QC 35 II call sound quality is low

Quiet Contributor

QC 35 II call sound quality is low

I have a new pair of QC35 II headphones paired to a new iPhone XS Max. Music quality with Spotify, Netflix, YouTube all that sounds great and the noise cancellation is very good while listening to those sources. However, when I make a call it sounds like all the noise cancellation turns off completely and the sound quality is very poor. Nowhere close to what I expect from Bose headphones and also not close to what I got with my QC15 headphones on my old iPhone. Also, the person I'm talking to reports the sound as bad on their end. How can I diagnose and correct this issue? I don't see any settings that look related to this problem.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: QC 35 II call sound quality is low

Hi mikedice417,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! That sounds frustrating. We do have another post that relates to what you are asking here. 

QC35 and QC30 for communications

Let us know if any information there was helpful.

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

Quiet Contributor

In that thread you sent me the link to, it sounds like many other people have the same problem with the Bose bluetooth headphones. Call quality is not good. In the thread you linked, I do not have a way to Reply to the thread and share my experience.

Anyway, I contacted support. They had me 'reset' the headphones. The call quality is slightlight better but still well below would I would expect for such expensive headphones. I'm going to return them.

Friendly Fanatic

Hi, 

I want to downgrade to firmware 2.0.1. Please provide a link to downgrade or I'll have to return the headphones. 
If you don't provide a link for the 2.0.1 downgrade, please provide one for returning the headphones, free of charge. 

Today, my manager said i was talking from the bathrooom. This is crucial to my work. Also, the quality of ANC has gone down. 
My first burn was when I upgraded to 2.5.1, but i was able to downgrade to 2.1.3. Now i can't even downgrade. WHY? 

Solve your problems, BOSE! And please answer this post! 

Daniel

Hi dcolceag,

Thanks for reaching out. I am sorry that your QC35 has not lived up to your satisfaction. There is a post that discusses downgrading that you can see here.

Upcoming Changes to the Bluetooth Updater Website

We also have another post that talks about ANC that you can see here.

An ANC Note From Your Community Moderation Team

If you feel like the QC35II is no longer working for you, I would recommend contacting your local support team for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your region, kindly scroll down until you see "Contact Us." 

Regards,

Tony G

Friendly Fanatic

Hi Tony, 

I can assure you I've read everything before posting. I know those two posts and they are not solving anything. 
Please provide something that actually works and fixes the ANC, bluetooth and call quality.  I (and most of the users posting here) want FW 2.0.1.

What you provide is dust in the wind, saying that you will not provide the downgrade option anymore. My question is: have YOU read the announcements?   

On behalf of all users requesting FW 2.0.1 back, 
Daniel.

Friendly Fanatic

that is because of the rubbish new side tone feature

https://www.change.org/p/bose-disable-sidetone-bose-wireless-headphones

Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer

@akswalia23 

For the lay people reading this, can you explain the relationship between "sidetone" and "active noise cancellation (ANC)".   Is sidetone relevant for just noisy environments or all the time.  When I turn on ANC in a quiet environment all that I hear go away is the low frequency humms...

And for customers who purchase the QC35i for playing music and streaming audio and do not do any VOIP/Phone calls at all or otherwise use the mic, should they be caring about Sidetone?