joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

Jerry,

I don't work for Bose but when I called them last week, they told me they go through a rigorous troubleshotting regimen.  Then if nothing works if you state that your symptoms are the same as the class of other QC35i's with the exact same problem, they told me they would offer the QC35i owners a free upgrade to a QC35ii (even out of warantee).  So you may want to try again if they still say pay, then ask to get escalated to a Bose employee support supervisor in Boston (where Bose is).  If none of that works, start a new thread here (not reply to this one) with your experiences.  No guarantees but I heard the reps tell me that twice in the last month.

Though keep in mind if you upgrade to a QC35ii - it also may have an 'issue' involving Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) which some say here was impacted by a recent firmware change.

Hello Briankocher,

Thanks for posting. I am glad to hear your headphones having been behaving properly recently. Interesting results with your BLE scans. I am definitely curious to see if your efforts are repeatable for others. If your headphones do continue to turn on by themselves as others have indicated here, please contact Customer Support as they may have service options available for you.

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

brighteyestish
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 24, 2018

We are having the same problem. Then the battery is dead. The store in Portland Oregon said there was nothing they could do. And they were under warranty. 😖
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Check out the last few of the screens in this post/thread for information about possible causes and what you can do.  You can keep it charged while waiting for something more formal hopefully early next year - that is the only current workaround .  The cause is either a faulty on/off switch or a bluetooth low emission (BLE) firmware issue or both. OR you can call the Bose phone people, do their troubleshooting and then state your case that you are part of the group with the turning on symptoms and have them offer you a free exchange for a QC35ii.  If they don't offer anything but a discount, escalate to a supervisor in the US.  No reason to accept anything less.  (I don't work for Bose).

keep in mind as stated above in previous responses, there are those here who are unhappy with the active noise cancellation (anc) of the QC35ii.  Apparantly they feel it was degraded in a previous firmware release.  So by giving up one 'issue' you may or may not become involved in another.
abcbose23
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 24, 2018

I firmly believe that the problem to this mess is not BLE as joelirwin keeps pushing here.  Don't bother to deny this, as it's only you suggesting this.  Bose support is pushing out this gibberish to deny that it's a hardware problem.  That's complete trash.

I never updated the firmware to my 2 year old qc-35 headphones and this problem popped up for me.  I finally relented and updated the firmware after calling up the support line and the problem still persisted.

I finally opened up the right headphone side and did Kiva-Kingas' fix and, voila, no problem for a few days now. [if you plan to do this, make sure you do so in an enclosed place in case your spring flies out like it did for me; it took me a good ten minutes to find it on my floor]

So to all the mods/support agents (Greg, Tony G, Moshin, Adam) deflecting the issue and anyone else telling you that it's BLE or firmware, they are all pulling your leg.  It's faulty hardware that Bose will not own up to...yet.

SHAME on them if they don't.

Briankocher
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 16, 2018

I have come to the same conclusion as abc.  Since I took the headphones apart and adjusted the prongs on the switch, I have had no problems for close to a week.  Add this data point to your calculus.  I have ruled out BLE issues in my mind.  Bose has selected a poor switch design.  My confidence in bose headphones is extremely low.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

As they say on the news, I firmly believe that we should follow the facts and let them lead us to whatever the conclusion should be.  I do NOT believe the problem is BLE for the QC35i.  We do not yet know conclusively what the cause is since Bose is still testing.  I ask the support people every two weeks or so and they have not yet heard back from engineering.

It may be BLE or it could be a faulty on/off switch as some of you here have stated.  In fact, when I share with others here (for example, a few replies up in this post), I pretty much state it could be either (or both).  I volunteered/shipped back my QC35i about a month or so back upon request by support for their testing so while I am still interested in understanding the cause, I no longer have a QC35i to test with. They replaced it with a QC35ii which has never turned itslef on.  I did notice two things with the QC35ii - first I immediately noticed a completely different feel for the on/off switch of the QC35ii.  It was much sturdier and needed imho more pressure to move it between off and on. Perhaps Bose learnt something about the on/off switch of the QC35i when they designed the on/off switch for the QC35ii.  I also noticed it did not put out a BLE signal unless it was on.  I never got a chance to test the QC 35i but one person here did say it put out a signal even when off.  I can not confirm that nor do I know if that is significant to whether BLE has anything to do with the ON situation.

I do have two other devices that turn themselves on.  Both my Revolves turns on any time a paired Windows computer turns on.  We are pretty sure that is a BLE implementation and is 'by design' and not a problem/bug.  My Soundsport wired is an interesting other situation.  It seems to turn on (so far) a lot less than the QC35i but I have only seen it turn on (by seeing the headphone symbol at the top of my phone) when it is near my phone.  Interestingly it does not put out a BLE signal when it is off.  I have not seen anyone else in the community discuss it as well.  So based on the work here, I  can see it being either a BLE implementation or a hardware issue with its on/off switch.

molnarp
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2018

Hi All,

"one person here did say it put out a signal even when off"

Yes that was me. Could anyone else confirm this, who has an affected pair of QC35I ? So the situation is, with the power switch OFF and the green LED also not lit, the QC35I still emits a BLE signal (checked using the BLE scanner app).

Also, in this state, (both switch and LED off) the QC35 turns on if I press any of the buttons (vol up, down, or the phone button). Anyone elso also could confirm this?

And one more thing, anyone having a fixed QC35I (switch prongs are bent as described above), could also check the 2 symptoms above? Does it sill emit a BLE signal? Does it power on by the press of any button?

These tests should help us narrow down the problem.

Thanks,

Peter

abcbose23
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 24, 2018

First you say that you don't believe that BLE is the problem for the headphones and then you go on ranting about the opposite for 2/3rds of your response.

You're getting delusional and you should just stop your crazy ranting.  This BLE is an excuse they planted in your heads and all you folks buying into this are only wasting your time in their concocted wild goose chase.  It's a distraction from the real issue they will not own up to. 

It is the switch mechanism.  FULL STOP.

abcbose23
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 24, 2018

to indulge you molnarp and whoever else is nuts about this:

My "temporary"-prong-fixed- headphones does not emit a signal from the BLE app and does not power on until I slide the switch.  Hitting the side buttons do nothing to it.