klontje
Participant
Registered since

Jul 3, 2017

Re: QC35 Bluetooth Stuttering/Drop-outs

Maybe a good idea to start a google forms submission to gather production dates and if stuttering is present and with what device to analyze what is at fault here.

hungry.fool
Participant
Registered since

Jul 13, 2017

Thanks @klontje. Mine is March 28. I'll try to exchange it. Do you still have a stuttering problem with your phone in the left paint pocket?
klontje
Participant
Registered since

Jul 3, 2017

@hungry.fool wrote:
Thanks @klontje. Mine is March 28. I'll try to exchange it. Do you still have a stuttering problem with your phone in the left paint pocket?

No, I haven't had a single stutter since I unpacked it; I can even leave my phone on the table and walk 6-8 meters away from it before it breaks up. Also wrapping the phone in my hand in my left pocket doesn't give any issues.

Bose does definately have an issue in their manufacturing process; the difference between the previous one and this one is night and day!

brfriedm
Participant
Registered since

Jul 14, 2017

I got a brand new unit from Amazon last week. It has an April 2017 manufacturing date. It stuttered with both my Apple iPod Nano and my Apple iPhone 7 plus. I was surprised that the firmware code on the headphones was very old. I upgraded the code on the headphones to the latest version and made sure both my iPhone and Nano had the latest updates which they did. Once I did the upgrade, the stuttering stopped when I use the iPhone 7 but not the Nano.  I am just going to return the headphones. Too bad. I like them but my iPhone is just too big for working out which I use the Nano for and the stutter obviously makes the headphones unuseable.

powerslave
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 13, 2017

I've noticed the last day or so of playing the 35's that after a few minutes of listening to Spotify or playing music from the iPhone 6,the stuttering/interruptions really start to stop.
It's though it kinda settles down,I've not noticed any skips when I pair up with my iMac,it's only when listening through the iPhone 6.
I'll decide whether to exchange them a bit nearer to my 30 day exchange date.

Ian
klontje
Participant
Registered since

Jul 3, 2017

Sorry guys, the issues are back with my new headset 😞 it worked well for about a week and now the drop-outs are back. Listening to my iPhone yesterday caused some (minor) drop-outs and today with my laptop second long drop-outs every 30-40 seconds...

I am going to return these as well and get my money back. It's a shame because except for this fatal flaw I really like them (comfortable, good ANC and battery). I will try the Sony's I guess to see if they perform better. Sorry Bose but you can't sell a product this bad for the price you're charging for it!

kowcop
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 17, 2017

I created an account because my friend and I bought some headphones (build 15 Mar 2017) and they have the same issue. They came with firmware 1.0.6 and I had the stuttering issue fairly bad. I confirm I have the issue when carrying the phone in my left pocket and turning my head. I was amazed to find people with the exact same (weird) situation. Anyway, I used my iphone Bose App to upgrade the firmware to the latest (1.3.2) and it seems to improve the stuttering but it was still there. 

I read these forums and there were a couple of posts about downgrading firmware. I ran up the Windows Bose updater tool and was surprised to see it said my headphones were still on 1.0.6. I checked the phone Bose app and it definitely said 1.3.2.

I used the Windows update tool to update to 1.3.2 and I havent had a stutter yet. I spent a good 5 mins trying to reproduce it but so far so good.

I posted the same information on Whirlpool forums and another user has confirmed that they had used the Android updater to do the firmware update and the Windows Bose updater says it is still on 1.0.6 too.. Maybe some other people who have used the phone app to update can check theirs too.

Another thing to note is that the iphone app took 90+ mins to do the update where the Windows update app took <5mins.

Perhaps Bose could look to see why their apps are failing the update or what is happening there

kowcop
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 17, 2017

Not sure why my last post hasnt been recorded, but for people who have tried to fix the stuttering problems by using the phone app to update, try the Windows updater app and see what it says your firmware version is.

When I updated from 1.0.6 to 1.3.2 uding the iphone app, it took about 90mins but said it was successful, it even showed as 1.3.2 in the IOS app. After the upgrade I still had the stuttering issue.

I eventually loaded the Windows Bose updater app and it showed I was still on 1.0.6. I did the update in the Windows app which only took 5mins and I now cant reproduce the problem. The stuttering hasnt come back yet. I have checked with other people who even used the Android updater and experienced the same problem after loading the Windows Bose updater... give it a try

klontje
Participant
Registered since

Jul 3, 2017

I updated using the Windows Bose Updater just after I bought it but the problems came back after a week of use.

powerslave
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 13, 2017

I emailed Bose support about the stuttering and they suggested I only connect to one device at a time.
When I was connected to my iMac and IPhone whiles listening i got the dropouts.
If I was connected to just one device it works great,not had one dropout.

Ian