Radoslavster
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

QC 35 Sound Issues After Firmware Update 2.5.5.

I made the mistake this morning and I updated my headseat to the new firmware 2.5.5. and immediately the headphones started malfunctioning in terms of sound. I was listening to a certain song before the update and I continued after, and there was a striking difference. 
I never had an issue before with my QC 35 but now I can't listen anything on them without getting me very disfatisfied to the point that I just don't want to put them on anymore. 
Since the update my sound signature changed. Now there is a hissing, tinny sound going along in the background of every single song I play. It is not there during phone calls, but it is there during what I do most of the time with my headphones - listening to music. It is so noticeble that I can't just pretent it is not there. Especially when it is a fast pace - rock and roll songs with a lot of Cymbals .. it just unpleasent. The other time when it can be heart is when it is acustic song and you have only the vocals, without any music - you can definetly hear the noise/sound in the background of the vocals. 

I tried rolling back the firlware - but It is not possible.
I tried resetting the headphones - no changes.
I tried with different devices - same issue.
I tried same songs, same device - different headset - no issues 

I tried absolutly everything I know and read, but nothing helped. Then I decided to call Customer Services, but they didn't provide me with any solution. They didn't try to troubleshooot anything, they just ffered me to get a new Headset for a discounted price of 290$ - since I am out of warranty, which I refused since I haven't done nothing to my headphones. I have no extra money to put towards another pair - when I had a pefectly functioning one just few hours ago.
Then they offered me a bigger discount and offered me a new pair for 150$. I felt like they are bargaring with me - just to make me pay them. I really felt bad. I called for help and all I got is "give us more money and get new pair". Well I want my pair, for which I paid full retail price, working like it was. How is my fault their firmware is faulty and did something to my QC 35's

I am realliy dissapointed from the customer services I was provided with. I was transfered to a Supervisor but he didn't do nothing at all, just comfirm they offered me a pair for $150 without even trying to solve my problem.

I don't know if some of you have or had that issue, but I really hope I can find another solution, Or I have to call again and agree to spend more money for a product that might do the same witht he next firmware. 

22 REPLIES 22
Pontus72
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 28, 2019

Re: QC 35 Sound Issues After Firmware Update 2.5.5.

Sorry to hear about your problem. I have noticed the noise cancelling have decreased A LOT. Suspect it is after 2.5.5 update. I am also going to try and contact the customer support.

Hi Pontus72, thanks for your post and welcome to the community! We are very sorry to hear that you are having issues with your QuietComfort 35 headphones. This is a very uncommon issue and we are sorry to hear that you are experiencing it. We would love to run you through some troubleshooting steps that we think will help your issue. Firstly I would highly recommend a product reset, you can do this by: 

- Turn off the headset and wait 30 seconds.

- Plug the headset into a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait 5 seconds.

- Unplug the USB cord from the headset and wait 1 minute.

- Turn on the headset.

Could you please also try using a different device to see if the issue is coming from the device you are connecting it to. Could you please also try and use the Audio cable that was provided with the headphones to see if the issue is occurring directly when the device is connected to Bluetooth?  

Please let me know how you get on,

Kind Regards

Hector_B - Community Support 

Radoslavster
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Pontus72 I wish you luck.
Unfortunately for me I had to settle for a new pair for 150$. I am very unhappy about that but I couldn't stand the horrible,horrible sound.
Radoslavster
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Hector_B, you didn't even acknowledge my post, which is weird since it is the main for the thread.
I can confirm Pontus72 words about lower ANC after the update, but in my case wasn't significant, however the sound clarity and quality were nothing like before. I tried all the things you are suggesting. Nothing helped. A 350$ headphones start sounding like a 20$ headphones. Like i said I tried your suggestions + others I read in this forum, but no luck.

I can't really listen to them, because aggravates me more and more with each song. So I had to settle for replacement for another $150, which is outrageous, since I haven't done nothing to my headphones. If Bose is releasing Firmware update and that update degrades the product I shouldn't be the one paying the price. But since I can't stand such sound I send my headphones back yesterday....
sharmajiankur
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 28, 2019

Hi,

Same issue with my headphones. After updating the firmware the sound seems to be flat.

@Radoslavster wrote:
Hector_B, you didn't even acknowledge my post, which is weird since it is the main for the thread.
I can confirm Pontus72 words about lower ANC after the update, but in my case wasn't significant, however the sound clarity and quality were nothing like before. I tried all the things you are suggesting. Nothing helped. A 350$ headphones start sounding like a 20$ headphones. Like i said I tried your suggestions + others I read in this forum, but no luck.

I can't really listen to them, because aggravates me more and more with each song. So I had to settle for replacement for another $150, which is outrageous, since I haven't done nothing to my headphones. If Bose is releasing Firmware update and that update degrades the product I shouldn't be the one paying the price. But since I can't stand such sound I send my headphones back yesterday....

Hi All, 

I am really sorry you are experiencing issues with your QC 35. I would strongly recommend trying the troubleshooting steps mentioned above, to try and resolve the issue. 

Should you then need further assistance, please reach out to your local customer support team who will be more than happy to help. To find the contact details for your local team please follow this link, select your region, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select contact us. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky_W - Community Support 

sharmajiankur
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 28, 2019

I have already tried this but the sound signature is like cheap 20$ headphones now. Bass is gone.
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Vicky_W  With all due respect, this is not a problem with a specific QC35.  I remember reading at least 10 or perhaps greater posts here complaining about the exact same issue right after the firmware update came out 3 or so weeks ago.  The only thing I have not yet seen in the posts as to whether the the issue  pertains to both the AE and AZ versions of the QC35 or just the AZ version.

1. Troubleshooting does nothing to address this issue.  Bose has denied here that the changes have had any impact on the sound but multiple people here hear otherwise

2. Bose does not offer a way to regress the firmware.  Those that lurk here know not to upgrade.  But unfornately, many come here after upgrading and then hear the difference.  At that point they are out of luck.

3. Like the power on issue with the QC35i, making an offer for an upgrade for a price is standard Bose procedure but insulting to the customers when in their opinion, the 'issue' is not specific to their product.

What people are looking for here is 'ownership' by Bose - that Bose at least understands that somehow, intentional or unintentional, the firmware update has impact the way people hear the sound in the QC35.  The difference in hearing is related to Bose products and not differences in the way humans hear sound as Bose support people here suggest.

If Bose is not willing to agree that their firmware changes made a difference, then obviously Bose will not address the issue with a subsequent firmware fix.  Perhaps this is what is frustrating the customers here - Bose not taking 'ownership' (and suggesting it is the customer hearing issue).

XxxIcs1974xxx
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 6, 2019

I just bought the same headphones. It came with firmware 1.3.6 is that a good firmware version?