Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2020

QC 35 II weird wavy audio

Hi,

I have the following issue: pretty regularly, when listening to music through the Chrome browser on a Windows 10 Laptop I get waves into the audio. I'm not sure how to best describe what I hear, so here are two recordings from headphones into my cell phone mic.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BOjtF1WgfoprAztsq9Fk74ghnVkVvDJU/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10Wb_j-e27Sj8VAoAFYpQX4Wo17YZTadY/view?usp=sharing

Both are .m4a files since that's the output of the Android Recorder.

Some things I noticed. If I (re)connect my cell phone while listening it stops (for a while only). Also if I start the Connect app on the phone if the headset is already connected to both. Other than that it is very hard to see a certain pattern in this.

Has anyone ever seen or heard a similar issue? How can I trouble shoot this?

Thanks,

Patrick  

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: QC 35 II weird wavy audio

Hello patdj, 

Thanks for reaching out. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with audio quality when using your headphones with your laptop. 

Does this issue occur when using other web browsers/applications on the laptop? Does it happen with any other devices? 

I'll look forward to hearing from you!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2020

Hi Jeff,

thanks for getting in touch. In my experience the issue only triggers when listening to media via web browser. But it then affects other applications as well. I have never had this issue with telephony applications though. It did happen on another Windows 10 laptop (different manufacturer even) I used while my main was in repair. It never happens on my phone though.

I know that is little to go by. I was hoping to find someone with similar issues and work out a pattern. Is there a way to access some sort of log file that would maybe give some clue on what happens. From how it feels on the ears it appears to me that something triggers an overreaction of the noise cancelling function or alike...

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2020

One more remark: as of now, it seems to happen only on Google music streaming services (previously Google Play Music, and now YouTube Music). 

Highlighted

Thanks for updating us on this patdj, 

There isn't any way for us to be able to look into logs for this headset. 

Can you please let me know if you experience this issue with both a wired and Bluetooth connection? A great step for us to perform would be to reset the headset via these steps below: 

• Power off your product
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Connect your product to a wall outlet using a USB charger
  • Wait five seconds
  • Disconnect the USB cable from the headset
  • Wait one minute
  • Power on your product.

We look forward to hearing back from you. 

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2020

Hello Hector,

thanks for trying to help. I ran through the reset and it fixes the issue temporarily. But it reoccurs, regardless of that.

Some extra input from my side:

As to whether there is a trigger and what the trigger is I am uncertain. I had moments where it just occurred, without any other "event" happening on the PC, at least not in the foreground. On other occasions though, I get the impression that it gets triggered when some other audio kicks off. Just now that was a Chrome browser notification by a Google Calendar appointment reminder. The other day it was an automatically started video in my LinkedIn feed (with muted sound though). This all seems very odd to me. I will see whether I can reproduce the error on a different BT headset. 

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2020

Been listening for a few hours to the same kind of audio sources with my old Sony MDR, even tried to reproduce aforementioned "triggers", but I do not get the same issue. It seems to at least be related to the QC35 II.

Highlighted

Hi patdj,

Thanks for the update!

As this does only seem to be happening with the QC35s, do you get the same change in sound if you have the headphones connected to your PC via the audio cable? Or does it only happen when using the Bluetooth connection?

One thing I would recommend doing is clearing the Bluetooth pairing between the headphones and your computer and then reconnecting them. To clear the pairing on the headphones, turn them on then slide and hold the Bluetooth/power switch to the Bluetooth symbol until you hear a notification. After doing this, you will want to forget the headphones from the computer's device list, then reconnect to them.

If it does continue after this, it would be worth seeing if the other apps/notifications are causing the computer to try and switch between the two pairing profiles the headphones use. One of these profiles is for listening to audio and the other for using the headphones for calls. What you will want to do to test this is open Control Panel on the computer and select Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices. In this window, select the Recording tab and select an option that isn't your headphones as the input device.

This will stop the computer from trying to use the microphone on the headset and means it won't change between the Bluetooth profiles. Test the computer after doing this and let us know how you get on.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2020

Hello Keith,

thanks for the elaborate answer.

No, the problem only occurs if the headset is connected via BT.

I had cleared the pairing before with no effect. Next time the issue occurs I'll repeat the process exactly how you described it and see what that does.

Regarding the back-up approach I'm attaching two screens of the mentioned Recording tab. What confused me is that there are two entries for the headset. Is that normal? Otherwise one may still be a relic from a previous model? Don't think that would be the root cause though, since the issue already existed with the previous model. (Due to a number of problems I had the previous model replaced by Bose).

Other than that my default input device is not the headset, but that is generally overwritten (by Windows or the respective app?) when the headset is connected, as far as I can tell.

patdj_0-1601626820441.png

patdj_2-1601626871470.png

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2020

Another update:
I just reconnected the way you described while the issue was in full swing. This did sadly not help at all, the issue reoccurred within minutes.

Then I attempted something similar to what you described as secondary option: I went to the Recording tab and disabled the Headset as input device. Did not change anything though, the issue persisted.

patdj_0-1601649129607.png

Any other ideas how we could diagnose the matter?