Crimsyn
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 22, 2019

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

I just now finished a conversation with the Support Manager.

I've been told that my QC35 serial number does not fall within the range of reported units with this "auto on" issue.

So what?  Mine are exhibiting the same issue!

They said the best they could do is give a discount on the QC 35 II - which is ridiculous when there are hundreds of reports of this issue with QC35 units.

My unit is 2 years old, but I've only used it probably 15 times.  They are in practically "MINT" condition.

I was told Bose does not fix headphones.

I have no need to pay more money for an upgrade.

This issue appears to be endemic to the QC 35 and Bose should fix or replace them.

I am totally disappointed in the way Bose has handled this issue.

For $350, you get told that if you have an issue you have to pay more to just upgrade...

As I sit here, the QC35 just turned itself on and tried to pair with my phone.

It wasn't touched, it wasn't in the case - it was just lying here on my desk while I enter this...

It's done this 5 times in a row after I keep turning it off...

No wonder the battery is dead whenever I pull it out of the case and want to use it...

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@CrimsynBose support people are all getting different stories.  There is absolutely no way for them to know which serial numbers have the problem and which do not.  Even if they are keeping track of the ones turned in, there could still be units out there with the problem that are outside the range.  As 'the say' - the problem is the problem.  If you have the behavior you have the problem regardless of what the serial number is.

So if you want to fix the contacts yourself, go back in this thread for instructions and pictures.  That is the solution - everyone doing it has reported the problem gone.

If you want to go for the exchange - be aware you may needed significant PERSISTENCE.  Those who do eventually get the free exchange REGARDLESS of how old the unit is.  Thing is getting to a support person authorized to do the free exchange.  Otherwise, you will get someone who wants you to pay.  IGNORE THEM.  Call back and if necessary escalate and you may need to do so many times.  You will eventually get a support person to help.  There are some countries I see from posts here such as Austrailia and Germany, where it could be a greater challenge.  If you can't get a support person from your country to help - ask for a U.S. based support person.  If they refuse to send you to one, GOOGLE the main number for BOSE HQ in Framingham, Mass - do not use any Bose support phone number.

Phx770
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 7, 2019

I was texting with a support agent yesterday but was not successful at getting an exchange. I told him exactly what you stated about the bogus warranty excuse. I dont know what the next step i should take.
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Phx770Do exactly what I said above - PERSISTENCE.  Keep calling and escalating.  Depending on your location, you may have to call 10 or more times.  If one doesn't work, stop talking to them and call someone else.

Larry Okechobee
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 28, 2019

In case anyone is interested: I had the same problem with the headphones turning themselves on, which were under warranty fortunately. With the switch in the off position, the headphones could be turned on with a press of the volume buttons as well. The pair that I had were QC35 series 2, limited edition (midnight blue), manufacture date August 2018. 

I sent photos of the issue to the service centres at Bose Australia (where I purchased them), and Bose Germany (where I currently reside) clearly showing the green power and white bluetooth lights illuminated with the power being in the off position. 

The service from both locations were in fact great, and both confirmed their willingness to replace them without any arguement. All I was asked to do was ensure that the firmware was up to date, and try to do a reboot (which was not possible due to the fact that the power would also turn on as soon as I unplugged the USB cable). I did however process the claim through Germany as this is where I currently am. 

I received the return shipping label shortly thereafter, sent the headphones out to the Bose centre in Belgium last Thursday, and received a replacement pair, brand new in original retail box, today (Tuesday). The blue ones were not available so I now have a black pair (manufacture date March 2019). One thing I would note is that the buttons on this black pair appear to be slightly stiffer, and the power button appears to have less give, so perhaps the design/construction is slightly different than the blue pair, both of which were series 2s. 

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

I noticed the same thing about the QC35ii exchange when I  got them after sending back my QC35i - much stiffer on/off switch.  My guess back last Nov when I posted about it here was the engineers probably new about the issue long before last Nov and fixed it for the QC35ii.

I am curious though you said QC35ii.  I do not recollect anyone here that I have read having the issue with the QC35ii.  This thread and the known problem is with the QC35i.  If you had a problem with a QC35ii having that behavior I am guessing that would be truely 'rare' at this point.

Highlighted
zdev
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 28, 2019

For anyone interested, Bose is still doing free replacements.

I contacted Bose via text support. Best they offered was $259 replacement but was encouraged to call since $259 was the best they could offer over text support. I then called and they reiterated the same $259 replacement. After some back and forth, they finally offered 50% off. I found the rep via text support to be much more willing to help so I requested via text for the issue to be escalated. Was later called by a supervisor who said that the Bose moderator posting here claiming that it's a hardware issue doesn't work for Bose and that Bose still doesn't know if it's a hardware or software issue (or even an issue it all. The rep said ~4% of headphones have some issue so the faulty power switch isn't really a known/common issue). The rep adamently claimed 50% off was the best that Bose would do regardless of whom I spoke to. I then asked if there was someone else I could speak to and was given the number to call Bose in Framingham even though 50% was supposedly the best offer. Spoke with the rep at Bose corporate, described the issue, ran through a couple troubleshooting questions to ensure it wasn't another known software issue with desktops and the rep offered a free replacement. No need to ask for it. Very pleasant interaction.

It seems that reps across Bose are not on the same page. The rep at corporate was very friendly, easy to talk to, and understanding. Unfortunate that it took 3 other reps first to get to this point. Be persistent.

ianh.chan
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 28, 2019

Does anyone know if the free replacement only applies to units still within warrenty? I've had my QC-35 i for a couple of years so I'm pretty sure my warrenty is long over. However, I've only recently started receiving the turn on issue recently in the past 2 weeks or so. I also no longer have the receipt for when I bought my headphones. 

zdev
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 28, 2019

It does NOT only apply to units within warranty. Mine is almost 1 year past when my warranty ended. You will need to be persistent though to get the free replacement. The lower reps will push for the $259 replacement and might offer 50% as their best offer. Escalate higher up until you get someone who is able to replace it for free since it's a manufacturing defect. If the reps ask you to update your firmware and to a hard reset, oblige them. It won't fix the issue but they need to follow their script. It's already been confirmed that this a hardware, not software issue.

jraff
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 29, 2019

Just wanted to throw in my 2 pence and say the fix described on page 39 completely solved the problem for me too. It's not difficult and I'd recommend anybody with this issue to try it. The issue started with mine when they were 6 weeks past the warrany expired. Definitely seems like a design fault with the button and external pressure causing the prongs to bend outwards.

I moved out to the Philippines after buying the headphones in the UK, I tried a few times to contact Bose support out here and didn't get a reply, fixing them myself took about 40 mins tops.