QC 35's On Off Repeatedly and Won't connect to anything

Silent Starter

QC 35's On Off Repeatedly and Won't connect to anything

All of a sudden my headphones won't connect to anything.  If I power on, I get green light on solid, white light starts flashing, and the 3 tone sound associated with starting up.  Then white light goes solid with the sound associated with connecting, then both lights go out and a "tic" sound like the power is going out.  Then it repeats...over and over.  

It's charged up, won't connect to the app to update anything, and I've tried holding power switch to the right for 10 seconds.  

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
Community Manager

Re: QC 35's On Off Repeatedly and Won't connect to anything

Hi JASKJosh,

Thanks for writing in!  I'm sorry to hear about the troubles, but would be happy to help!

Can we try a reset on the headphones to see if this helps to resolve the issue?  Here are the steps:

• Turn off the headset and wait 30 seconds
  • Plug the headset into a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait 5 seconds
  • Unplug the USB cord from the headset and wait 1 minute
  • Turn on the headset

Let us know how it goes!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Audible Advocate

Dear Tony,

I have exaclty the same issue since today (at least I have spotted it today). It came out of the blue - the headphones were not dropped or damaged in any way, also I use them only occasionally once every week/a couple weeks maybe. 

At first they wouldn't turn on at all. After several attempts they turn on and even start connecting to the mobile phone, but then would turn off and turn on again and it would continue. As if power supply would suddenly be cut off. But the battery is 100% charged.

The recommended "reset" approach doesn't seem to help.

Would you happen to know what the issue could be? Seems like a hardware issue rather than software.

I bought them in Japan less than 2 years ago, but live in Germany. So I'm not sure if warranty would work.

But I find it really frustrating that a 300+ EUR product has a lifetime of less than 2 years of occasional use.

Cheers,

Vadims

Silent Starter

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply.  I managed to get it to connect last night long enough to install a firmware update.  I have no idea why it worked that long to accomplish that, but it worked.  I then tried using them while I was messing around in the garage for awhile.  They worked for a bit and then started doing the same thing.

So, I just did the reset procedure as you suggested and they are working like they used to.  If this fix holds, THANK YOU!!  I'll use them for awhile tonight again and if they start acting up, I'll reply again and see what we should do next.

Thanks again!

Highlighted

Hi HAL9000,

Thank you for posting. I am sorry to hear about that. Are you able to get the headphones stable enough to upgrade the software like @JASKJosh tried? If that doesn't work, I would recommend contacting your local support team by using this link. Click on your region, scroll down until you see "Contact Us."

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

Audible Advocate

Hi Tony!

Thanks for the reply and suggestion!

Unfortunately, for me they never turn on for longer than 2 or 3 seconds and that wouldn't be enough to connect or upgrade the firmware. So probably my issue is different.

I will follow your suggestion and try contacting support. Thank you!

Regards

Vocal Volunteer

@HAL9000With all the things going on with on and off elsewhere in this forum, I wonder especially if you have a QC35i and not a QC35ii (but possibly even for that), whether your problem is your on/off switch with contacts that may have been moved as described elsewhere in this forum - you are just seeing a different manifestation versus though who get random "ON"s.   That could be your issue - and not firmware or battery.

Get other opinions here from those familiar with the on/off scenario.

Hi HAL9000,

Thanks for responding. Please come back and let us know how it works out for you.

Regards,

Tony G

Audible Advocate

Hi Tony,

Thanks! I wrote to the support as you suggested. They have so far asked for my serial number. I will let you know once there is a reply/resolution to this.

@joelirwin Yes, you are right, I have QC35 i. Thanks for the hint. I initially checked only the first few pages in the forum and thought that this thread is describing my problem. But it seems it is a bit different. Now I have checked further and found for example this thread, which actually seems to describe the issue I have:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC35-Broken-Power-Switch/m-p/181793#M33542

Although, no follow-up there. 

Also some other threads have issues with the switch, but for some of them are purely mechanical - something broke inside the switch mechanism, which turned out to be poorly made. I didn't notice any difference in how switch feels/works on my headphones, but who knows. If there is no help from Bose, I might disassemble it and check.

Cheers