GrumpyHobo
Participant
Registered since

Dec 1, 2019

QC 35 II Discord sound issues

I've seen this issue discussed about the 700's but not the QC 35 so i thought it best to start a new thread. 

My QC 35's seem to work great with most everything other than Discord.  Sadly this is a problem since I use discord fairly frequently.   Whenever I connect, there are 2 options for output to the headset.   The "stereo" option or the hands-free AG audio.  The hands-free option works, but the sound quality is so inferior compared to the stereo.  I'd be OK with this for just talking on discord, but all sounds change to that setting, not just discord.  If I change the option to the stereo though, sound cuts out either to discord or everything other than discord.  This seems to also affect the microphone.  If discord's sound cuts out, than the microphone will work and other people will be able to hear me (but i can't hear them), but if discord's sound stays (meaning everything else cuts out) the microphone won't work.   

I've tried connecting like this to 3 different computers and all have the same problem, making me believe it's not a software problem.  Either there is a hardware problem, or more likely, its just how these headphones work.   

I run on windows 10 with the newest November 2019 update (Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362).  I have done all the classic fixes like computer/headphone restarts and driver updates/reinstall. My QC 35 II's are brand new, fresh out of the box.  

I've put a lot of time into this and am getting very frustrates since these aren't exactly cheep.  I'm pretty sure at this point that it's just how they work with discord, which sadly means i'll need to return them.  This is a real shame since the stereo option sounds great, but my headphones from 5 years ago sound better than the hands-free AG option. 

I hope I'm wrong and someone can give me advice on how to fix this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Keith_L

Re: QC 35 II Discord sound issues

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Tegan_M

Hi Grumpyhobo,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community.

What it seems like is happening to me is this is based on how the computer and the headphones are communicating with each other over Bluetooth. The computer can either connect with the headset profile or its stereo audio profile for all audio.

What this means is that depending on which profile is being used, that is how all audio being sent from the computer to the headphones is being transmitted. So if we use the stereo audio profile we will get better audio quality than the headset profile but will be unable to use the microphone and all audio will be streamed on that profile. When using the headset profile to allow the use of the mic, all audio on your computer is being transmitted over the headset profile, so all of the audio outputted by the computer will be affected not just discord. 

It does sound like it is a limitation of the Bluetooth profiles in play rather than an issue with either discord or the headphones in this instance. The headphones are not really designed to be gaming headsets, more headphones with the ability to take phone calls.

I hope this helps explain the process.

Kind regards,

Keith L - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Keith_L

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Tegan_M

Hi Grumpyhobo,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community.

What it seems like is happening to me is this is based on how the computer and the headphones are communicating with each other over Bluetooth. The computer can either connect with the headset profile or its stereo audio profile for all audio.

What this means is that depending on which profile is being used, that is how all audio being sent from the computer to the headphones is being transmitted. So if we use the stereo audio profile we will get better audio quality than the headset profile but will be unable to use the microphone and all audio will be streamed on that profile. When using the headset profile to allow the use of the mic, all audio on your computer is being transmitted over the headset profile, so all of the audio outputted by the computer will be affected not just discord. 

It does sound like it is a limitation of the Bluetooth profiles in play rather than an issue with either discord or the headphones in this instance. The headphones are not really designed to be gaming headsets, more headphones with the ability to take phone calls.

I hope this helps explain the process.

Kind regards,

Keith L - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

soggez
Participant
Registered since

Apr 13, 2020

Sound cut when on discord (qc 35 2)

Hello everyone,

I just bought a QC 35 2 to use with my computer.

When im playing video games, and using discord, the casque do not display the game sound and just my conversation on discord. How can I hear the two?

I am using Bluetooth. 

skelly2256
Participant
Registered since

May 25, 2020

Is this fixed when buying the audio cable connector?

Robsku
Participant
Registered since

Jun 24, 2020

Gaming while using Discord with QC 35 II

I just bought a QC 35 II and am very pleased with the product. It works perfectly fine, the sound is amazing... I like it a lot. I only have one problem.

I've been playing video games with my friends for the longest time while being on call with them on Discord to be able to communicate easily. Only with the QC 35 II, I can't seem to be able to do both at the same time. What I mean is that when I get into a call with a friend, every other application's sound gets muted in a way that I can only hear my friend's voice, which would make it impossible for me to play a video game like Overwatch with them at the same time, as hearing what is going on around you is essential in that game.

tl;dr: I want to be able to be in a call on Discord without every other application's sound getting muted.

Is there a solution to my problem?

Edit: I am using a laptop.

FSmza
Participant
Registered since

Aug 12, 2020

So the response is "tough, even though it has the capability of doing it elsewhere we're not going to resolve this". Great to hear this from a brand like Bose. 

matebus
Participant
Registered since

Nov 11, 2020

Bose QC 35 II not receiving audio from 2 sources

Hello,

I mainly use my Bose QC 35 II with pc. I have managed to set it up, even connect the microphone. But the headphones are unable to receive sound from two sources. Let me explain. When I am talking to my partner on facebook messenger call (PC), and we are usually watching something together so I have amazon prime video open as well, but it seems like I can only hear one of the sources, usually the one I start first. I have no idea how to fix this issue. Is there any way to hear the person talking to me on facebook messenger (we are still on PC), and watch amazon prime video at the same time? What could cause this problem? Why cant the headphones handle both audio? 

escape
Enthusiast
Registered since

Nov 4, 2020

This is limited by the bluetooth technology, not by Bose.

The product that people here want does not exist. Either you use Bluetooth technology to use the headphones on your PC and smartphone and all other Bluetooth enabled devices to this standard or you get a gaming headphone with proprietary transmission specified by the manufacturer, but then you are limited to the devices supported by the manufacturer (through device drivers).

The handsfree protocol was not developed by Bose but by the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) - the largest representatives there are apple microsoft and intel as well as 34000 other companies. There the complaints about the bluetooth technology would be appropriate.

Alternatively one can bring even something better on the market and become relatively fast a multi-billionaire.

BlueDragonHatch
Participant
Registered since

Dec 1, 2020

escape, that is a straight-up lie. My Bluetooth earbuds can do what you claim bode QC35 II headset cannot do because of a limitation of Bluetooth technology. If a $50 pair of earphones can do it, I expect a $350 headset to be able to do the same.
I just want to be able to hear the full audio of all programs on my desktop, why does cut out everything but discord sound?

It is not an issue with Bluetooth, but with this specific, otherwise great, headset.

Jim90
Participant
Registered since

Jan 6, 2021

Ladies, Gentlemen and friends. 

I believe I have an actual solution that should work for most. I'm using Bose QC35 II. 
Requires: Alternative mic input to the Bose headphones.

Within discord, change the input device (microphone) to an alternative to your headphones. 

e.g 

Input = MacBook Pro Microphone
Output = BoseQC35 II

This resolved the issue for me.
My Bose sound as they should (stereo / high quality), and my macbook pics up my voice. 

Hope this helps!