Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

@Liam_G  The Bose people here back in December asked a number of people/volunteers to turn in their QC35i's for QC35ii's so that the engineers could test to determine the cause.  The users here who have done their own testing a pretty/reasonable sure that the cause is shifted contacts in the on/off switch.  We are now three months down the line and still no word from Bose as to a definitive cause.  As recently as last month, I heard from a telephone conversation with Bose support that there is still a 'camp' that believes the problem can simply be solved with a firmware upgrade.

Personally, I find that hard to believe given the experiences of the customers here who have themselves fixed the problem by opening up the QC35.  So far, all the subsequent feedback is that the problem has been solved after opening up the unit.

Whether that is believed by Bose or not, some three months later we should by now be at the point where the engineers should have a reasonable idea as to the cause.  So perhaps Bose can soon share that with the people here?

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 2, 2019

Liam, I am sorry to say what you wrote is crap. Many of us were given exactly the same answer by your local peolethat they have never heard of this being a problem. Misleading costumers is the worth kind of action. If you know about this issue for a long time, try not to direct people to those who will not help! Thta is your customer service. Imre

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 3, 2017

I just test another "Firmware Update Tools" then the one came with the Android App from here : (Windows Version)

https://btu.bose.com

For some weird reason... or simply luck/bad luck... it took more time for the headphone to power up by magic !

Sometime it's instand, sometime after less than a minute... now, i'm watching them for an hour, and they didn't power up !

It update more quickly by Bose, but doesn't fix the issue at all. Note that the Android application didn't propose me a new Firmware update, that this tools proposed. So i was hopping it fixed the issue, but it doesnt.

So i'm not 100 % sure it's realy Firmware/harware issue... usualy, if it's a hardware issue, can't be fix by a firware... and usually, the issue would be constant ! Like always power on after the same waiting period (a metal part bend the same way with or without a firmware update, and apply the same force on the component with or witout firmware).

So before the firmware, power-on automaticaly after less than a minute... after update, Power-on after more time... that's improvement, because i safe a little battery life.. lol

I was going with the Hardware appoach describe in this Thread (provide me by a user that seem to took the time to read all page, something i didn't do it), but these recent finding made me question it... 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 14, 2019

Too bad support will only sell you a new QC35 2 pair for $200. I spent $300 on the forst paor and lasted two years, no way am I spending another $200 for a pair that will last two years. Buy a cheap pair for $50 and thay last longer and since I listen mainly to pod casts, dont need the supposed supior quality of bose. Rip off product, will never buy bose and hope no one else ever does.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

@Liam_G 

Unfortunately, you just have empty words for us.

This is the reply I just got from my German support:

"In order to solve your problem satisfactorily, we still need your serial number from your BOSE device. We offer an exchange for the QC 35 II, if you still have warranty, it will be free of charge, if not, the exchange costs 285 Euro."

And obviously, I'm out of warranty.

Another funny thing is that new QC 35 II is 249 on Amazon!

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 14, 2019

It is very frustrating. They act like they are doing us a fovor by giving us a discount, they should fix this known issue or replace free. Can you imagine if a car company did this? If you don’t fix a defect in your car it wont stop running, oh, you have to pay $20,000, which is $5,000 less than a new one, see how nice we are.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 3, 2017

For now, i applied a little "hack". The Firmware upgrade simply push to 1 hrs or more the delay before those headphone turn on by itself...

So i used the Bose App, and set a Sleep after 5 min of inactivity. Once i finish using my headphone, i close the bluetooth on my phone (something i already do), and then they shutdown and never re-start !

Until i can see another Firmware that may fix the issue. I still beleive it's software instead of hardware... a Firmware upgrade does nothing to improve the ability of a metal part to bend less or more... and some user suggest it's the bug on these headphone, fixed once you replace this part, but maybe it's true for some user, but i was starting to have doubt once i apply the firmware update and notice that the headphone restart "instant" (instead of after 10 sec) or approx 1 hrs later (instead of after 1 min)... to the Firmware seem to have increase (and decrease) the delay between those 2 moments...

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@lugufeNot true.  The support person is not appropriately informed.  The free exchange is for both in and out of warantee.  Everyone that 'persists' will get a free exchange (including myself last year).  You need to keep calling back and if necessary escalate to a supervisor and even then you may want to try multiple supervisors.  If necessary, call the US support people in Framingham, Mass (Bose HQ).  If you can't get passed on, go ahead an google the main Bose number in Framingham and go from there.

It's unfortunate that we need to spend so much time get a replacement for a contact issue in the on/off switch that plagues so many QC35s.  But unfortunately, the only other solution is to follow the instructions with pictures posted in this post and fix it ourselves.  Those who have done so report the problem has been totally solved.  We know what the problem is - Bose has gone at least since Dec (probably earlier) and we still do not know what their official position and explanation is.

There is no other option other than DIY fix or exchange - no workaround.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 14, 2019

Thanks for the info. I tried twice, escalated the second time and got the same answer. Guess I will try the main contact you suggested. Either way, still not happy.
Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

I have heard that no one in Austrailia is properly informed and mentioned that in my own call to them a few weeks ago.  Perhaps the same issue in Germany?  You may need to try MANY times - don't give up.  You are 5 hours ahead of Framingham, btw.