QC 35 bluetooth not connecting SOME devices after latest firmware upgrade to 2.53

SOLVED
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic

QC 35 bluetooth not connecting SOME devices after latest firmware upgrade to 2.53

I just received a NAD D 3045 Pre-Amp which feature bluetooth output.

I immediately tested this out and was able to successfully connect my Bose Qc 35 headphones via bluetooth (and simulatneously to a 2nd device - my iPhone).

Not leaving well enough alone - I also decided to upgrade my headphones to the latest FW 2.53.

Since this upgrade, I have not been able to pair with the NAD (though I can still pair between QC35<>iphones) AND I can pair between my NAD and other bluetooth devices/Speakers/not 2.53 headphones.

So the 2.53 upgrade seems to have uniquely messed with my connect to the NAD. 

Also worth noting that the  NAD DOES indicate the presence/availability of my Qc35, but it just won't make the connection anymore.

(Does anyone know if there is an aptX compatibility issue with the newer firmware)

For me the ideal solution is to roll back to an earlier FW version, but i tried the link from other threads and the a/d/v/[up]/[down] changes the display, but still doesn't provide any downgrade option as suggested in the other posts.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for downgrading FW?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Friendly Fanatic

Re: QC 35 bluetooth not connecting SOME devices after latest firmware upgrade to 2.53

reposting my response here (FYI to Bose thread moderators - it wasn't clear to me whether my 'direct' response to stb08007 was publicly viewable or not)

Glad to hear I'm not alone/crazy. I WAS finally able to get a helpful response from NAD tech support (I have a parallel discussion going on there).

The solution was to re-load the Bluetooth FW drivers, but they had to actually send them to me. The . software upgrade ZIP package that they had/have on the 3045 downloads page (https://nadelectronics.com/product/d-3045-hybrid-digital-dac-amplifier/)

does NOT actually include the d3045bt.bin file. I reloaded that firmware, per the instructions, and was able to connect& stream to my Bose headphones afterwards.

So I think the problem  is Mostly on the NAD side, since the FW reload on their side fixed it. 

still not clear why was this particular to the Bose QC 35 (all other bluetooth recievers worked fine)? and for me at least, it seemed to happen AFTER doing a SW upgrade to my Bose headphones (there was a brief instance when I first got the NAD that I was able to connect to the Bose, but it dropped after the upgrade). Since it works now with the new Bose FW (after the NAD FW reload), it may not be an issue with the new Bose FW. It *could* be a problem with how the NAD FW handles things when the Bose undergoes a FW upgrade, though, which may not be specific to Bose.  If you want to continue this, I'd recommend jumping teleporting over to my NAD group discussion on this.

14 REPLIES
Strident Supporter

Re: QC 35 bluetooth not connecting SOME devices after latest firmware upgrade to 2.53

Assume you are referring to a QC 35i since the current firmware version for the ii is 3.1.8.  Bose is going to suggest you try to rectify the situation by reinitializing everything - clear out all the paired devices on both ends.  If that does not help, it is likely something that was changed in the firmware.  I can not tell you as I don't work for Bose what the next step would be if that it is a firmware issue.  They may suggest you wait for a new firmware release though it could be a while until that happens and the next version may or may not work for you.  Or they may suggest an upgrade to a QC 35ii but (1) it may or may not be free and (2) the QC 35ii may or may not pair and play as well.

What I can say from what I have seen and read here is that the Bose firmware architecture is designed in the forward direction.  Bose Connect is designed only to push out new releases and I am not personally aware of any other method to regress to an earlier version of the firmware.  Perhaps Bose has a way I am not familar with or perhaps they can be convinced to offer a method.  Otherwise, you will need to stick with 2.5.3 until the next firmware release.

Friendly Fanatic

Following up on my ealrier post, it gets even more interesting. According to some other threads, the QC35 is not supposed to even support APTx code (which is what my NAD D 3045 uses).

The NAD seems to acknowledge the presence (via 'SSID') of my Bose headphones (along with any other bluetooth device), but it won't Connect to now after upgrading to FW v 2.5.3. 

So how was it ever able to connect before the FW upgrade? 

I don't know enough about the NAD BT features, but it seems like the Bose FW upgrade Removed the APTx compatibility. 

If that's the case, I'm pretty frustrated. Would love to find a way to do a FW rollback - anyone?

This other thread describes some problems with FW rollback from earlier this year (2018). Anyone have any more recent info on the rollback process?

https://community.bose.com/t5/Headphones-Archive/QC35II-Downgrade-Hell/td-p/115722/page/2

Hey Hahsjar,

Thank you for writing in and sorry to hear about the trouble you're having. Just to clarify a few things, aptX codec is not supported on the QC35 headphones. AAC and SBC have been the supported formats. 

The downgrade procedure is no longer available on the Bose Updater Site. You may read more about that announcement here.

Did you try restoring the NAD using the instructions found on page 4 of the manual? 

Let us know when you get the chance. 

Thank you again,

Mohsin - Community Support

Friendly Fanatic

Hi Mohsin,

I understand that the headphones are not aptx compatible, but this doesn’t explain how/why they were able to connect with the NAD before the FW upgrade(via SBC presumably, if not aptx), but Not after. 

I can also appreciate the desire to focus on forward upgrade support. But in my case, I have seen no clear value in the upgrade I made, and in fact have lost a capability whether it was accidental or not I would love to be able to reset my headphones to the way I bought them. 

But regardless, there was an instant where I could stream to the headphones via SBC or Some sort of compression scheme. That deserves some analysis and explanation as to how that was possible, and then went away after my FW update 
Friendly Fanatic

Mohsin,

Realized you were also referring to P4 of the D 3045 manual (appreciate your taking the time to find/scan it).

Yes - i tried resetting the D3045 (and changing the 'SSID' name of my QC 35i) to make sure the list of Bluetooth devices wasn't just 'frozen' in the NAD D3045, even after a reset.

The NAD does reset and the list of BT devices does appear to update dynamically with any new/removed/renamed & pairable devices in range - my old 'SSID' name disappeared eventually and was replaced with the new custom name. 

Also worth noting - I have other Bluetooth devices (earbuds and a minispeaker) which are NOT APTx compatible - just SBC - and they connect relatively easily. 

The NAD recognizes the QC 35 is out there, it just won't seem to initiate actual pairing (as would be verified with a voice prompt on the QC 35). 

I've posed this issue to NAD as well and will post to this thread if I hear anything. 

Hey Hahsjar,

I appreciate your update and will provide the feedback on this particular Bluetooth device up to the team. 

Please let us know if you hear anything else. 

Thanks again,

Mohsin

Friendly Fanatic

Hi Mohsin,

I'm still looking for assistance on this topic. I understand that the Bose QC 35i is NOT aptX compatible, but it should at least handle the standard/default SBC connectivity.

My NAD D 3045 is able to connect to other SBC- compatible (not aptX-compatible) devices like the Senso ActiveBuds, but NOT to my Bose QC 35i. As a reminder, I can see both devices (Senso and Bose) listed as available devices, but the Bose headphones will not pair even when selected.

Can you provide any explanation why the Bose QC 35i will not connect to this device?

Hello hahsjar,

Thanks for posting. It does appear that there is a incompatibility somewhere in the signal path. I can see that you were going to reach out to NAD. Were they able to shed any light on this topic. We are more than happy to check with our resources here, however that may take some time due to the Holidays. 

Please come back and update us here!

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

Friendly Fanatic

Hi Greg,

I haven't received any helpful response from either Bose or NAD - mainly just finger pointing. As I suggested in the title to this thread, with Bose, the NAD D 3045 *was* initially able to connect to my Bose QC35i (presumably via 'baseline' SCD or whatever other bluetooth encoding/compression/profile/codecs you support), but this capability was lost when I upgraded to the latest 2.5.3 firmware.

My original post on this thread was requesting a way to roll back my firmware version to see if I could recover the features/capabilities that were originally available.But the response I got was not helpful, indicating that Bose had discontinued support of FW rollback. 

It seems that there are two possible points of failure:

1) Somehow, the NAD D 3045 specifically does not support Bose QC 35i headphones. While they DO implement Qualcomm's aptHD codec, they ALSO seem to support legacy/standard bluetooth codecs/profiles.While the D 3045 is a new product and might not have all the kinks worked out, it seems pretty unlikely that they've designed a way to specifically exclude the QC 35 from their compatible device list.

2)Bose, via it's 2.5.3 FW update, has somehow removed some part of standard bluetooth compatibility from the QC 35i. I don't know enough about the bluetooth protocols used to say where the gap is, but my uneducated hunch is that it is somewhere in the 'handshake' between the QC35 and the D 3045. The D 3045 'sees' the Bose headset in range and pairable and lists it, but when instructed to establish a connection and stream audio, it is unable to make the connection.

It would be nice if I could roll back my firmware just to verify that the old FW does work. that would help me isolate the problem. 

I'm not completely happy with the NAD tech support response, but the features offered by the D 3045 are pretty stellar, so I'm on the fence about whether to return this device.

If I do decide to keep the D 3045, then I will have to shift my business away from Bose and find another high-end alternative (probably someone who supports aptX HD).

Just to be clear, I have been a pretty strong proponent of Bose for a while, especially since I first purchased my QC 35. I have often referred to this product with other UX professionals, starting with the kiosk purchase at an airport, as a prime example of a great user experience. I appreciate the timeliness of your responses to this thread, and understand feedback will slow down over the holidays, but I'm looking for Bose to take the high-road here rather than pointing to NAD and stalling for a response from them.

Thank you for your support,