Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 30, 2019

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

Hi All,

I bought my Gen1 headset from 2016.  Will Bose still replace (defective replacement 5129) my headset based on what I've read here?  I've been following this forum months ago however, I gave up since there was really no solution or fix for it.  

Please advise.  

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 20, 2019

I bought mine in 2016 also and called to ask with a supervisor after regular staff told me no- supervisor said yes right away and I got my headset a week later which was a few days ago, worth it!

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 2, 2019

How come the problem starts showing after a few years of usage? Can we get more technical details of the exact hardware issue that is causing these problems?

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 8, 2019

There have already been several tear-down posts on this forum about the topic. It looks like the root cause is due to the power selector switch being pushed in while it is in the case.

So if you pack a bag with your headphones in it and set a lot of stuff next to or on top of the headset in the case then you are applying pressure to the on/off/pairing button. This causes the pins of the selector switch to essentially short the on terminal. It is an unintended design flaw.

This is why future Bose Headsets do not have the selector switch in an exposed position. They moved the switch to the side of the ear cup or made the buttons touch-capacitive.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 6, 2019

Re: Headphones power on automatically

Having the same problem.  Very fustrating for an otherwise nice product.  

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 6, 2019

Orginal purchase price was @$349.  They want @$209 to replace your device after sending it back in.  Now, essentially out of $570.  Does that sound like a good deal on a product that should last for a lot longer than 2 years.  

Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Nov 17, 2019

Here is my update. I tried a few solutions I could find in this 80+ pages thread:

1. Mouth to mouth resuscitation - failed

2. Soft reset the power on power off - failed

3. Took the power side unit apart and bent the 4 prongs up - success !

It has been more than a month now without it turning on by itself.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2019

I have a pair of QC 35 I headphones which I only use when I travel infrequently and very occasionally when I need to watch TV. This means they are in pristine condition and haven't been used much.

A few days ago my Apple TV started to automatically connect to the headphones as a result of them turning on by themselves. I read about the switch problem and outwardly the phones look perfect. Lo and behold here I am at the airport and the headphones are fully discharged and useless.

This is unacceptable quality control. Yes they are out of warranty but they haven't been used much. I expect quality for the price and this really makes me think Bose is not up to par. What would possess me to ever buy another Bose product? Come on Bose, fess up to the fact that you screwed up the design and don't let your customers carry the can on this one.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 17, 2019

Just wanted to chime in here as well (US).

I purchased my QC35i's back during Fall 2016. I've been dealing with the same issues since this time last year, and finally decided to give Bose a call. I was able to get them to send me a pair of 35ii's with very little fuss to the rep (just declined the $200 offer, mentioned this is a premium product and referenced the numerous forum threads about this issue).

Just wanted to offer some additional encouragement to those in the US whose headphones might be well out of warranty; spend a little time calling Bose support before taking the headphones apart. I may have gotten lucky with a good rep, but it was a pretty painless call (though you may spend 15-20 minutes on the phone).

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 20, 2019

You definitely got lucky- that’s why I had to call three times.. I kept refusing their offers, they’d put me on hold and drop the price 10$.. then said they can’t go any lower or do any other offers even after I made a big fuss about premium product, known issue, etc etc 

To others reading , ask for a supervisor if the rep won’t give a replacement