Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 17, 2020

QC2 vs QC35 ii noise cancellation

I've had my QC2 since 2003? Well, as time went on I didn't use them much. So, I dug them out, put batteries in them, and remembered what I loved about them. However, the materials used on the ear cups and head pad were flaking off and very sticky. So, I called up Bose to get them fixed. 

They said they no longer make the head pad and that I'd have to exchange them with an added cost of an upgrade to the QC35 ii. I was blown away that they no longer support their old products, but would charge for an upgrade. This to me is NOT standing behind their products!

My favorite aspect of my QC2 was the noise cancellation. When on, everything, and I mean everything, was quite around me. I'd see people talking to me but not hear a word. Well, I just recieved my new QC35 ii headphones that I had to fight to get the price down on (as well as surrender my QC2 headphones that they said were destined for the shredder). I can literally hear everything going on around me with the cancellation on high. My 1970s koss AAA do a better job of passive cancellation than these QC35II do set on high!! Sound quality is blah. Yes, bluetooth is nice on them, but that's the only upgrade that I got, as everything else about them is a downgrade. Even the case they came in sucks! My QC2 in a tough case, that also came with a velcro bag of accessories that attached to the inside of the case, with adapters and what not. These only came with a cable and dinky charging cord, with no charging plug! Plus no instructions? What's with that?!

Overpriced downgrade. Is this what Bose is doing on all their lines of products? I heard that there's no lifestyle music system any longer like I have on my lifestyle 48iii system. And what's with the micro USB instead of the usb-c?!

Not impressed, not happy, losing a decades old Bose customer here!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: QC2 vs QC35 ii noise cancellation

Without sounding harsh, I wouldn't expect them to provide all the parts on a 17 year old set of headphones.  You can probably still get cushions, but I wouldn't expect much more than that. 

17 years is definitely a good life on any brand of headphones.

I find the noise cancelling can often be deceiving and they seem less effective in the store.  If someone tries them in store, they are listening out for what sounds they can hear and you will hear them.  At home, on a plane or in the office, you are focused on the music/video that you are watching and I find the noise cancelling takes enough away that if you're not focused on the noise, it disappears. Having tried all the Bose QCs from the QC1 to now, I am confident that the 35s cut out more noise than the QC1/2/15s.  However there is always personal opinion.

FYI they still have a Lifestyle 650/600 and in some countries they have a 550

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 17, 2020

Re: QC2 vs QC35 ii noise cancellation

Did you read the part about my KOSS PRO AAA from the 70s? Well, the ear cups got hard and the cord got all funny and stiff. They said to send them in, and in a months time, I got them back full restored, inside and out. And for $35!