Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 14, 2016

Re: QC35 Bluetooth Stuttering/Drop-outs

Hi Melissa,

Any fix coming out of that is pure coincidence, and also voids your warranty. Hopefully no one follows this advice, though I apprecite you were trying to help, so thanks.

I haven't reported back for a while, and that's because I wanted to give enough time for an objective review of the situation.

My conclusion is that on the current firmware everything now works as the current Bluetooth protocol will allow. I never had problems with my Apple device and that remains true. My connection to my Yamaha AVR has not faultered on the current firmware, which was my biggest gripe.

My Windows PC is underpowered, so connection drops are in my view expected. I would encourage everyone to verify that their source device is capable of keeping up by pairing with other Bluetooth audio devices so to rule out bloat-ware and insure other resource hogs are not to blame.

Ultimately, Bluetooth is not a perfect protocol for audio, but it is convenient and some of the inherent problems with it remain. However I think the unique bugs of the QC35 are in my case finally ironed out.

My conclusion is, that if you've verified you source device is truly capable of uninterrupted transmission and you're on the current firmware, and yet problems remain, you absolutely must RMA them.

Best of luck and thanks to all who've joined in,

Ben
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 10, 2017

I have paired my QC35 headphones to multiple Macbooks (2011 Macbook Air, 2013 Macbook Pro, 2016 Macbook Pro). All have had stuttering issues.

At times it appears to be caused by an interaction with Google Chome, other times the stuttering goes away when I unpair my iPhone 6, even though they are suppossed to support dual pairing.

I've scoured forums for an answer, but nothing has worked (Terminal commands, unpairing all BT devices from computer, then re-pairing, turning off the built-in Flash player in Chrome...)

You'd think for the money spent Bose would do everything in its power to make a quality product. The lack of customer service I've received after buying these headphones will make me think twice about buying another Bose product. 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi ak,

Thanks for the message. You are correct in the number(2) of devices the headset can be connected simultaneously. Can you verify which bluetooth profile is the headset assigned with when paired on the Macbooks? Let's make sure its A2DP. 

When you have the headset paired with the iPhone only, how do you find the overall experience? It can be difficult with computers because of the several variables that are involved in pairing. We see most users find success in mobiles devices due to the consistency and unified platforms.

Have you double checked with Apple Support? Might be worth checking for a firmware update such as the bluetooth drivers. 

If you find that you are experiencing the issues across multiple mobile devices, we recommend the best thing to do would be to call your local Bose Support for the best available options. You can find contact info here. 

Hope that helps.

Mohsin

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 10, 2017

All firmware and drivers are up to date and the profile is ADP2. The headphones skip regardless of whether I'm on my iPhone or computer. And while "most users find success in mobiles devices due to the consistency and unified platforms", there is no excuse for a company selling $300+ headphones to not be able to provide a better listening experience on a Mac or PC. Millions of people own and use these headphones on computers.

Perhaps Bose should spend less time developing its Music Share functionality and reapply its focus towards fixing the sound issues many of us are experiencing on a daily basis. 

I have contacted Bose multiple times and all I've received is the classic runaround: Contact this person, email this person, call this person. No one has stood up to actually provide real support. 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi ak,

Thanks for that update. We have sent you a DM regarding this.

Mohsin

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

This was a good idea for a solution. My stuttering issue is on my MacBook Pro. I cleared my Bluetooth cache and reconnected my QC 35s. It made no difference at all, though. This is the first day I've used them. No issues on my iPhone 7 Plus, but terrible playback from my MBP.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 13, 2017

Just want to quickly mention that upgrading my iPhone 6s Plus from iOS 10.2.1 to 10.3 seems to have solved my skipping issue.  I'm not sure if this is just a side effect of basically restoring my phone from scratch, but it works great now, at least for the short term.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 22, 2017

@AK wrote:

I have paired my QC35 headphones to multiple Macbooks (2011 Macbook Air, 2013 Macbook Pro, 2016 Macbook Pro). All have had stuttering issues.

At times it appears to be caused by an interaction with Google Chome, other times the stuttering goes away when I unpair my iPhone 6, even though they are suppossed to support dual pairing.

I've scoured forums for an answer, but nothing has worked (Terminal commands, unpairing all BT devices from computer, then re-pairing, turning off the built-in Flash player in Chrome...)

You'd think for the money spent Bose would do everything in its power to make a quality product. The lack of customer service I've received after buying these headphones will make me think twice about buying another Bose product. 

I'm experiencing the same issues, also with a 2016 Macbook Pro, a 2013 Macbook Pro, and an iPhone 7 Plus. Haven't come across any reliable solutions yet, and I've tried unpairing my phone to only have a single device paired. I've also tried resetting CoreAudio in OSX to no avail. The first few weeks of use were pretty smooth, but the last few have been plagued by these stutters and drops unfortunately.

I'm still using the 1.0.6 firmware, and will continue to do so until I hear definitive results from the ANC and sound quality issues being reported from users with upgraded firmware versions. Lately I've been considering giving the Sony MDX-1000 a shot to see if I should just switch over. I went with the QC35 for the legendary ANC, comfort, and the Music Sharing functionality (only available in firmwares I'm not yet able to upgrade to), but if I'm losing out on sound quality and have to stay on an old firmware for fear of losing ANC quality, maybe they're worth the switch.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 3, 2017

Well, I've read up before buying QC35. I knew there are issues, but I thought I'll take my chances, considering i'm in EU. And what do you know, I'm as lucky as all of you are. I got mt pair from Amazon, with 1.0.6 firwmare and I'm not able to even get it to receive sound from MacBook 12" . I've paired them, connected them, chose the default sound output, but no use, dropout 10-15 secs after the successful connection.

And this is a huge dissapointment. Introduction to Bose brand got so wrong, considering these (and other on reddit and elsewhere) threads are up for months without any solutiuon. Now it's not that i'm going to get a refund, I have to pay return costs. Whatta pleasure.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 12, 2017

Did you speak to Bose?

I had issues and my my replacement headphones were great. They paid for the postage and I didn't get direct from them.