Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

@samee 

I'm getting lazy - see my response on the top of page 78 to @mehringe 

Super Jinzo
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Oct 16, 2019

QC-35 not getting turned off

I bought my QC-35 I at the end of 2016 (or beginning of 2017) from a U.S store, so they are not under warranty anymore. Two month ago, they started getting turned on alone even if the button is on power off. I went to a local bose shop in France, and they told me to contact the assistance on bose.fr. After doing so, they told me the best that they can do is offer me 15% reduction on the new NC 700 headphones because my warranty has expired. When I pay so much for a headphone, I expect them to last for multiple years. Apparently, this is a know issue and has hit many users. The contact at bose.fr remains firm that they cannot do anything other than offer me a 15% reduction because my warranty has expired and they have stated that they cannot repair them. I do not mind to pay for reparations, but why should I be forced to buy the new headphones at nearly full price without any guarantee that the same issue won't occur anymore.

Re: QC-35 not getting turned off

Hello Super Jinzo, 

Thanks for reaching out to the community. I am very sorry to hear that you are experiencing a power issue with your QuirtComfort 35 Headphones. 

Unfortunately via the community we are unable to assist with any service options these will need to be discussed with your regions support team and I apologise that their outcome for this situation has provided some disappointment. Due to hygiene reasons, we do not repair damaged headphones as a service option, because of this we will provide an exchange for a new headset. 

I do apologise that you have had this service and that we are unable to assist you with this matter further via this platform. 

Warm regards, 

Tegan M - Community Support 

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

I am bumping this since people are still coming to this forum with the issue.  Perhaps it can get 'pinned'.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Super Jinzo 

With all due respect, the moderator's response has nothing to do with your situation/issue.  Unfortunately your QC35 is experiencing a 'known' hardware problem which has was first identified early in 2018 (maybe in 2017???).  The contacts in the on/off switch are slipping cause it to turn on even when it is off.  There is NO workaround and Bose early in the summer did post elsewhere here that they agree it is a hardware and not firmware issue.

You are therefore left with two options:

1. You can fix the problem yourself by following instructions and pictures posted elsewhere in this forum

QC-35-I-is-Turning-On-By-Itself

2. You can call Bose as you have an ask for an exchange.  It should not make a difference if you are inside or outside of warrantee.  If you are asked to pay, refuse.  Call back and explain you are part of a larger group and this is not specific to your QC35ii.  If they still will not exchange for free, keep calling back.  Escalate to a supervisor if necessary.  Call the US if you are outside the US (Bose is HQ'd in Framingham, Mass.).  It is all about PERSISTENCE.  Those who keep calling until they get someone willing to do the free exchange will eventually prevail.  Many here have followed that path successfully.

Super Jinzo
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Oct 16, 2019

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Normally, in the U.S, if the headphones were outside warranty with this issue confirmed, what is the procedure ? They confirmed the issue but are still refusing to provide more than 15% reduction on new headphones. If you do offer an exchange in the U.S, why isn't it the same in France? I bought them from a U.S store too if that is even relevant.

Highlighted
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Super Jinzo 

Note: I am a customer like you, I do not work for Bose.

I have heard over the last year that the process of repeatedly calling and asking for a free exchange until you get a Bose support person to comply has been done in many countries - not just in the U.S. and many have said in the post I referred you to that they eventually succeeded in getting a free exchange.  Two countries were challenges in the shares - Germany and Australia.

You just need to commit to spending time repeatedly calling Bose until you achieve success.  Unless you want to 'live with the problem', you only other non-paying option is to follow the instructions in the post and fix it yourself.  The good news is that every person who has gone that path has said in the post that the problem was permanently fixed.

guho
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 21, 2019

Kudos to Bose: got $130 offer to replace affected QC-35 by QC-35 II from phone representative. Thanks to info on this long and very helpful forum thread, did not take this offer. Then, I walked into the local New York City World Trade Center Bose store and they replaced my out-of-warranty QC-35 by brand new QC-35 II headphones very quickly and courteously. I am posting this to ensure Bose gets proper credit for handling this super well in my case.

But now new problems on the horizon. I thought this thread was long at 79 pages but then there is a 120-page thread about the latest firmware 4.5.2 of the QC35-II reducing noise reduction. My replacement came with the previous firmware and I stopped the update in its tracks. Is it really true that 4.5.2 is bad firmware? I had no problems with the latest QC 35 I firmware.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@guho 

It's a crapshoot.  Upgrading to 4.5.2 impacts the ANC on some number/percentage but we really don't know how much.  I received my QC35ii's last October and upgraded twice including 4.5.2.  My ANC still seems to work the same as it did.

Point is, you have no reason to upgrade and if you have a problem and Bose says upgrade don't.  And to prevent the upgrade if you are using the Bose Connect app to change your settings, do it in 'airplane mode' only.

Sit tight - we know Bose is trying to identify the cause but is not very far along it seems from their communications.  I question whether an eventual solution will be this year.

gaunta123
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 23, 2019

Mine just got replaced out of warranty

I just got mine replaced for free. Well over a year out of warranty took about 3 or 4 phone calls. I said it wasn't a unique fault for mine that it was a class thing and they knew about the fault while it was still in warranty.

I also said the more I thought about it the more upset it was making me, and it wasn't reasonable to replace others out of warranty and not mine. They seemed to decide when I mentioned this last point and that I had been on this forum. 

was polite and persistent.