dcb0ys09
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 22, 2019

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

@Matt G wrote:

Hey GR1Pen,

Thanks for the posts.

However, I cannot find the post "as solved"  - I keep using the little "go to solution" arrow at the top of the page, but that only sends me to some weak moderator post about contacting cust. svc. (which I did; not gonna buy another pair).

Can you find / repost the solution / pics?  That would be awesome.

Thnx!

Matt

I am not GR1Pen, but I also was able to fix this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3qHSaWi4X8

Follow that video.

I also posted about fixing these in here if you want to read.

Video explains it all in easy steps. be careful of the tiny spring that is part of the button when you take the metal cover off the slider switch.

I did this entire thing, and my headphones continued turning on even after , the trick for me was to clean the slider terminals with rubbing alcohol once I removed and bent the 4 pins back into place.

Now my headphones stay off, its been a few weeks and even pressing the volume on and off buttons etc dont turn them on like it used to. So follow video AND if it doesn't fix it try the alcohol like I had to. Just make sure you let your battery die before applying wet liquid to the area. I used a cotton swab and just let a drop or so fall in there and let it air dry.

I went through every video, called tech support, and honestly it was an extremely easy fix. it is not software related but the power button and the prongs under it being bent , and making sure the terminal is clean. Took 10 minutes to fix once battery was dead.

안녕하세요 JABEJANG 입니다. 1년 반 정도 사용하던 BOSE QC35에서 자동전원켜짐 현상이 발생했습니다. 사용 후 1년 내외로 발생한다는 문제점이라던데... 보증 기간도 지났고, AS도 안된다고 하여 고민하던 와중에, 인터넷에서 수리방법을 찾아 직접 수리해 보았습니다. 수리방법 출처 https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC-35-I-is-Turning-On-By-Itself/m-p/173964/highlight/true#M32130 QC35는 수리 후 ...
Matt G
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Sep 11, 2019

Hey dcb!

Follow that video.

Thanks - a BUNCH - for posting that video.  Looks pretty straight-forward.

I'll give it a whirl and see what I can do.

Thanks again,

Matt

tealeaf
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 13, 2019

I just registered to reply that this video sorted the problem for me!

I'd looked around months ago, and had become convinced it was a firmware problem. I've just followed this video step by step, and it's worked flawlessly. This is what you're looking for if you find this thread!

@Matt G wrote:

Hey dcb!

Follow that video.

안녕하세요 JABEJANG 입니다. 1년 반 정도 사용하던 BOSE QC35에서 자동전원켜짐 현상이 발생했습니다. 사용 후 1년 내외로 발생한다는 문제점이라던데... 보증 기간도 지났고, AS도 안된다고 하여 고민하던 와중에, 인터넷에서 수리방법을 찾아 직접 수리해 보았습니다. 수리방법 출처 https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC-35-I-is-Turning-On-By-Itself/m-p/173964/highlight/true#M32130 QC35는 수리 후 ...
Matt G
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Sep 11, 2019

Hey TeaLeaf!

Thanks for signing up / providing feedback.

I will undertake this little project - just have't gotten there, yet.

I also was convinced it was a firmware issue.  In fact, if you find the "stand-by" solution, there is a functional operation that does, actually, perform.  I think it was posted by MacNasty in another thread.

(There's a whole lot of weirdness about that thread and one of the moderators [and Bose, in genera] - but, that's another story for another time...)

I followed those "firmware" instructions and they actually do work.  However, the "comes back on" issue remains.

So...

Again, I really appreciate you providing this feedback - I'm going to do it.

BTW, the video really cracks me up with the guy chasing that little spring all around.  I'll bet I have to chase it around a whole lot longer than he does!  YIKES!

Thanks again,

Matt

@tealeaf wrote:

I just registered to reply that this video sorted the problem for me!

I'd looked around months ago, and had become convinced it was a firmware problem. I've just followed this video step by step, and it's worked flawlessly. This is what you're looking for if you find this thread!

@Matt G wrote:

Hey dcb!

Follow that video.

kenmac
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Sep 18, 2019

Re: Headphones power on automatically

This was the solution for me and took me 10 minutes.   The problem has not returned. 

https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC-35-I-is-Turning-On-By-Itself/m-p/173964/hi...

Conclusion, don't store the headphones in the case.  Don't put extra items in the case. 

The problem is described here: https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC-35-I-is-Turning-On-By-Itself/m-p/174465/hi...

Matt G
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Sep 11, 2019

Re: Headphones power on automatically

Hey KenMac,

Thank you, too, for the feedback!

I'll give it a try - I'll post back to share results.

You guys (all) are great - thank you!

Matt

themovieguy_vince
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 12, 2019

After the recent firmware update on android (using Android Pie), I can confirm that the issue has been solved. It is no longer turning on by itself, even with the standby timer on the Bose app set to "Never". 

Cheers.🍺

Matt G
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Sep 11, 2019

HEY TMG_Vince,

Thanks (a bunch!) for that feedback.

Man - there is just a LOT of confusion here.

At my house, my wife and I have Mac's, iPhones, iPads, and QC35's - "hers" is experiencing this "turn-on" phenomenon; "mine" is not.  Same software / firmware.

If you've seen the video / pic's describing the "connection / switch" bending operation, the prevention is listed as not carrying in the case.  She rarely has hers in the case; mine stays there - with cables.  That's just the opposite of what is logical...

Craziness.

Maybe they'll come out with an updated firmware for iPhones...

Thanks again!

Matt

apreslin
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 19, 2018

I agree that the cables in the case theory is overstated by some. It might have a contributing factor, but it might not be as much as some think. I also had the problem and I didn't use the case much, it was mostly on my headphone stand. Every time you use the switch, you are most likely putting some downward force on that springy prong which after normal use gradually unbends it. It also might just happen after time, and Bose really didn't have a way of knowing that when they designed it, so the defect surfaced a year or two after they released the product.

Bummer that Bose can't seem to own up to the defect and come up with a standard recall process that would fix the issues on affected headphones, even those after warranty which is the case for probably almost everyone at this point that owns the QC 35-1 model. Their standard "contact support to resolve the issue" is a box of chocolates and usually results in them telling you that you have to pay for new headphones at a minimally discounted cost unless you are assertive, persistent, and escalate until you find someone from their support team who agrees to replace them free of charge.

gutielc
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 20, 2019

I registered for an account just to let you guys know that actually opening up the headphones and pushing up the prongs did work. My QC35-I no longer powers up by itself and pushing the side buttons does not turn on the headphones either. However, like I have read here, I did lose the spring. The headphones still function fine without it, but does anyone know the measurements of the spring or if it is possible to buy a replacement spring somewhere? Thanks.