Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2018

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

Hi,

As I promised, quick update on the switch fix:

So I removed the old switch slider and spring, used 96% ethyl alcohol to clean the bottom part of the switch left on the PCB (filled it with alcohol, let soak for a few minutes, then used tiny cotton wool balls and a pair of pointy tweezers to clean the contacts, then dried it off using compressed air).

Then I took apart a new switch, put the internals into the old housing on the PCB. Then I put the cover of the new switch on, and noticed it is a bit loose, apparently it is not possible to remove the top cover without bending it slightly, and when putting back this way it won't be as snug as it needs to be. So I removed it again, straightened it using needle-nose pliers and put everything back together. I'm using it for a few days and it is working perfectly. Should it break again, I have some spare switches, so I can repeat this process any time.

So, as I thought, the bottom of the switch is the same, they only changed the top parts to make is more stiff. The above process is not much harder than bending back the prongs as recommended above, and gives perfect results, all you need is to buy a new switch (or maybe 10 if you are in the EU..) from Mouser in the $1-$2 price range + shipping.

Also, it seems there is no point in unsoldering the switch and replacing with a new one, only if you are more comfortable with this than taking the switch apart..

If you are only bending the prongs back without replacing the insides, still be careful with the cover, it needs to be straight. If is it bent even slightly, if will not hold the slider down and the problem will appear again.

regards,

Peter

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey everyone,

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread. We have read your comments and will be looking into the reported issue further. Please stay posted for further updates. In the meantime, we wanted to jump in to provide some information, especially for new members of the Bose Community who may be finding this thread for the first time.

We know the frustrations you may experience when a product doesn’t work as intended, and we want to hear from you directly. If your QuietComfort 35 headphones are experiencing the symptoms outlined within this thread, we encourage you contact Bose support in your region for assistance, if you have not already done so. Reaching out to us will enable us to gather additional information about your headset and provide you the best possible resolution.

Additionally, service options can vary greatly as circumstances vary greatly. Our colleagues will be happy to help you and explore the service options available to you on a case by case basis. In line with our Community Guidelines (here), we ask that actions taken outside of the community with our customer service team are not discussed as this is at the sole discretion of your region’s support. Additionally, please remember that encouraging others to actively harass or abuse Bose staff will result in action being taken against your community account.

We’d also like to take this moment to note that the QuietComfort 35 headset is not user-serviceable. As such, attempting to manually modify the product will void any warranty that the product may still be covered under.  Therefore, we highly recommend you contact us first, as there may be coverage under your warranty you may not be aware of. 

To contact us directly, click HERE. Select your region, and click “Contact us” at the bottom of the page.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Andy_BWith all due respect - I 'get' the decisions are at the sole discretion of the Bose regional support teams.  Bose is certainly within its rights to do so.  But from the 'customer' perspective the 'fair' thing is to provide consistency across all of your countries and even within the same countries.  From the customer perspective the fair thing to do is to treat all your customers the same regardless of where they come from.  If you offer a free exchange out of warranty to one customer, it is only fair to provide the same opportunity to all others who are determined to have faulty on/off switches.  If a customer asks for consistent behavior, they are not 'abusing' your customer support people.  Your on/off switch in some number of QC-35i units is faulty and not user or Bose servicable.  There is no workaround - self-fix DIY or exchange are the only two options.

I and others here 'get' that Bose has a regular policy with regards to units out of warranty.  But this is an unusual situation and Bose should treat all units from all customers regardless of their country of origin who have been verified to have a faulty on/off switch the same way.

Letting a newcomer to this forum know that they should not in our opinion/perspective accept the offer of exchange for price but ask for a free exchange should not be considered any sort of violation of the use of this forum.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 11, 2020

Look, Bose. As one point in history, you represented quality. When I bought the QC35, I paid 350 or whatever because these were rated #1 over every other headphone in the category. That's a huge deal in consumer electronics. If at the end of every review it said  

"...but, the switch will break in 2 years, eventually causing you the inability to shut your headphones off."

I don't think I would have bought these headphones. I mean it's a power switch, which is the like the last thing I thought that would have broken. I was always hesitant to buy Bose because of the price tag, and even more so now knowing their old flagship headphones are fantastic until they aren't. It's sad that so many people couldn't enjoy these to their fullest. 

Sure, I was able to get my headphones replaced, but that's was only because I was in a place that 

A) In a certain part of the country at the time
B) That had a store
C) where other users reported successful exchanges

I got lucky. Now that this virus has gone out of control, I'd be extremely upset if I couldn't get an exchange, warranty or not, especially if people in my region were able to get one. As a suggestion, maybe it would be better if Bose adopted a policy per region so that there could be consistency. 

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 19, 2020

Quiet Comfort 35 is always ON

HI, I have been having problems with my QC35 headphones for several months where they always turn back ON after I have turned them off via the switch.  I have let the battery drain fully, recharged them, paired them to my phone and ipad, used them for a while and then turned them off.  They will stay OFF for about 30-90 seconds and then they will automatically turn back ON.  Most times it will pair with one of my devices and when I want sound or the ability to talk into my phone I have to disable the bluetooth on the device. 

I have searched this forums for solutions, have tried several of the possible solutions provided by Support and nothing is helping.  Please help!  Thank you.

MB

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Quiet Comfort 35 is always ON

@mbuckoThis is a KNOWN problem and has been widely discussed in dozens of posts here.  I will bump the big one for you.  There is no known workaround and now things have gotten more complex.  Used to be two options - a DIY one to fix the on/off switch contacts (in the post I'll bump and elsewhere) and an option for an exchange with the Bose call centers.  But now that the call center has shut down, you no longer have an exchange option.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

bump.  hey guys - be aware the US call center has shut down so there is no longer an exchange option.  The only thing left is the DIY stuff mentioned in this post earlier.  There is no other known workaround.  Its about the on//off switch contacts which are slipping causing the unit to stay turned on.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 19, 2020

Is the call center just temporarily shut down due to COVID? I can tough it out until then if necessary...

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 20, 2020

QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

my bose quietcomfort 35 ii have a problem.

when I use them for a long time (like 5 hours) after I try to turn them off they do not turn off and only the power light remains on, when this happens nothing of the headphones works and the only way to unlock them is to attach them to a cable charging

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@pandoroyes - you have the same problem as everyone else - your on/off switch contacts are slipping.  No known solution - not fixable by firmware

@JJ99Assume the shutdown is virus related

As there is no effective way to exchange (at least in the US), the DIY solution is the only way currently to fix it.