Acrab
Participant
Registered since

Sep 10, 2017

Re: QC35 Bluetooth Stuttering/Drop-outs

Is anybody experiencing mid-range popping only listening to bluetooth? I plug it in and on the same songs it's perfect. I understand that the nature of bluetooth and wireless communication is that you have to compress and then decompress your files for them to be able to communicate and send data, and as such, the nature of bluetooth causes the amplification to noise ratio at certain frequencies and amplitudes to 'pop' because it increases the rate of distortion. I updated my QC35's and they should be fine now. Whenever I turn on ANR it causes the popping to become much, much worse. 

Thanks all!

aloppygiuseppe
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 25, 2017

After a week's perfect use of my new QC35s I found this morning that they wouldn't connect to my MacBook Pro (Touchbar, late 2016) for more than 5 seconds. I read the forums and nothing worked so I called Apple and their solution resolved the problem:

Step 1: Shutdown the mac

Step 2: Hold Shift+Control+Option and then hold down the power button, all for 10 seconds. Nothing visible will happen.

Step 3: Hold Option+Command+P+R and then hold down the power button. Keep holding while you see the display flicker twice (c.20 seconds). Then release and the computer will start up normally.

This process resets NVRAM which has something to do with storing various settings incl audio. As I said, once I followed this process everything worked fine.

mcoomer
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2017

And that's awesome if you're only having trouble with playback from your MacBook Pro.  When you have the same problems with your iPad, iPod, MacBook Pro, and Android then I don't think it's the source that's the problem.  My new headphones, received when Bose offered to replace the first set are better.  Here's hoping that the newly announced QC 35 II has a better bluetooth receiver.

Mike

GurraGurka
Participant
Registered since

Oct 2, 2017

This seems to have worked perfectly for me! Thank you for commenting.

kowcop
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 17, 2017

Does anyone have the QC35II who had the dropout issue with the QC35 and confirm that Bose has corrected the issue?

PaddyMac
Participant
Registered since

Oct 14, 2017

Spent ages faffing about with Terminal based on Mac suggestions, all to no avial, but your top nailed it, thanks so much! 

@GW wrote:

Haven't read all comments, but I had this problem, drove me mad for weeks, tried everything, was going to send my QC35 back, THEN I FIXED IT and it has NOT reoccurred since.

I was paired to iPhone, iMac and MacBook.

My solution (which nobody for some reason seems to know about) was to 

RESET THE BLUETOOTH MODULE on the secret bluetooth menu on your macs. Apparently something had got corrupted over the years.

You can find the "Debug" option by hitting Option Shift then clicking the bluetooth icon on top right of your mac screen.

There you will see "Reset the bluetooth module".

YMMD but if you have stuttering with macs, and haven't tried this, I suggest it's worth trying. I also tried the other things in that menu (remove all devices and factory reset Apple devices) but I think the Reset Bluetooth module did it.

hedphonic
Participant
Registered since

Nov 1, 2017

No, it's the same with the QC35 II. Bose replaced them, but the bluetooth is still dropping out when I turn my head. The range on my Jaybird in-the-ear headphones are even worse, but you'd expect that with a smaller device. The only way to get round it, is to put the phone in your top pocket!

kowcop
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 17, 2017

I have found that carrying a backpack on my back (both shoulders) with a macbook in it makes them stutter-dropout constantly without even turning my head. If I change to one shoulder, it drops out only when turning my head. Are these things using my spine as an antenna or something? The bluetooth in these headphones is terrible. Looks like we will need to wait for QC45. So disappointing for flagship headphones. Why is this thread even marked as solved?

nat-h
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 23, 2017

Maybe it is "solved" in the sense that yes, this is a known issue?  Even the replacement pair I got are similarly bad to the first pair I had but it is worthwhile getting a replacement from BOSE under warranty since some units work a little better than others.

vanjaap
Participant
Registered since

Mar 9, 2017

The solution is to put them back in the box and return them, then buy a make that works with the refund. Definitely fixed my problem.