Highlighted

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

Hi everyone,

We would like to thank everyone who has been active in reporting the issue to us. We really appreciate everyone taking the time to write in and for sharing your feedback. 

As mentioned by the moderation team a little while back in this thread, our team collected sample products and investigated the issue. The result of the investigation confirmed that the issue, which affects a small portion of headphones, is not software related and therefore is not something which could be corrected via troubleshooting or an update to the Firmware.

We understand the frustration caused when a product stops working properly and we want to ensure you’re getting the most out of your headphones. If you're experiencing this issue, we would recommend giving our technical support team in your region a call so we can assist you.

Contact information can be found here. Please select your region and scroll down to “Contact Us.”

Thank you again everybody and we hope you have a great day.

Warm Regards, 

Community Admin

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Moderators - thank you after all this time to come back to us and confirm that Bose has determined that the issue is hardware.

if you can answer this, please do so -

1. You have told us here what it is not but not what it is.  Can you confirm the hardware problem is associated with the on/off switch contacts as reported here by the users?

2. You have said it can not be solved through a firmware upgrade or troubleshooting but you have stopped short of a solution but merely asking customers to call the technical support team.  So what, if anything has changed?  They have already been calling the technical support team and are being told to pay for an exchange.  Are you planning on changing the policy on exchange for those reporting this issue or is it still 'status quo'? In other words, customers out of warrantee are having to call back repeatedly until they finally get a support person or support supervisor willing to exchange it at no cost.  So will all support people now be willing to do the free exchange or are the customers still going to have to make those 'multitudes' of software searching for a support person willing to do the exchange for free?

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

joelirwin, I'm not a moderator, but I've been tinkering with my headset today and the problem with mine is the switch.  I have taken it apart and I can short the switch contacts to turn my headset on and off and it stays off with the switch disassembled.  I'm thinking of wiring up a hacked switch of my own and calling it a day.  🙂

Highlighted

Hi Joelirwin, 

Welcome back!

All the information we have regarding the reports is in the post above by Community Admin. 

In terms of Service Options, as these differ between region, we will be unable to accurately state if these have changed. We are recommending that customers experiencing this issue get in contact with their local Support Team for the most up to date information in their region. 

I hope this clarifies for you! As always, come back to us if there is anything else! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 15, 2019

Jessie,

I respectfully understand where you are coming from, however we have now had upwards of 10-15 members just in this thread alone who have had the issue and have had their replaced - so there's plenty of evidence to cooborate the findings found in here In fact, as your engineers will more than likely be aware, the cause of this issue, and associated fix has also been posted. I am an electronic engineer by trade, and I understand what people have said here, and around the fix people have proved to be successful. To advise that the engineers have not been able to find a cause is just insulting.

I understand that Bose wouldnt want to publically announce this issue... however surely the least they could do is that when people with genuine issues contact them, stop trying to fleece people out of more £££/$$$ to replace them... i would hate to think how many people have been duped by this technique by your front line staff.

I am also aware through discussions with your team that advisors are all well aware of this issue.

So please - give those with genuine reposted problems a break, and be honest with them and stop trying to extract more money from them.

I have now decided not to purchase your new 700 series headphones as i was planning to, based upon these practices. I had the lack of "support" from your customer service advisors too.. i only succeeded after 4 emails to the UK support, 6 phone calls to US support, one call to head office, and finally one last call in desparation to the US again, who was good enough to transfer me to one of the UK operatives who was based just 50 miles up the road from me, and who replaced them without question.

All i wish was that Customer service Reps were honest and up front with callers, and stopped the money games, instead of outright lying.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Jessie_O 

With all due respect to Bose and I am certainly a greatful customer myself since Bose exchanged my QC35i for a QC35ii last Nov at no cost - what you are telling me is:

1. Bose is unwilling to share the exact hardware cause with us though most of us suspect it is the contacts in the on/off switch.  Is Bose suggesting it is a different hardware cause?

2. Back in Jan it was suggested to me by Bose (though not as an official policy), that there should NOT be differences and service options between regions on this issue.  If the issue is the on/off switch which is faulty, people here in my humble opinion, need to understand why there is a difference among say, the U.S., Austrailia, Germany, India, etc. with regard to whether a particular unit gets a free exchange or not.  Is Bose suggesting, for example that as long as I say live in Texas with my QC35i, you will have one exchange policy for that unit but if I physically relocate with the SAME unit to say China, then your exchange policy for that same unit is different?   Wouldn't you say a broken QC35 due to a faulty on/off switch deserves the same treatment no matter where it is physically located?  If not, those here from various countries need to understand why not.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 19, 2018

@Community_Admin wrote:

"The result of the investigation confirmed that the issue, which affects a small portion of headphones"

The defect seems to manifest itself over time with normal usage. This defect may exist in EVERY single QC35-1 out there at some point, but maybe hasn't crossed the age threshold and or switch usage that makes the switch prongs straighten enough to not make solid contact with the conductor on the circuit board.

Bose needs to own up to this an issue some formal statement and an official replacement process for those affected by the defect. All you are doing by telling people to contact Bose support where most people are being told to pay for an exchange if theirs is out of warranty is killing the credibility and reputation of Bose. Some people are getting free replacements, but it seems from all the feedback in this thread that you have to aggressive with the support person, escalate, or repeatedly call back and hopefully get the right person to finally convince them to do it.

This coupled with the ANC reported issues, I don't know how you are going to keep your reputation and customers. I know that I would have a hard time buying another set of headphones from Bose.

https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/What-s-changed-with-QC35-s-new-Firmware-3-0-3

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/16/20696186/bose-qc35ii-headphones-worse-noise-cancellation-problems

https://www.techradar.com/amp/news/bose-qc35-noise-cancelling-was-gimped-by-recent-software-update-c...

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 14, 2019

I completely agree. As a consumer of good products, I don’t mind paying a bit more if I am getting quality products. I myself called 3 times till I was able to get management to send me a replacement. I have not received it but will await for it. I consider Bose being a quality brand and hope they stand up to it. Good luck everyone who is having this issue. I love my headphones.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 14, 2019

I don’t believe Bose is saying the issue is something else. I have spoken to three different reps and they all admitted that the QC35 Headphones have a problem. What I am upset about is the hassle I had to go through in getting a replacement for a product defect. 

I agree regardless of your location, obtaining assistance when reporting this problem should be the same way. 

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

Re: Headphones power on automatically

Thankyou Thankyou thankyou.... Saved me a tone of money, time and better yet it works. So much better than the £25 off the price of a new set that BOSE offed me.,,,