Highlighted
Varvaravych
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

QC 35 II Problems with microphone and sound playing at the same time on Windows10

Hi, there.

I've just purchased QC 35 II - almost everything works fine (even great):

audio on PC and phone - great

microphone on phone - good

while chatting on PC - I hear only my microphone without sound from the chat... That's very disappointing. It's seems like I have to choose between microphone and sound from headphones... But they suppose to work both, together at the same time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: QC 35 II Problems with microphone and sound playing at the same time on Windows10

Author Accepted Answer selected by Varvaravych

@Varvaravych 

As I understand the question here, the issue or question concerns playing stereo music and being in a conversation at the same time.  I have a much longer explanation as I understood it here from this past Wed:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/Bose-QC35-hands-free-stereo/m-p/221903#M43393

Bluetooth (BT) is a communication standard with 31 different 'profiles' which can be used by themselves or implemented with other profiles.  Two of the are A2DP (for stereo music) and HFP (for voice over IP phone calls).  It is certainly possible to combine these two together but to do so, requires a co-operative implementation of the standard from both sides.   The fact that you can hear your callers and yourself at the same time if that is what you describe is independent of this discussion since as I understand it, both are part of the same profile, HFP implementation.

So the question then becomes can you hear music played on your Windows machine and make a VOIP phone call and hear both streams at the same time through the QC35.  There are two issues here - one on each end of the communication:

1. My simple googling found information which suggests that the default Windows 'drivers' for both BT and sound do not support simultaneous use of A2DP and HFP.  You would need to find and use third party sound drivers such as Broadcomm drivers (https://superuser.com/questions/978089/simultaneous-use-of-a2dp-and-hfp-bluetooth-profiles)
2. Even if you can get drivers on the Windows end to support simultaneous use of both profiles, you need support from the Bose end as well.  As you know, if you are playing music (A2DP) and make or receive a phone call, the music stream is paused for the phone call (HFP) by the Bose end.  I am not aware of any way currently change that behavior.

And finally, even if you find a way as you suggest to get them to work, keep in mind A2DP streams are high quality stereo but HFP audio is designed specifically for voice and will sound like phone conversations have sounded for decades - single mono channel low quality sound.  So if you get it to work, say by both the music and the phone call playing through the same single HFP profile - they both will sound like low quality mono.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: QC 35 II Problems with microphone and sound playing at the same time on Windows10

Hello Varvaravych, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your QuietComfort 35 II headphones. I would be more than happy to assist today, can you tell me what application you are using to make the call where the issues appears? Also, can I just confirm that you are hearing yourself on the call rather than the other person and are they still able to hear you?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C - Community Support 

Varvaravych
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

Hello, Zoe C.

Sorry, maybe I'm not explaining well. You're right - actually, I can hear what others are saying. But at that same moment, I also hear myself (from my headset microphone). It's a little bit (in fact more 🙂 annoying - especially in a noisy room. Nevertheless, it's working.
But when I use them during playing videogame (Mass Effect 3) I'm hearing only chat without any music from the game. I figured out how to make them (QC 35 II) work how I want (on PC) - just manually disable one of the sound connections (on PC I see two connections from QC for playing sound and one as a microphone). In that case, I hear both - chat and game music. But the sound I hear is awful.
Nevertheless, I understand that they (QC) are working. BUT is there any chance to disable hearing myself (microphone for me, not for a person I'm speaking to), maybe there is a feature to turn it on/off. It would be a GREAT pleasure.
Thanks for a quick response!
Varvaravych
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

"to disable hearing myself (microphone for me, not for a person I'm speaking to)" - I mean I need

1. a possibility (and toggle it)  to hear audio (if it's playing) on PC instead of my own microphone

2. but when they're connected to a cellphone - only a possibility to disable microphone for me, not for a person I'm speaking to.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by Varvaravych

@Varvaravych 

As I understand the question here, the issue or question concerns playing stereo music and being in a conversation at the same time.  I have a much longer explanation as I understood it here from this past Wed:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/Bose-QC35-hands-free-stereo/m-p/221903#M43393

Bluetooth (BT) is a communication standard with 31 different 'profiles' which can be used by themselves or implemented with other profiles.  Two of the are A2DP (for stereo music) and HFP (for voice over IP phone calls).  It is certainly possible to combine these two together but to do so, requires a co-operative implementation of the standard from both sides.   The fact that you can hear your callers and yourself at the same time if that is what you describe is independent of this discussion since as I understand it, both are part of the same profile, HFP implementation.

So the question then becomes can you hear music played on your Windows machine and make a VOIP phone call and hear both streams at the same time through the QC35.  There are two issues here - one on each end of the communication:

1. My simple googling found information which suggests that the default Windows 'drivers' for both BT and sound do not support simultaneous use of A2DP and HFP.  You would need to find and use third party sound drivers such as Broadcomm drivers (https://superuser.com/questions/978089/simultaneous-use-of-a2dp-and-hfp-bluetooth-profiles)
2. Even if you can get drivers on the Windows end to support simultaneous use of both profiles, you need support from the Bose end as well.  As you know, if you are playing music (A2DP) and make or receive a phone call, the music stream is paused for the phone call (HFP) by the Bose end.  I am not aware of any way currently change that behavior.

And finally, even if you find a way as you suggest to get them to work, keep in mind A2DP streams are high quality stereo but HFP audio is designed specifically for voice and will sound like phone conversations have sounded for decades - single mono channel low quality sound.  So if you get it to work, say by both the music and the phone call playing through the same single HFP profile - they both will sound like low quality mono.

Varvaravych
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

Thanks for quick anwer and explanation @joelirwin

It's disappointing that there's no way to make them work as a wire headphones can...

To make them work on my PC (windows 10) I've just disabled "Hands-Free" and all other sound player devices.

Now I understand that QC 35 II is useful only for playing music, don't bother with wires. But if I want to have good sound and chat I (on PC) need another one microphone.

Even if I used them only for phonecalls, Viber, etc.  they don't work properly - it's mine opinion (and a lot of Bose's members) -> during conversation microphones record all inviroment's sounds not only to whom I'm speaking to, I also hear everything. Only imagine that your mobile works in that way! It'd be a nightmare. And It seems like those microphones were design for spying - very sensitive.

If I understood @joelirwin properly, QC 35 II can't work on PC as I want - it's BT limitations. Or Bose had to built in microphones as another separate devise (if it's possible)

But problem with headset playing me it's own microphones during conversation refure to Bose. They can't fix it since 2017/18. My headphones were manufacured in 29.03.2019.

If I was in their shoes I'd just produce this headphones model without microphones - at least noone will complain.

found about ANC and mic recording - https://community.bose.com/t5/Headphones-Archive/QC35-mic-picking-up-background-noise/m-p/146708/hig...