2unlimited
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 24, 2019

Re: QC35 Bluetooth Stuttering/Drop-outs

Hi, I recently purchased Bose QC32 II headphones, in Sweden at some of the official retailer stores. They came out of the box with the latest firmware so I didn't have to do any upgrades.

I noticed that during my walks, every time I turn my head (even slightly) the connection drops for a second or two. It happens every time. This doesn't happen when I'm home, only outside during walks. I don't know if this is a problem with the headphones, or does it have something to do with how low power Bluetooth connection works? 

Hi 2unlimited, 

This is very strange and I'm sorry to hear you have this issue. Can I ask, have you tried disconnecting the Bluetooth connection from the headphones to your device and then re-pairing them to see if this may resolve the issue?

Warm regards

Leon_C - Community Support

BigDC
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 21, 2019

Hello 2unlimited

Leon_C It's hardly "very strange".

This is a thread that's been running for two years, it's a well known issue with these headphones.

I kept mine, they are not perfect but I found a level I could live with. I don't use the Bose Connect app, keep location services turned off and don't use anything that needs BLE.

The sound still drops, but it's for a 10th of a second maybe once an hour, it's maneagable, and if it bugs me I plug the cable in and use them wired.

I stood in John Lewis in Liverpool for an hour one day and compared the Bose QC35ii with the Sony WH-1000XM3 side by side, and in the end I stuck with the Bose.

But "very strange" seriously?

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@BigDCI agree.  But after all this time can we pin down a little more what the environment is.  A dropoff we would probably agree is a break in the Bluetooth communication.  So under what circumstances does that occur?  And what is the environment?  Is it always outside or it makes no difference?  Does it occur with any music playing or does the music have to stream from outside the other device (and if so, wifi, LTE or both)?  What is the other device?  Certain phones or classes of phones or all phones?

I will be personally more sensitive to it myself now, but I can say I almost always listen to music on my iPhone 7+ using the Ecoute music player (all the music is stored on my iPhone).  I have never heard such a skip and sometimes I listen to long amounts of music (30 minutes or more).

BigDC
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 21, 2019

@joelirwin 

I use a Huawei P20 Lite, but have also tried a Nokia 3310 and a HTC M9, with MP3 or MP4 (AAC) played directly from the phone.

It happens no matter where I am, but more so in an open plan office where every laptop has BT enabled and everyone has phones.

It also happens at home, but I have WiFi with extenders.

Listening to music at night, upstairs, it never drops, so I put it down to interference.

Oh, and Dear Bose, I had to click four sets of annoying Captcha images, nearly 16 images in total just to be able to comment on this thread, is that really necessary?

2unlimited
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 24, 2019

@Leon_C Hi, thanks for your reply. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting. Didn't work. As I do my evening walks, I'm listening to the podcast on the original ios podcast app (downloaded, so no internet connection is involved), this happens repeatedly, every time. At the beginning I didn't pay closer attention (because usually when I turn my head it's to make a street crossing, checking for the incoming traffic, so my attention was pointed elsewhere) but eventually it became more obvious. It doesn't bother me too much though, I just found it strange, wanted to find out if there's an explanation 🙂

@BigDC My favorite are the crosswalks, where the crosswalk is spread throughout all 9 fields, the bonus is if you need to click until there aren't any left.. so desire to post must be really strong 🙂 

Hi 2unlimited,

So this might sound like a slightly strange question, but when you're out for your walks do you have the device the headphones are connected to in your pocket or a bag? And if so, would you notice the same drop out, when outside, if you were to hold the device in your hand with a clear line of sight to the headphones?

There is a possibility that an item in your bag/pocket could be causing some interference or even your body itself can, in some circumstances, block a Bluetooth signal between two devices.

Let us know how you get on.

Keith - Community Support - 

BigDC
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 21, 2019

@2unlimited, Maybe walk around holding your phone up and facing you in your right hand at head height.

Maybe cut out the middle man, and just play the music on the phone speaker, held next to your ear.

Because bluetooth can't handle cotton. Fact.

smbeaudry
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 14, 2019

TO ANYONE WHO HAS THIS ISSUE; I also has intermittent disconnections on WIndows 10 and an iPhone X on 2018/03/14, tried

- renaming the device

- rebooting both devices

- updating bluetooth drivers

- forgetting the device the re-adding

What fixed the issue for me is doing an update using the bose software update tool on my PC, which can be accessed here . Apparently the app for iOS and Android *can* corrupt the firmware on you headphones which causes issues. After the update, I get zero hickups and glitches like I used to!

BigDC
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 21, 2019

I've also found that m4a files seem to skip far less than mp3.

I have a mixture of both, some copied and some converted from iTunes for my car which only plays mp3, so I didn't notice the corrolation before.

m4a seems to be the way to go.