Highlighted
Alexander_
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 3, 2017

Re: QC35 Bluetooth Stuttering/Drop-outs

Thanks for tip, not yet, planing to do it this week.

Highlighted
mcoomer
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 8, 2017

Do you happen to have the contact information you used to get in touch with Bose? After updating firmware the connection seemed better but that seems to have been wishful thinking. It seems that if any structure gets between the Bluetooth source and the right ear cup, including turning my head, the audio begins to stutterr and drop. I'm so over these. As they are now I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, which is a shame because the nose cancellation and sound are great.

Mike
Highlighted
maccatori
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 12, 2017

Just via the support page on their site. This was the UK site, but they were very helpful and I got a replacement set within a week.

@mcoomer wrote:
Do you happen to have the contact information you used to get in touch with Bose? After updating firmware the connection seemed better but that seems to have been wishful thinking. It seems that if any structure gets between the Bluetooth source and the right ear cup, including turning my head, the audio begins to stutterr and drop. I'm so over these. As they are now I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, which is a shame because the nose cancellation and sound are great.

Mike

Highlighted
maccatori
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 12, 2017

Just via the support page on their site. This was the UK site, but they were very helpful and I got a replacement set within a week.

Highlighted
aspexin
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

If on Android what seemed to help me on my Pixel XL was to disable GPS Bluetooth scanning

Setting>Location>3 dots (Scanning)>Disable Bluetooth Scanning

After that no more stuttering. Before doing those steps I was able to reproduce the stuttering 100% of the time by shutting off the QC35 waiting a minute or two and then reconnecting. Now so far my first two times no stuttering like I was having before. The only thing to fix it before was to reboot the Pixel XL. I'm keeping fingers crossed this is going to be the solution.

Highlighted
aspexin
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

Well, Google laid down Android v7.1.2 this morning on me. Right after booting I'm good. No stutter. But if I let the Pixel XL sit without the QC35 on for a while and then try to play music the stuttering is back. Or if I turn the QC35 off for a while and back on. So it is clear to me the problem is on the Pixel XL. Something in the Android bluetooth stack is dying over time and playback stutters. 

I'm going to run some music streaming tests in my car later today and see if I can reproduce this problem in the car. If I can it is clearly an Android issue. 

Highlighted
aspexin
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

Forget the car. I have a spare Nexus 6 running Android v7.0. Not getting any stutter problems on it. So it is specific to the Pixel XL. Sigh.

Highlighted
ak
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 10, 2017

After receiving a replacement set of headphones, I can say I've noticed a definite decrease in the amount of stuttering when my iPhone and Mac are both connected. The stuttering hasn't completely disappeared, but it's much more manageable. It appears the rumor about some of the bluetooth chips in the headset having issues may be true. 

From what I can tell the remaining stuttering issue still resides in the headphones attempting to keep both connections in an "active" state. Not being a programmer, I can't say for sure if this is a hardware or software issue. 

Highlighted
Alexander_
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 3, 2017

Ok. First of all, I managed to get it to work with my 12" MacBook.

What I've did:

1. Updated firmware.

2. Unpaired from my iPhone.

3. Unparied from my MacBook.

4. Shut the headset off.

5. Rebooted my MacBook, making sure no other app was running after the boot, especially Skype.

6. Paried with my MacBook and finally got stable connection without dropouts and good sound quality.

7. Paried with my iPhone.

Now I got them working ok.

As soon as I start Skype, that thing forces headset to swtich to comms device and that makes sound quality disaster. It sometimes gets out of that mode, but most of the time have to reboot the headset. Skype is interfering quite badly.

Overall, figers crossed, I can use it without any big hassle. Will keep an eye on it.

aspexin
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

Okay. For any Pixel XL users this may fix the problem.

This may or may not work for you but after searching and searching this did work for me (so far).
I put the following out of battery optimization:
Play Music
Anything with Bluetooth in the name
Google Connectivity Services

In addition to disabling the GPS bluetooth location I mentioned earlier. I have turned the Bose QC35 off/on several times and zero stuttering from anything so far. Hopefully this puts this stuttering issue to bed for me.