mcx1235
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 9, 2017

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

I had a pair of QC35I with the same problem.  Took it to Bose factory store in Rosemount IL. and they N/C exchanged the cans with QC35IIs. It's a known problem.  They pulled it up on their computer to confirmed and exchanged my 2 plus year old ones no questions asked.

Nodelic
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

Hello,

I know this is an old problem but I ran into it recently and I came across this thread while attempting to find a fix. After some playing around with the headphones, I did manage to fix the problem of the headphones turning on spontaneously.

The headphones seem to be attempting to connect to a device that it thinks it is connected to, but isn't actually connected to. When I looked at the device the heaphones thought it was connected to, the device does not appear to recognize the headphones as connected. Fortunately I had been able to connect the headphones to a second smart device via the headphone app. I used the second device to erase all the connections that I could from the headphones, and then I used the app to attempt to disconnect the headphones from the first device. The app appeared to freeze, but when I turned the headphones off they stayed off. When I turned the headphones back on the connections had been erased and the headphones appeared to function normally. I don't know if this is helpful 1.5+ years later, but I hope that if someone else comes to this thread looking for a solution you can try at home for free first that they have place to start. 

boopsa66@Hotmail.com
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 14, 2019

I assumed the headphones app provided an option to disconnect any other devices while allowing to stay connected to this one device, correct? 

Highlighted
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Nodelic  with all due respect, you might have a very unusual pair of headphones or an issue with a similar symptom.  Or perhaps you think you have solved the issue and eventually the symptoms will re-appear.  This symptom/issue has been going on since at least the beginning 2018 and is very definately a hardware issue for which there is absolutely no way to fix other than to repair the on/off switch contacts as described in this thread or to exchange them through Bose.  Dozen of users here have confirmed this and Bose a few weeks back did post that the issue is not software or process related (though they did not go so far as to agree with us that it is a contact slippage).

Akshat.m.sharma
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 13, 2019

Re: Headphones power on automatically

Thanks man! You're god sent. You saved me so much money. This was a very easy fix and definitely works ! Would recommend 10/10. 

will come back after a few weeks of testing to update the situation. 
thanks again !23978A03-B451-400B-A3D1-26C2F1434B7F.jpeg

mailme0193
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 14, 2019

$379 hair band!

I was excited when I got my first Bose headphones after experiencing Beats. The QC35 I. It was great. It started to turn on itself as many of the people in this forum has seen. I kept it away.

I noticed it this week and wanted to see how I can fix it. Got in touch with CS who asked ~$200 for replacement.

I really thought Bose will try to keep customers happy especially when it comes to faulty hardware being sold for $379. 

A very sad experience.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: $379 hair band!

@mailme0193 

If you read more of the screens in this thread you will learn that the "CS" experiences varies since they all don't have the same info and instructions.  If you are asked to pay whether or not you are in warrantee.  REFUSE.  Just call back and keep calling back and if necessary escalate to a supervisor and then keep calling back.  It is all about PERSISTENCE.  Those who do have reported here that eventually they explain to a representative they are part of a larger class of QC35i's and Bose knows and has stated here in this thread that it is a known hardware problem.  You will eventually find someone who is willing to exchange the QC#5i for a QC35ii for FREE.

asteriskadonis
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 15, 2019

Re: $379 hair band!

Hello everyone,

New to the froum, just wanted to confirm what @joelirwin says above and share my own recent experiences. I was waiting until I received my free replacement QC35iis in the mail, which came the other day. Like many other people, after only a couple years of extremely light use, my QC35is started turning themselves on at random and connecting to whatever bluetooth devices were in range, draining the battery and making it difficult to watch TV (the sound on my TV kept cutting out mysteriously, driving me crazy until I figured out what was going on--the TV was connecting to the QC35is even though they were switched off). I had never heard of this problem before but a quick google search brought me here. Like other people have reported, when I first called Bose I was given the run-around as follows: 1) I was initially told there was absolutely nothing they could do as my headphones were well out of warranty; 2) when I escalated and asked to speak to a supervisor they said they could give me $100 off a new pair of QC35iis just as a courtesy; 3) when I again refused and asked to speak to a supervisor I was told that they could give me $220 off a new pair of QC35iis; 4) when I continued to insist on a free replacement I was eventually connected to a supervisor who I had to argue/debate with for about 15 minutes; 5) eventually I asked to speak to his supervisor, was told he had no supervisor, but was eventually connected to some other supervisor who finally approved my request and sent me a shipping label to return my defective QC35is for free replacement with brand new QC35iis. So this is all just to say: be persistent! It helped me to emphasize that I had hardly used my headphones, only on long flights, they were in mint condition, etc. It seemed like they needed an excuse to justify replacing my headphones since they had been out of warranty for so long. It also helped to tell them about this forum, where many people (like me) have reported that Bose is replacing defective QC35is with this particular known defect even if they are out of warranty. (The first supervisor I talked to denied that this was a known issue, which is BS, and I told him so.) YMMV. Good luck!

Gr1pen
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 18, 2019

Re: Headphones power on automatically

Excellent. This solved the problem on my pair of QC35, that was driving me crazy!

Thanks!

dcb0ys09
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 22, 2019

FIXED PROBLEM READ BELOW!

So I just ran into this issue as well over the last month on my 1st Gen QC 35.

I reached out to tech support and they did want $269 for a new pair, and eventually dropped me down to $190 since I was out of warranty even though I had little usage. I would not agree to pay but I was able to fix mine after a few days.

I used the method here outlined by pictures. I removed the ear pads, unscrewed the cup, removed the power button, "CAREFULLY" removed the small metal clip for the power button slider "extremely small spring be careful" And i bent my pins back upwards so they werent so flattened out.

THIS DID NOT FIX IT YET!

So I put it all back together and still, if I hit the volume buttons with switch off the headphones turned on, and then the headphones just started turning on by themselves again, and eventually I could not turn off. I took them apart again, same as in the previous described solution, and with the power button completely out the headphone still turned on by themselves. I found a method on youtube where a guy was using 91% alcohol to clean the terminals where the power switch slides. I left my headphones on for 2 days to fully drain the battery, and then i used a cotton swab and some 91% rubbing alcohol and dropped a few drops on the contact points of the slider terminal. I did this twice and fully let dry. This cleaned off any corrosion from humidity etc.

I put everything back together, charged them fully. Turned them off and they did not turn on once over night. I hit every volume button on here and again they still did not turn on anymore.Only way these turn on now is when I actually use the slider button.

So with the Solution Method outlined in this discussion with all the pictures, and use of 91% alcohol once the slider button was fully removed , my problem is now fixed.

$3 bottle of alcohol was all that was needed and a small tweaker screwdriver.