toibs
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 15, 2019

Re: Headphones power on automatically

Just to update... 

Another call to US and spoke with a second supervisor. He agreed that there was an issue, but he agrred that they couldnt do anything from the US side as they only deal with US/Canada. However, i asked if he might be able to relay the information to the Tech guys in the UK who i have a case open with.

He went one better and passed me to one of the UK team that Support the US guys. The verified my serial and agreed that it would need to be replaced. Both the US and UK guys were aware of the issue.

So as people have said - Persevere!

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@toibsDon't give up - call Bose in Framingham again. Ask for the Bose Customer Service Manager.  I don't think it is appropriate to list his name here but his last name starts with "R".  You will need to be persistent.  Go Google Bose email addresses. Senior executives are normally listed in conjunction with stock services.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@PvManEscalate to a supervisor and keep repeating.  Call Framingham main number (not support) if necessary.  Makes no difference if its in or out of warrantee.  You need to remind them this is a class issue and not your personal QC35.  You should get a free exchange to a QC35ii.

Meb
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 19, 2019

I may have found the source of the auto turn-on...on my new iPhone XR, I can swipe down from the upper right corner to reveal Bluetooth, wireless, airplane mode and a few other items. But! There is also a music icon - likely there is music playing as is the case with my phone. When you click on this icon it expands. In the upper right hand corner there is radio tower icon that radiates as it searches for a device to play music through. You will likely find the icon for the headphones listed. I unchecked the headphones and the headphones - for a short period - turned off. For some unexplained reason this icon keeps searching for the headphones and turns them on. After about 5 minutes the Bose icon is indicated and the headphones turn back on.

I am not sure how this function is supposed to work but the last update to my XR correlates to the timing of this problem.

Hopefully someone with more electronic skills can use this to narrow down on this very annoying problem.

Michael
BigBlue
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 4, 2019

I don't have an iPhone and I had the problem with my headphones. So I think we can rule the iPhone out.

More likely the scenario is that the headphones are turning on randomly and then connecting to your iPhone and your iPhone says "headphones connected... time to play music".

It's been pretty well established (read through this whole thread) that the headphone issue is a mechical one due to the switch prongs.

PvMan
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Escalated to a supervisor (in England?) and eventhough the conversation was cordial I landed on a dead end, They are not willing to do anything as the headphones are "out of warranty". The consolation is to get a discount on new unit purchase which I probably won't go for. Who knows if I will have to buy a new discounted set every so often. I will most likely depart from being a Bose customer

PvMan
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Hello Jonas, were your headphones still on warranty? Mine are just past the warranty period and they would not replace them

PvMan
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

Escalated to a supervisor (in England?) and eventhough the conversation was cordial I landed on a dead end, They are not willing to do anything as the headphones are "out of warranty". The consolation is to get a discount on new unit purchase which I probably won't go for. Who knows if I will have to buy a new discounted set every so often. I will most likely depart from being a Bose customer

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@MebAs mentioned here recently, you source is not anything on your iPhone.  In fact, the issue happens regardless of the other communicating device - iphone, droid, or pc/mac.  Quite frankly it has been shown here undisputably that the problem are loose and shifting contacts on the on/off switch.  There is NO workaround.  Simply you have two options (unless you want to live with it and keep it charging all the time): (1) you can use the instructions here to fix it yourself or (2) you can call Bose and after going through their troubleshooting, ask for a NO COST exchange for a QC-35ii (whether you are within warrantee or not).  They will offer an exchange for a price.  Refuse.  Keep calling back - escalate if necessary.  Persistence here has shown that if you do it enough times and are foreful enough that you are part of the class of devices with bad on/off switches, eventually someone in support will agree.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

@PvManIgnore them and call back again.  If they say no out of warrantee - escalate to a supervisor.  If necessary, escalate multiple times and if you need to, ask for a supervisor in Framingham.  If they won't pass you, call corporate HQ in Framingham.  Do what others have done here and be repetitive and persistent.  Warantee in this case makes no difference.  If you keep at it, like others here and insist you are part of the class of devices with a faulty on/off switch, you will eventually get someone who will be willing to do a free exchange.