Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 15, 2019

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

DIsagree. Bose are all too aware of the issue. The Guy i eventually spoke to said that it was a known issue and that they had internal memos about the problem.

It's a shame that the first line guys on the phones seem to be on commission to get as much money as they can from the consumer, and play hard ball.

I guess Bose dont want it to be common knowledge or else everyone would be wanting to replace theirs. And understandibly so.

Whilst i was lucky enough to EVENTUALLY be able to get a replacement set FOC, and i am greatful of that, the whole thing has left a sour taste. I wont be buying Bose again.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@rahulrevi 
>I am still not happy that such a defect of massive scale is not addressed by a product replacement free of cost

Sadly it is - thing is not all the support people know to do that.  My exchange last December was free and as was many of the people here who were persistent.  If it is not too late, cancel what you just did and keep calling until you get the exchange for free.  Some Bose people will and some won't.  You should pay 0 even if out of warrantee.  If you already have been charged/paid, ask for your money back or dipute the charge.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 2, 2019

I totally agree with you. My other question is.l, is this issue a known issue only with series 1? Is the replacement Series 2 headphones prone to this? If so, even replacement doesnt solve this !!!
Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Time will tell if the QC35II will have the same issue.

Spend some time talking to their service rep indeed (last week). Initially wanted to give me a 50% discount on the QC35II but I kept saying that is not acceptable. Reason being that their software update caused the headphones to turn on by themselves after turning it off.

So after talking to the Bose service department manager, and confirming I tried all the recommended error solving suggestions (which didn't resolve the issue), I will receive a replacement/upgrade for free, as a 1 time courtesy. Very pleased with their customer service. You just have to be persistent and keep your cool.

Note: I did have to sent in my QC35I to receive the replacement/upgrade. They have been received by Bose, but I haven't received the QC35II yet. Will update here when I do. 

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Sh1n3 

>Reason being that their software update caused the headphones to turn on by themselves after turning it off.

That is highly likely not true.  Many customers here have found and confirmed that problem has nothing to do with the firmware and so there is no way to fix it with firmware.  It is a hardware defect in the contacts for the on/off switch.  As shown many pages back in this post, there are instructions with pictures on how to fix it yourself if you wish.  Or you can get Bose to exchange it (warrantee or not) for a QC35ii. 

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@rahulrevi  I have had both a QC35i and a QC35ii.  What I noticed as soon as I received the Qc35ii is that the on/off switch needed more pressure to toggle between on and off.  I am guessing that somewhere back in time, Bose engineers/designers determined that the on/off switch could be problematic and redesigned the on/off switch to be sturdier for the QC35ii.  I had yet to read here of a single case for a QC35ii.  I would think that the QC35ii is not likely to have this problem.  On the other hand the QC35ii's especially the AZ serial numbered ones (versus the AE ones like the one I have) seem to be having potential ANC/background noise issues when on the current  firmware.  So if you are lucky enough to get a QC35ii with the previous firmware version, I would suggest you do NOT upgrade the firmware since there is no way to go back.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 3, 2019

Actually removing Bose app from my phone fixed the problem for me.

I hope it will be helpfull to everyone having this issue.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 4, 2019

Burcak:

I never had the Bose app before my headset started having the issues. Don't think it is related. I think you'll find that your 'fix' is just a temporary reprieve and the issue will continue. It's been pretty solidly validated to be a physical switch issue.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

Update to my case:

Living in Germany. Did everything through emails with support.

Basically, after a long time emailing back and forth and receiving several no's (emphasis on several). They decided to give me a free refund if I could prove that I purchased the headphones within 3 months of the expiration date. A little confusing, I know. This is exactly what support wrote me:

"The device warranty was expired on 26th of December. If you can proof that you bought your Headphones after 26th of September 2016, I can offer you the exchange for free. If not my only offer I can make is to offer you the exchange 170€."

Fortunately, I was within this timeframe and I'm now rocking a brand new pair.

I still think this extra 3 month period is absurd. But at least it solved my problem.

I really hope this helps somebody here get their headphones replaced too.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 30, 2019

Look guys - I tried to tell Bose but they really did not offer anything other than the warranty which I would usually think would be perfectly ok - but my main objection is that this seems to be a systemic problem that I would expect them to take care of. I will not spend more time on this - just vote with my feet and buy another product - don’t really care that much, but perhaps somewhat surprised that Bose is not using this as an chance to really show good customer service ...will go for B&O instead.. at least they look nicer...