Highlighted
Sel H
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 26, 2019

QC 35 II incredibly high pitched whistling problem

Hello,

I have a pair of relatively new QC 35 II's, bought in April.

They are fully updated.

I have attempted all reset protocols.

No damage has befell the headphones.

As of one month ago, applying a small level of pressure to the right earcup (outside of it) occasionally causes an unbearable incredibly high pitched whistling sound that necessitates the immediate removal of the headphones. This occurence is mostly random/unpredictable. It happens at least every two days and the (distorted-ish) whistling persists for about 6 seconds. One way of predicting the occurence of the sound is this: I have found that moving my ears (with the headphones on) causes a sound/feeling something like an air pressure change, in the right cup. Applying the aforementioned pressure causes the unbearable whistle. However, if I move my ears and there is no air pressure change, I can be fairly certain that the noise will not occur if I apply pressure to the cup. Please help!

Regards

21 REPLIES 21

Re: QC 35 II incredibly high pitched whistling problem

Hello Sel H,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem with your QC35 II headphones.

I can imagine how concerning this may be.

I would recommend that you ensure the screen covered earcup ports are not blocked or covered. This can cause squealing, feedback or other audio performance issues. 

If this does not help your issue, the next best option would be to contact your local Customer Service center to explore service options.

Global Contact Us > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'

I'm sorry that I could not help any further!

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

AnrietteC
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

I have this exact issue. I bought my headphones around February/March of this year. The noise is, like you said, very unbearable. I have found that cycling through the NC-levels and back to High fixes the issue for me temporarily until another random time when it starts to pop-up again.

@Charlotte: By “screen covered earcup ports are not blocked or covered”, do you mean on the inside of the cup?

Hello AnrietteC,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear that you are also experiencing a high pitched whistling sound, what @Charlotte_G meant was the microphones that are on the headphones need to be checked to make sure that they are clear of any debris. 

I would also like to know if you still hear this whistling when you are not wearing the headset?

Kindest regards,

Zoe C 

Sel H
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 26, 2019

Hi there and thanks for your swift response,

Regarding your solution: 

@Charlotte_G wrote:

I would recommend that you ensure the screen covered earcup ports are not blocked or covered. This can cause squealing, feedback or other audio performance issues. 

I need some clarification. Could you attach a diagram or something I can refer to? I can see where you're coming from in your reasoning, but I'm unsure of what you mean by the 'screen covered earcup ports'.

Apologies and Regards.

Hello AnrietteC,

Thanks for getting in touch, I have attached a picture for you. 

HEadphones.png

I hope this helps, should you need anything else please get in touch.

Kindest regards,

Zoe C 

AnrietteC
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

Hi Zoe

Thank you for uploading the picture description. I have checked these ports multiple times and they have never been blocked. I am an active glasses wearer, so I am not sure if the glasses are preventing the headphones from completely sealing off at some places behind my ear, though I will test again when it happens if taking off my glasses helps with the issue.

Sometimes the feedback continues when lifting the right earcup, and then it really gets sharp & loud and my ear stings for a few hours after the initial squeel. Naturally, because the headphones are electronic & I have communicated this issue to the vendor, they have stopped doing the behaviour as frequent as before. (note my sarcasm, haha)

Hi AnrietteC, 

Thanks for posting and updating us on this. 

We look forward to hearing back from you regarding this. If the issue does still persist and you have attempted all troubleshooting steps in this thread then, I would highly recommend getting in touch with our Customer Service Team via clicking this link. Then kindly scroll and select your region, once this is done please scroll to Contact Us. The team will be on hand and ready to help.

Kind Regards, 

Hector B  

Andrei_
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 13, 2019

Hi there,

So I wanted to open another topic but I found this one that presents the same issue that I have. I alos wear glasses, I've tried resetting and paring again but with no success.

At this point I'm quite scared to be honest to wear them again. It's scarry.. I've also managed to record the sound that it makes.https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ohoh6Sljzzip1uzigP4gRj7ZaySguvkX

Considering the amount of people preseing this issue, did you managed to track it down? Is there a fix coming for this? Is this a known issue?

Hi Andrei_, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue and appreciate the steps that you have attempted so far. 

Could you please also attempt to update your headphones to the latest software via the Bose Online Updater as well as letting me know if this issue persists across all levels of Noise Cancelling and devices? 

I look forward to hearing back from you regarding this. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B