pmasl
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 10, 2017

Re: QC35 Bluetooth Stuttering/Drop-outs

Just got the QC35 to replace my old trusted QC15, connected to my Samsung S8 and Surface Book. From either source I'm experiencing a lot of stuttering and second long drop-outs, and using latest updates. I was not expecting this from Bose. It kills the whole experience.

raybies
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2017

I've been trying to return my Bose Quiet Crap 35, or get it replaced.

I bought mine on ebay; emailed the seller, no reply.

Called Bose in Australia, waited over 1hr and 20 mins, on hold.

Contact Bose using the contact form which displayed they'll respond within 72hrs, over 1 week later no response.

I had an issue with HDMI recorder, emailed Banggood (cheap Chinese vendor) product, they sent me a new one within a week; it is a sad day when a budget Chinese supplier has better customer service than a supposedly quality audio equipment manufacturer/seller.

I will never buy another Bose product again, and I will make it my mission to ridicule those that do... we all know how Bose is perceived in audiophile community, now I know why.

I know I just spat out the dummy, but 8 months waiting for a fix is about all the patience I have. Seriously I haven't used the junk for more than 2hrs total, and 1:45hrs was spent trying to get them to work without drop outs, and that excludes all the driver changes I performed.

raybies
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2017

@dovla091 at least you got a response, in Australia you can't call them, and they don't respond to their contact form.

klontje
Participant
Registered since

Jul 3, 2017

I think there are a lot of bad QC35's on the market; I got mine replaced and here are the differences:

HP Elitebook 820:

Old QC35: 2 meters range with lid open and stuttering when I turn my right ear away from the laptop when closed

New QC35: 6-7 meters range with lid open and no more stuttering when lid closed in dockingstation

iPhone 6s:

Old QC35: 1.5 meters range, stuttering when touching the phone in jeanspocket or walking

New QC35: 6-7 meters range and haven't had a single stutter

Conclusion: there are good QC35's out there but Bose really has a Quality Control (QC - pun intended) issue!

hungry.fool
Participant
Registered since

Jul 13, 2017

I have the same stuttering/drop-outs issue with my brand new Bose QC35. I have spent days trying to fix it but nothing work. I didn't expect this experience from Bose product. 

@klontje May I ask what are the Manufactured Dates of your new and old headphone?

Anon412
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 28, 2017

After buying and returning 2 pairs of QC35's due to the stuttering issues, I've been on a long, unsuccessful journey to find something I liked.  I'm currently using a pair of $68 earphones that I don't like but at least they don't have any stuttering issues.

I really wish Bose would acknowledge this problem with their QC35's, take ownership of it, and fix it, because I'd like to buy a pair that actually work.  I haven't found anything else with the same level of comfort, sound and ANC quality, and usefulness of the controls.  However, I can't spend another $349 for something that doesn't work right.  Bose is shooting themselves in the foot by not dealing with this.

Question for other owners:  Have you found any difference in the stuttering problem when pairing with BT 3.x vs 4.1 vs 4.2?  Bose is quoted a few posts back as saying QC35's work better with BT 4.2.  Is that actually the case?

hungry.fool
Participant
Registered since

Jul 13, 2017

@Anon412 I'm using a Nexus 6P with BT 4.2 but still having a stuttering problem with a brand new Bose QC35. The Bose manufactured date is March 28, 2017. Some people mentioned they got a good one after exchanging. I wonder what would be the date for good batch.  

raybies
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2017

@Anon412 wrote:
Have you found any difference in the stuttering problem when pairing with BT 3.x vs 4.1 vs 4.2?  Bose is quoted a few posts back as saying QC35's work better with BT 4.2.  Is that actually the case?

Bose is full of it, don't believe a word they say/print. I only have BT 4.1, 4.2 and 5 with the S8. The QC35 obviously have an antenna design flaw, or there's an issue with the bus/L2CAP.

dovla091
Contributor
Registered since

May 11, 2017

@Anon412 wrote:

After buying and returning 2 pairs of QC35's due to the stuttering issues, I've been on a long, unsuccessful journey to find something I liked.  I'm currently using a pair of $68 earphones that I don't like but at least they don't have any stuttering issues.

I really wish Bose would acknowledge this problem with their QC35's, take ownership of it, and fix it, because I'd like to buy a pair that actually work.  I haven't found anything else with the same level of comfort, sound and ANC quality, and usefulness of the controls.  However, I can't spend another $349 for something that doesn't work right.  Bose is shooting themselves in the foot by not dealing with this.

Question for other owners:  Have you found any difference in the stuttering problem when pairing with BT 3.x vs 4.1 vs 4.2?  Bose is quoted a few posts back as saying QC35's work better with BT 4.2.  Is that actually the case?

I had both 4.2 and 4.1. In both cases same issue. It is bit more present on 4.1 comparing to 4.2, but in still present enough to destroy music experience.

Design flaw is either on chip or too small antenna.

klontje
Participant
Registered since

Jul 3, 2017

@hungry.fool I didn't write down the info of the returned QC35 but my new QC35 has a manufacturing date of April 14th 2017. This one works very well, no stuttering what so ever with this one!