Highlighted
ACorns
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jan 17, 2020

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

I received the Bose QuietComfort 35 (generation 1) for my 30th birthday and fell in love with it! It has never been dropped, exposed to water, always stored properly in the hardshell case, and only charged using the USB to computer wire. It’s a very sentimental headset as it helps me focus at work, calm some of my stress, and even helped me sleep a time or two.

Unfortunately, all good experiences must end as I'm encountering the exact same defects this thread addresses: headset randomly turns on, pressing the volume button turns on the headset, and unplugging from the charging port auto-turns on the headset. 

Luckily, I have a Bose Store I could drive to within reason. Thus, today I went into the Bose store, showed the headset to the employees, explained the issue, replicated the issue live, and even mentioning the defect code and showing the thread. However, the store employees could not do anything for me except called customer support on my behalf.

Unfortunately, the only solution Bose Customer Support provided the store employee is for me to exchange my current Bose QuietComfort 35 (generation 1) and upgrade to a Bose QuietComfort 35 (generation 2) that will include 1 year warranty for roughly $160. The employee worked hard to negotiate that price down from $200 and the price was required to be documented by the Bose Customer Support team in case I called back and agreed. I do not fault the store employees as they are abiding by the corporate policies.

However, I left sad and disappointed that I would have to pay for a manufacturer defect even though my headset was in pristine condition.

This experience opened my eyes to be aware when receiving or purchasing high value monetary gifts, to read the manufacturer warranty beforehand.

Where I once touted the QuietComfort 35 Wireless headphones for their world-class standards of sound, I will now tout a word of caution to all purchasers as they fall short of a world-class longevity with a possibility for defects.

Highlighted
g0002
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 18, 2018

This issue started for me about 4 days ago. Charged the headphones, then found them dead, which I thought was weird as I have had these since 2017 and that has never happened even on the couple times I left them on. I charged them again and then noticed them coming on by themselves. I did a search and found this forum and was totally surprised to see this being an issue. My wife and I happened to be coming to NYC so we were able to pop into the Bose store on Broadway yesterday and I was in and out In about 5 minutes with a brand new off the shelf pair of the version 2s. My local store closed a couple of months ago. I had to show my receipt, which was easy since I bought them on Amazon, she looked up the serial number,  and then she said that there was a warranty extension on those then swapped them out. Done. It helped that I was able to show her that the headphones were off but still turned on though with serial number a part of the warranty extension it probably would not have mattered. It would have been nice if Bose would have told us there was an issue but I am super happy that they took care of the issue and do love their headphones! Thanks Bose!!! Excited for Airplay 2 to come out for SoundTouch! 

Highlighted
davegxp
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 20, 2020

I just tried my first call on my QC35 Series 1 headphones and they offered initially for $209 but when I pressed they said they would do $104 and I would have to ship my headphones back first, then 7-10 days later I would receive a pair of QC35 series 2.  I told them I would think about it but didn't know if I should press more.  I bought these in October 2016.

Highlighted
wboogie
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 28, 2020

SUCCESS STORY IN CANADA

Hello All,

My QC's ran into this issue about 6 months ago, and upon doing research into this I came across this forum. Last week finally decided to call and start this process. I made an account just to share my experience in hopes that others may find the same success with Bose that I did. Thank you to everyone in these 86 pages who have shared their experiences which ultimately helped me get a new pair of headphones.

This is a loose transcript of my conversation with a Bose Support Rep over the phone:

Me: "Hello, I've got a pair of first gen QC 35's that I bought over a year ago and are currently out of warranty. The headphones, once shut off, will always turn back on draining the battery. After doing research online, I've tried all the troubleshooting steps to try and remedy the problem but nothing helped. I came across a Bose Community forum with about 80 pages of people with the same problem, and it seems that the issue is a manufacture defect where the 4 pins of the power button become flattened and lose contact, rendering the button useless. (You can use your own description of the problem, it will likely be enough). You must have heard about this issue before considering so many people seem to have it."

Bose: "Sorry to hear about that, you said you've tried all the trouble shooting steps like updating etc"?

Me: "Yes"

Bose: "Unfortunately the serial number (gave this to the rep earlier in the conversation) you provided me is no longer under warranty, so what we can do is offer you a new pair of headphones for $279.99 + tax (CAD), and we will pay for the shipping costs".

Me: "I'm aware the serial number is not under warranty any longer, but I'm not paying another $300 for a pair of headphones that I paid $500 for originally, especially considering this is an obvious design flaw with the product. I know this isn't your fault and has nothing to do with you, but the only thing I'm willing to accept it a brand new pair of headphones, and I can send the old ones with case and accessories back. I can speak to a manager or whoever, but I'm not going to settle for anything less than a new pair.

Bose: "Yes wboogie, I understand. Let me put you on hold and speak with my manager to see if we can do something more for you"

Me: "Perfect, thank you very much"

** 5 minutes passes**

Bose: "Hello, I'm happy to say that we will be sending out a new pair of QC 35 II's to you free of charge. We will be sending you a packing slip and a tracking number shortly, so just print that out that packing slip and ship your old headphones to us with UPS. Once we receive your headphones we will send out the new pair"

Me: "Thank you so much! I really truly appreciate your help and understanding in the matter. Have a wonderful day"

Got my headphones yesterday after calling probably a week and a half ago. Its that easy, in Canada at least. Don't give the rep any attitude, even if they offer you a **bleep**ty deal. They just work there and have nothing to do with the manufacturing process, or the issue lol. Just be friendly, calm, and cut to the chase and say something along the lines of "I know this has nothing to do with you, but I'm not going to accept anything less than a brand new pair, I'll speak to whoever I need to", and refer to this exact thread, offering to provide a link to it if they need. I'm sure they all know about the issue with the headphones, and I'm sure they know about this exact thread too.

I know some people might be nervous to "argue" with someone over the phone, or demand something like a new pair, but it really is so easy. For those of you who are like this, just realize that the reps are generally very friendly and will do what they can to help you. If you have to call more than once, keep calling.

No better feeling than listening to my freshly opened headphones while typing this success story. All it took was a call. GOOD LUCK ALL!

Highlighted
lukesnorgrass
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 28, 2020

Re: Bose QC35 Will Not Turn Off

I am having a similar problem with my Bose QC35 headphones I have had them since my Birthday in October and they have been doing fine and then all of the sudden they wont turn off. What should I do?

Highlighted
clemb
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 29, 2020

I'm happy to hear that customers are getting help and replace even with models bought in 2017, but this is when the customer service is in the same country as the one the customer lives in.

I boughy my QC35 in 2017 in Canada, and I now live in the UK. When I visited my local Bose store a few weeks ago, the sales assistant told me to just buy new headphones as it's cheaper than repairing them. They wouldn't repair for free as my product is out of warranty and wasn't bought in the UK. What gives?

Highlighted
Elektriker
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 31, 2020

That's great to hear, well done!  I too have jumped into that rabbit hole and opened an "Interaction" file with customer support.  Although I've been dealing with this issue for over a year, I never fully searched out fellow sufferers until recently (and other fellow Canucks no less...).  I've included the link to this thread as part of my correspondence so we'll see if that proves to assist or not.  I plan on posting my own experience once I have a resolution but I just wanted to say again that it's fantastic that you were able to have your situation looked after so effectively.  Enjoy your new QCII's!!

Highlighted
Andrew McCann
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 1, 2020

My Bose Quietcomfort 35 headphones recently started turning themselves on. I have fixed the problem by doing the following three things.

1. Taking the switch apart, bending the contacts and reassembling. As the links below say, some of this operation is pretty tricky!

Links:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC-35-I-is-Turning-On-By-Itself/m-p/168080/hi...     (Message 318)

https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC-35-I-is-Turning-On-By-Itself/td-p/106140/p...     (Message 385)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO8JyV06wP4      (Remove and replace earpads)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LjH57o_hLA      (Useful for disassembly, I did not clean the switch)

2. Update the firmware

Link:

https://btu.bose.com/#section=start 

3. Reset headphones

Link:

https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/product-reset.html 

Hope this is of some use. If you decide to dismantle the switch be warned: small delicate parts!

Andrew

Make sure the headphones are completely off, meaning the battery is drained before attempting this video. If this method does not work for you, then try this...
✅How To Install Bose qc35 replacement ear pads ✅🚨Get Replacements From Amazon Here : https://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Cushions-Premium-Bose-Replacement/dp/B07N1...
Highlighted
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@lukesnorgrassThis problem as you can see is now going into its third year.  About a year ago, Bose admitted it to be a hardware function and not a firmware issue.  This is imho as far as they are willing to say and go.  There IS NO workaround.  Way back at the beginning of this issue about 12 to 18 months ago, those who tested here determine there was an 'issue' with the contacts of the on/off switch and since they are slipping your situation of it turning itself on even when the switch is off will happen.

You are left with two options (other than just living with the problem and constantly charging the headphone) -

1. There are instructions way back towards the beginning of this post (with pictures) (and probably also findable via google such as in reddit) that provides instructions how to open it up and fix it yourself.  Everyone who has done it and checked in here has rechecked in with success.

2. You can call Bose and ask for a replacement/exchange.  They are instructed to tell you that there will be a cost when out of warrantee.  You need to press them on it and explain its a manufacturing defect.  If they are willing to provide it for FREE, call back - sometimes repeatedly.  And if necessary, you may have to get 'stern' and escalate to a supervisor.  Just be persistent and keep at it until someone finally agrees to do a FREE exchange (again - even if your unit is more than a year old).

Highlighted
anzacjack
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 3, 2020

on the phone now and will report back how i go

5mins on the phone. No issue or hassle. Replacement pair being sent out. So refreshing to deal with a company that stands by their product