since I was extra extra careful with my second pair knowing what happened to the first.

This is very upsetting and I really never thought these headphones would only last 11 frekin months under extreme care!!!! PLEASE HELP. Can they be replaced???? Can they be fixed????? Can I be compensated in anyway???

THANK YOU 

Hi there @Maarij and welcome to the Bose Community!

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you've been having with your QC35 headphones and I would be happy to advise here.

If you haven't already, can I suggest that you perform the following troubleshooting steps for this?

1) Perform a reset of your product by powering off your product, waiting 30 seconds, connecting your product to a wall outlet using a USB charger and then waiting five seconds. After this, disconnect the USB cable from the headset, then wait one minute before powering the product on again.

2) Please head to our Updater Website and install the most up-to-date firmware to your headset. You will need to connect your headset to a computer to manage this.

If you have done both of the above, I would advise that you reach back out to Bose Support by selecting your country/region, and navigating to "Contact Us" at the bottom of that page. This team will be able to assist you further if needed.

Please follow up with these when you can!

Liam W

Wistful Whiz

@Liam_W 

Comeon... Bose has already publically said HERE two or so weeks ago in a post that this issue is a hardware problem and can not be fixed any other way including troubleshooting and a firmware update.  Your customers have also independently last Fall 2018 confirmed it is a hardware issue caused by the slippage of the contacts in the on/off switch.  Unless @Maarij plans to use the instructions and pictures in the other much longer QC35i turning on post. the only option is an exchange for a QC35ii - which is being done at no cost for customers with this problem both IN and OUT of warranty.

@MaarijSee my comments above on how to proceed and read the longer other post if you want to --- you are part of a large group of QC35i's with the exact same problem - I had that problem last November.