QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

SOLVED
Audible Advocate

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

Did they not replace them for you? I have a friend who has the same set and the same thing happened. He ended up getting a replacement. I will call tomorrow to see if I can get mine. Such an expensive set of headphones should be able to last more than a year.

Silent Starter

Qc 35 11 not turning off when placed in case

White light stay

Wistful Whiz

Hey moderators -

Been some months since we heard anything about this ongoing problem.  Is Bose still 'investigating' the cause?  Have engineering yet confirmed it is a problem with the on/off switch contacts or do they still think it is something else.
As recently as today, people are still coming to this community to report a problem which started getting reported at the beginning of 2018.  When I turned in my QC35i in Nov, 2018, 9 months ago, I was given the impression that Bose would be able to identify the problem by early 2019.

So where do we stand on this issue and if you have yet to hear anything new, now would be a good time to get an update.

Wistful Whiz

Re: Qc 35 11 not turning off when placed in case

See: https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC-35-I-is-Turning-On-By-Itself/m-p/106140#M3... (all 71 screens of it - should be near the top of this page).  Problem was first reported 12 to 18 months ago.  By end of 2018, the customers here became reasonably sure that it was caused by slippage of the contacts in the on/off switch.  So it is a hardware problem with no workaround - other than you fix it yourself (see pics near the last page).  Everyone doing the fix has reported the problem went away (except one who found it slipped a second time). Your only other option is to call Bose, do the standard troubleshooting, state you are part of this larger group, it's a hardware problem and ask for an exchange.  They will ask you for money - refuse.  Keep calling back and escalating if necessary until you get to a Bose support person willing to to a free exchange even if it is out of warrantee.  You may have to do this over a dozen times - but it's all about persistence.

Audible Advocate

I called Bose today and spoke to support trying to report this issue and/or get a replacement. I work in software and know how things work. The representative kind off admitted that Bose developed the QC 35 II headphones for that reason. She when onto having me install the latest upgrade via the Bose Connect app. She told me to call back if this continues to happen. Well after a few hours the headphones turned back on by itself even though the power switch is off. I turned them on and off and they have not turned back on. I will keep an eye on them and will call them back. The other issue I am having is that the headphones are not pairing with my Bluetooth TV. 

Silent Starter

Hi, a big thank you to everyone on this page. It's saved me some money. I wanted to quickly share my story.

I purchased my qc35 headphones in Vancouver Canada back in March of 2017, they were manufactured January 2017...well out of warranty.

About a month ago I started having the automatically powering on and draining the battery issue. Initially, it was sporadic but gradually became more common. I had never used the Bose connect APP, and I was still running the original firmware.
The problem led me to this forum. After reading through the replies, I contacted the service center, through the Canadian number. This was on the 1st of July. My initial contact was as predicted...recommending that I update the firmware. 
I installed the Bose Connect app onto my iPhone and updated the firmware on the headphones to the newest version, 3.0.3
Not surprisingly, the problem recurred. I called back to the service center and explained that this did not solve the problem. Their initial response was to offer me an upgrade for $250 Canadian plus tax. I politely said no and asked to speak with a manager. I was quickly transferred to a manager and I experienced no pushback. I explained the situation and was told that I would receive an email within 24 to 48 hours containing a shipping label to send my headphones back free of charge, for a free upgrade to the qc35 ii model.
I'm happy to report that I just received the new headphones today, July 16th. In all the process took two weeks and Bose covered all expenses including shipping.

While I must admit I'm a little bit frustrated with the message that their front-line staff are giving, ultimately I am very pleased with how they have stood behind their product. This is why I paid so much for the headphones in the first place. Fortunately, I was able to do a bit of research and find this forum.

Thanks again everybody for your contribution!

Audible Advocate

Thank you so much for the details you have shared. Well I had the same experience. Today I called Bose back as the problem reoccurred. They offered me the replacements for $250+tax. She did confirm the new model was developed to correct this issue. I said no. I got them as a gift and since I don’t have the receipt, they want to

give me 50% off. I will be callingbadking for a manager. 

Wistful Whiz

Hey guys - I really don't chase my tail and go around in circles Smiley Happy

I noticed a post above that had a link to see this post.  My guess is there was a separate post about the QC35i turning off and the moderators combined that post into this one.  Hence a link that points to itself.....

Silent Starter

I've had the same problem with one of my QC35 headsets for over a year; the other works fine so far.  Strangely, the one that works well is the one I use the most often, go figure.  Anyway, I took the cover off mine to see what's up and to try the fix posted earlier in this thread.  The fix didn't really work for me, but I did notice that the plastic switch that is used to turn the headset on and off is broken out on one side in such a way that it would consistently work in only one direction.  Doesn't matter much though because the dang thing stays on no matter what.  With the cover off and direct access to the on/off switch, it still only turns off intermittently when sliding to the off position.  And if I do manage to turn it off, it randomly turns itself back on and runs the battery down.  The only way I can use this headset is to charge it immediately before I need it.  Pretty frustrating for such an expensive piece of hardware.  Oh, and I have the latest firmware too.InkedIMG_20190717_090212_LI.jpg

Hello Kb5ynf,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community! 

I am so sorry you are having this issue. As you have tried all troubleshooting steps, the best option here would be to reach out to your local customer support center and explore the service options for your headset. You can do this by clicking this link here: https://bose.life/2f4nJid, selecting your region, scrolling to the bottom of the page, and selecting contact us. If you are in the US or UK you can also reach out via Facebook or Twitter and one of our team can help you there. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W