joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

@apreslin 

I turned in my QC35i for a QC35ii last Nov (2018) and the first thing I noticed is how much easier it was to push the QC35i on/off switch - there was noticeably more resistance imho to pushing the QC35ii switch.  So I personally believe Bose somewhere along the line realized what you are talking about and redesigned the switch (and hence we don't see the same thing reoccurring for the QC35ii).

>Bummer that Bose can't seem to own up to the defect and come up with a standard recall process
>that would fix the issues on affected headphones

As I recollect, Bose support made a post (could have been here in this thread) sometime back in June or thereabouts stating the problem was hardware and not firmware.  That is about as far as we are going to get from Bose.  The chance of a voluntary recall is 0 - its all about $s imho.  They are more than willing to do a free exchange if pressed - that is significantly less impactful to their bottom line than a recall.   Also keep in mind that one a percentage of the customers with the problem who call in get a free exchange - most just assume that when out of warranty they have to pay.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@mehringe 

Disregard what they say about paying.  You do NOT have to pay.  You need to call back and try someone else. And if they say the same thing call  back again.  Escalate to a supervisor, then keep calling other supervisor.  It's all about persistence.  If you can't get a support person in your country, call the main number for Bose in Framingham, Mass (Bose HQs) and get a support person that way.  Those who have persistence, eventually get an exchange at no charge even out of warranty.  There many in this thread who have said as such.

You are part of a larger group with a common manufacturing problem.  It makes no difference how old your unit is.  Keep calling till you get what you want.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Guappy17 

Its not a firmware problem.  Bose already said so here at the beginning of the summer.  It is a known and verified issue involving the contacts in the on/off switch slipping.  Firmware and settings will not fix the problem.  If you already have seen it, you will see it again.  There is no workaround.  You really only have two options:

1. Fix it yourself with the instructions here

2. Get Bose to give you a free exchange to a QC35ii (which may require many phone calls by you since they are instructed to ask you to pay for the exchange once it is out of warranty)

mdaddy46
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 7, 2019

Bose QC 35 II will not power off even when switch is off

My QC35 II will not power off even when the switch is turned off. I've not had them for a year yet. It started with the bluetooth light staying on even when powered off, now the green power light stays on even when powered off AND battery keeps draining. 

asianlui@gmail.com
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 8, 2019

I called customer service as moshin said but all they did was sell me a new headset and tell me that this is an isolated case. customers who purchased $350 dollar headset would expect more. Although they did say they that they already extended the warranty of the headset

asianlui@gmail.com
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 8, 2019

did you pay for the exchange?

lbessus
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 22, 2019

I cancelled that and decided not to be a Bose customer any longer due to bad experience with a rude customer service manager. If I need a NC headphone I will consider to buy other brand. (I purchased two QC35s for me and my wife, They are still brand new conditions but they are useless now)

[removed by moderator]

kenmac
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 18, 2019

Guys, the fix takes 10 minutes.  It's shorter than a phonecall to Bose.   Just try it - it'll be fine.  

https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC-35-I-is-Turning-On-By-Itself/m-p/173964/hi...

It takes so much more energy to fight with Bose and hand over more money.  Just fix it, and follow recommendations on how to prevent it again.   You'll be glad you did. 

bipbip
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Oct 12, 2019

Does anyone know if a class action has been created for this issue? Not sure this case would be illegible though.

samee
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 14, 2019

I tried the method but it did not work, also tried calling bose but was told to pay more than half of the original value which is insane for a flaw that is documented in their product. I have used these headphones rarely only on flights and they look absolutely brand new. I think it should be like car recalls even if the warranty end if the product is faulty they should either repair or replace it.