Vojo
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 19, 2019

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

Thanks, I’ll try that - asking for a Boston Supervisor. I’ve rung the office here in Australia several times now, getting increasingly frustrated, but as you say perhaps the word is not in from the Head Office in the US. 

Wish me luck.

PaulBellis
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 4, 2019

Did an experiment today. Disabled the blue tooth on all devices and Bose 35 was fine didn’t switch on. Enable Bluetooth again and lo and behold it turns on. Tried that a few times. If it was faulty switch it would turn on all the time? Although to be fair they did turn on when I touched the volume button. I’m loath to rip apart the headphones to mess with the switch. 

I will get in touch with consumer review sites I think and just give feedback everywhere on the issue,  warning people who can then make their own mind up. 

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Your data definately suggests that it could be firmware.  You may want to get a free app to see if your QC35 is emitting a BLE signal.  I use "BLE Scanner" on my iphone (free).  It sounds to me like your QC35 is putting out a BLE signal.  It would be real 'interesting' if it did not.  If its a BLE issue, then it would require some change to the QC35i firmware.  Bose, PM'd me a week or so back that it was a hardware issue (they did not say more specifically) and not a firmware issue.  However, that would not explain your results if they are long term.  Who knows, it could be both.  We won't know for sure until they say something more formal (if they ever 🙂 )

ben31084
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 6, 2019

Hi everyone, my QC35s started doing this yesterday. 

I've updated firmware which made no difference...every time I flick the power switch to 'off', they just switch themselves back on. 

Just cleared out my paired devices list and they stayed off for about 10 minutes...then randomly turned themselves back on.

Called Bose support and their solution was to spend A$375 on another pair. Why would I spend effectively retail price on a pair of headphones that don't last?

Awaiting a response from the local Bose store who are trying to push things along. They are otherwise outstanding and have been good companions on many long haul flights, so it's a shame that there doesn't appear to be an option to fix the things.   

Hi ben31084,

Thanks for posting. We understand how frustrating it is when your product stops working properly. We would recommend that everyone who is having this problem please continue to work with your local support team for assistance. 

Regards,

Tony G

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@ben31084

Ben,

Your situation is not unique to your QC35.  We can 'guess' based on those who have checked in here in the 3 or 4 months I have been active, that it could be in the 100s if not 1000s.  It has absolutely nothing to do with reset, factory reset or updating the firmware.  Bose has told me here in a message that their testing shows it is not likely firmware and it is more than likely hardware though they won't say specifically anything more.  Users here in the forum have done their own testing and if you believe their results, then the problem lies with the contacts in the on/off switch.  There are instructions here for DIY'er with pictures to show how to make your own fix  (be careful with the small spring if you do it).  I have not read anything here from someone making the fix themselves that they still are having the turning on issue.

If you do not want to fix it yourself, be aware that no matter what you do, the QC35 will continue to turn itself on.  To 'live' with it, the only 'workaround' is to keep it charging when not in use.  You can sell it or otherwise give to someone else.  Or you can convince someone in Bose support (possibly through escalations to supervisors) to do a free exchange even if it is out of warrantee.  Many have checked in here success in doing so, but I believe from reading posts from the Austrailian users here recently, that the Bose support people there are 'resistant' - so you may need to try contacting someone in the US (which could mean your calling in the middle of the night 🙂 ).  If calling does not work, the emails of senior Bose executives are likely easily obtainable through a regular Google search.

munnaz
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 5, 2019

Hi Tony G,
The problem is, as Ben31084, VOJO and I all have encountered the completely unhelpful brickwall, that is called the Australian support team.
@Tony_G wrote:

Hi ben31084,

work with your local support team for assistance. 

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

It hurts when you bang yourself against a brick wall.  Sounds like at some point you are left with the choices of (a) going outside of AU, (b) following the email suggestion/route, or (c) give up --- unless of course would rather (d) fix it yourself or (e) get rid of the QC35.  I am disappointed that the support organization senior staff in Mass. has never gotten it's act together and put out a consistent policy worldwide. Unfortunately, we all need to "play the hand we were dealt".

Vojo
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 19, 2019

Nicely put.

gpioneer
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2019

I've yet to send my pair back and yesterday I noticed when I plugged my pair in via the 3.5mm jack (while the headphones are OFF), it now causes the green light to come on. I don't believe this happened in the past when I plugged them in with a wire.

So I wonder if that could be another vector for the headphones to be "on" when the switch is off, the contacts on the headphones port on the headphones themselves might be registering that something is plugged in when it isn't.

I should mention audio cancellation was not active despite the green light being on, until I slide the power siwtch on the headphones to "on" manually.