Highlighted
GW
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

QC 35 - sound has died, PLUS no bluetooth

My QC35 headphones just died (no sound) half way through a song.

What doesn't work:

I can power on and off, the light comes on, but

• no sound from any source,
  • no audio messages " you are connected to... etc",
  • not recognised by app on iPhone or Watch or iMac (so no bluetooth connectivity).

What does work:

• light comes on, and changes coloraturas with charging
  • charges
  • Bose updater recognises headphones from iMac using USB cable and says I have the latest software
  • Noise Cancellation works when I turn the headphones on (street noise goes silent)

What I've tried:

• I've tried the usual turn off, wait, turn on
  • Press the slider for 10 seconds to reset bluetooth
  • All the bluetooth settings (delete connection etc) on all the devices. But the QC35 bluetooth can't be detected.
  • Connecting to Bose Update on iMac (works, but does nothing)

I think I need a hard reset (factory settings?) or a component has blown inside.

Suggestions please! Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GW
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

Re: QC 35 - sound has died, PLUS no bluetooth

Author Accepted Answer selected by GW

Wow, just as I was about to place an order for the new Apple AirPods, out of the corner of my eye I spotted someone posting that they had solved their problem by draining the battery and restarting. Whoever that was THANK YOU - you saved me $300! I tried it and it worked (so far, for 1 hour anyway).

I cannot believe that no-one at Bose support suggested this as a reset solution - instead "turn off, plug in to the wall" instructions which HAVE NEVER worked for me on dozens of bluetooth and crackling bug problems since purchase and apparently resets nothing on my QC35. Bose official support was completely useless - just suggested selling me an old pair for the price of a new pair - what kind of an idiot would fall for that?

Considering one can no longer downgrade firmware and it was the new firmware which may well have bricked my headphones in the first place, it's almost as if Bose are trying to render old devices obsolete. Why not add "drain battery" to official list of troubleshooting solutions? Come on guys you can do better than this.

5 REPLIES 5

Hello GW, 

Many thanks for reaching out via the Bose Community. 

I'm very sorry to hear you are having issues with your QC35 headphones.

Thank you for providing a detailed list of the troubleshooting performed before reaching out. Based on the information, I would kindly suggest reaching out to local support to discuss service options. Details can be found here. 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G - Community Support

GW
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

Thanks Jeff - I've now tried this but they weren't able to help. Just out of warranty so the best they could offer is a new pair at at retail price.

I have now established though that the headphones work through the cable - so sound still works.

And I've started getting a few messages which sometimes cut off half way through "Battery is at sixt…" click. I also got a message just now "connected to Apple Watch" though the watch doesn't actually recognise it. That gives me some hope that this is a problem created by the latest firmware upgrade which I installed just before this all happened. 

Is it not possible to reinstall the old firmware and give that a go? Or go back to factory settings? Thanks

Hello GW, 

Thanks for getting back in touch.

I'm sorry to hear you were unable to achieve a solution by reaching out to local support. 

I can confirm it is not possible to downgrade the firmware of our headphones. You can reset the product by following the instructions below. 

1. Power off your product, then wait 30 seconds
  2. Connect your product to a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait five seconds
  3. Disconnect the USB cable from the headset, then wait one minute
  4. Power on your product.

I hope this helps! 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G 

GW
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

Hi Jeff, no unfortunately that doesn't work, that was the first thing I tried. Shame no longer possible to downgrade firmware. Oh well these have been buggy from Day 1, I guess I should have got them replaced at the time (which I believe you or your colleague suggested at the time!). My fault. These are bricked - time to move on. I think I'll give the new AirPods a try and if those are not good enough I guess it'll have to be Sony, which I have avoided for 20 years because of not dissimilar experiences…. Anyway, thanks for your help over the years, shame the hardware/software wasn't quite up to the task - these could have been a pretty good pair of headphones without the bugs.

GW
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by GW

Wow, just as I was about to place an order for the new Apple AirPods, out of the corner of my eye I spotted someone posting that they had solved their problem by draining the battery and restarting. Whoever that was THANK YOU - you saved me $300! I tried it and it worked (so far, for 1 hour anyway).

I cannot believe that no-one at Bose support suggested this as a reset solution - instead "turn off, plug in to the wall" instructions which HAVE NEVER worked for me on dozens of bluetooth and crackling bug problems since purchase and apparently resets nothing on my QC35. Bose official support was completely useless - just suggested selling me an old pair for the price of a new pair - what kind of an idiot would fall for that?

Considering one can no longer downgrade firmware and it was the new firmware which may well have bricked my headphones in the first place, it's almost as if Bose are trying to render old devices obsolete. Why not add "drain battery" to official list of troubleshooting solutions? Come on guys you can do better than this.