MTqc35
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 22, 2019

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

Hello,

So I found that my extremely lightly used 2 year old QC 35 headphones have the same problem as below and contacted customer support as recommended.  The customer service agent first quoted me $369CA to ship me a new set of QC 35 II headphones as a replacement.  This is only $30 less than the regular retail.  She told me that the 1 year warranty had expired on my headphones.  I told her that I bought the headphones from bose because I assumed they were top of the line and that if there is a known design flaw in the hardware a top of the line company like bose ought to stand behind their product for longer than one year.  Again, these headphones have never left my house and have only ever been stored in their protective case.  After a long while on hold, the agent came back on and offered me the new headphones at $169CA.  I reiterated my complaints and asked to speak to a manager.  I was put on hold again.  The manager came on and after some conversation she told me she could offer me the new headphones for $100 plus tax but that this offer may make her lose her job.  I then relented and went ahead with the discounted purchase.  During the order process I found out that they would like the malfunctioning headphones back.  At first I thought this would be so that they could confirm I had a genuine pair of headphones, but then I remembered seeing refurbished headphones advertised online.  How much are the headphones?  $249!  Including my $100 I'm sure they've recouped all of their expenses (this is direct from the manufacturer, not retail).

Moral of the story: hold out for the cheapest price they offer you on a replacement.  If bose is the high end company they tout themselves to be, they would be replacing these flawed units at their own cost with no questions asked.

johnb84
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

Hi all, have been reading this thread with interest. I bought a pair of QC35s in late 2016. I only use them for long haul flights - a couple of times a year tops. They are in excellent condition and stored in the box when not in use. Unfortunately my QC35s have developed the dreaded power button issue. Headphones have been turning on randomly and draining the battery. Volume and play/pause buttons also now turn the device on. Have also noticed that the headphones now only power on when the power button is pushed fully to the right (to the 'switch Bluetooth device' function). I bought the headphones in the UK but have since moved to Australia and I cannot find the receipt. Can I take the issue up with Bose Australia even if the device wasn't purchased there? It would be good to know where I stand before I pick up the phone and potentially get fobbed off. I have updated the firmware, deleted and reconnected all Bluetooth devices which has made no difference. The button itself seems to be sliding between positions as normal. Otherwise they are an excellent pair of headphones!

jgailey11
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

I just updated my 35I to firmware 3.0.3 and the problem seems to have been fixed..will repost if not.

Gr1pen
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 18, 2019

I experienced the problem when I was on firmware 3.0.3 so I guess your issue was different. My issue was the physical switch as identified earlier in this thread. 

jgailey11
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

oh.. I am sceptical .. this is my third BOSE headphone.. the other 2 have squeeling ear pieces that Bose refused to replace unless I paid extra... well I am not going to pay extra for their poorly engineered electronics... so with that being said.. this is my last go with Bose.. either the firmware works or I throw them in the trash where they belong.

ndaven021
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 10, 2019

I am having the exact same issue...  It has to be a software issue.  I hope Bose can figure a fix out quickly.

daved31415
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 12, 2018

After approximately two years of light use my Bose QC35 headphones have developed this issue.

I had used the headphones earlier in the day and had them stored in the Bose case when, after hours of sitting on a shelf, the headphones turned on and connected to my cellphone, causing a pair of bluetooth earbuds to disconnect while I was talking on the phone. After reconnecting the earbuds several times I realized the phone was connecting to the headphones, which I was almost certain had been turned off. The power switch was in the off position but the power LED was illuminated.  I slide the switch from off to on and back to off.  The headphones turned off for several seconds and then turned back on, reconnecting to my phone.  After this process repeated several times I ended my phone call and found that I could not turn the QC35 headphones off.

My next step was to set the QC35 timeout to 5 minutes, hoping that after a timeout the headphones would turn off and stay off.  This did not work.  About a minute after automatically powering off, the headphones powered back on and reconnected with my phone. I selected the headphones update option from the Android app and have been waiting several minutes for the headphones to update (I started the process before starting this post).  Currently there is a circle next to "Preparing product update..." which is just past 26% filled in.  Hopefully the firmware update makes a difference.  I'd really hate to see the headphones start discharging on their own, especially when the battery is not accessible to be removed / replaced.

After reading through the posts in this forum, I'm not even going to bother calling Bose technical support.  If the headphones continue to malfunction, I will keep them to use only immediately after charging and will buy something else as my primary headphones. I went with Bose because I presumed their products would be of optimal quality and also presumed that in cases where there was a problem that the company would make things right. It does not sound like they are in the habit of doing that.

Barkley
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 8, 2018

Hi there,

the problem is, bose never admitted this problem and wanted to be responsible.

I already changed to Sony even I was great fan of Bose.

Bose will lose much more than intended to save.

Gr1pen
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 18, 2019

@ndaven021 wrote:

I am having the exact same issue...  It has to be a software issue.  I hope Bose can figure a fix out quickly.

As you can see in earlier posts in this thread there is a solution, a pretty easy fix.

The problem is, again, the physical switch not making contact inside. You will have to remove the cover and clean and bend the contact surfaces of the switch. Go to the post marked as solved and you will find pictures of how to do that.

Matt G
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 11, 2019

Hey GR1Pen,

Thanks for the posts.

However, I cannot find the post "as solved"  - I keep using the little "go to solution" arrow at the top of the page, but that only sends me to some weak moderator post about contacting cust. svc. (which I did; not gonna buy another pair).

Can you find / repost the solution / pics?  That would be awesome.

Thnx!

Matt