Jk1955
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 19, 2019

Re: QC35 Bluetooth Stuttering/Drop-outs

Hi

I have a pair of QC headphones which I love and the sound is brilliant......that was until I updated to the latest firmware a few weeks ago (May 2019) when they started to stutter after the install.

I have tried all the usual ideas put forward by others with this problem but none work. I have now changed over to a cheap Bluetooth headset (not Bose) which have a poor quality though they give me the pleasure of at least uninterrupted sound on my Sony Walkman and Galaxy Tab S4 Tablet.

I point the source of the problem directly with the Bose firmware at it started immediately  the firmware was installed. 

I would like to know if there is anyway to roll back or uninstall this firmware so I can start using my headphones again. Having looked at all the comments on the internet this seems to be a common issue with firmware updates by Bose. 

I trust and hope that Bose will address  this issue for all those like me, before we look elsewhere for top range headphones next time.

Hello Jk1955, 

Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community.

I am so sorry that your first post is of a negative issue and would love to try and help you to resolve this. 

To start with I would recommend trying all of the troubleshooting steps mentioned by other moderators in previous posts in this thread as they can help to resolve this issue. 

If after you have completed these you are still having issues please can you let me know and we can look to finding another solution. 

It would be helpful to know: 

• What audio streams you are listening to? 
  • Are you running on the latest firmware for your phone? 

I look forward to your response. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

alexksso
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 17, 2019

What I found out is that the gaps / clicks only open when the headset is paired with multiple devices.

Hi Alexksson, 

Thank you for your post! 

I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this issue. I can understand how frustrating this must be. 

The information you have provided has been most helpful. 

Would you be able to confirm the firmware version you are running on your headphones? 

Which devices have you tried? Can you confirm how it is you came to this conclusion? 

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

Jk1955
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 19, 2019

Hi Vicky

I am trying to stay connected to both my Sony Walkman and Samsung Tab S4 Tablet.

My QC headset worked perfecctly with both unti I upgraded to 2.5.5 Firmware that was when things started to breakup with the bluetooth. It is

constant intermittent sound and even after doing a few ideas posted by others none of it works.the only way I can enjoy the headphones now

without listerning to broken sound is via jack connection, which is crazy for such a product. Iwould love to be able to go ack to myprevious Firmware

before the problem started.

Regards

John

Hi John, 

Thank you for coming back to us!

I can understand your frustration regarding this issue. I'll do all I can to assist you! 

Would you be able to confirm if you get the same as @alexksso above? It will give us a better idea of where the issue may be. 

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O

Encubed
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

I have a problem with the Bluetooth connectivity that seems to have been reported in multiple places, for many months now (years?). Bought two QC35 iis a week ago for my wife and I (one black, one silver), have tried them with multiple devices (pixel 2 and pixel 3 phones, Samsung Tab S5e tablet, and my Lenovo laptop). When my phone is in my pocket, I get the sound intermittently dropping out (once every 10-20 seconds or so, for a duration of about a second at a time). The frequency and duration increases if my hand is in my pocket with the phone. If, on the other hand, I place my hand over the right cup, the sound cuts out completely. I don't get these issues if I'm walking with the phone in my hand, but I shouldn't have to do that with a CAD$450 set of headphones.

I have updated the firmware (on both headphones, the tablet, and our phones), have also reset the bluetooth connection, removing two devices and then pairing with just one, and tried resetting the headphones (detailed a few posts above). I have also tested with our phones both at home in our downtown Toronto condo (detailing the type of space in case it matters - we are not encased in stone like one of the previous users), and on the street. Nothing seems to fix the issue. This happens with BOTH headphones - I'm convinced this is either a global problem or is a very high rate defect. I suspect (as have others in this thread) that it's a weak bluetooth connection within the headphones themselves, as I don't experience this problem with cheaper bluetooth headphones such as my Edifier W800BT or my AKG Y500. 

Is there an actual fix? I'm within warranty and can get them replaced either through Bose or Amazon, but since both headphones have these issues I'm not convinced a replacement would perform better. I'm leaning towards returning them, getting a refund, and looking for a different headphone. Really sad about it since I can't seem to find an alternative wireless pair with a similar combination of comfort/noise cancellation/sound quality at a similar or lower price point, and it sounds like the NC700s are not that comfortable, but I guess I'll have to do some more research.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@EncubedThese are my personal opinions with all due respect to Bose (I do not work for them):

1. I am not sure which Qc35 you have.  There are actually three (believe it) verisons: QC 35i, QC35ii (AE serial number) and QC35ii (AZ serial number).  I have the AE model and have had it for about 8 months.  I have used it flawlessly  with my iPhone 7+, and two Dell Windows 6/54 machines (Precision desktop and Precision laptop).  So from a troubleshooting perspective and it won't make you feel any better 🙂 , it could have something to do with the devices on the other side communicating with your QC35ii.

2. Bose may ask you to do troubleshooting with other devices on either end, but the bottom line is that may help Bose understand better why you have having your problem but it will not make your problem go away.

3. Bose is not one of the vendors that can provide you with a customized fix.  The only thing they can do is have you change your settings in the Bose Connect app (which probably has nothing to do with your problem), have you change settings on the other side in the phone, tablet or laptop (which I personally can't see as having any impact), or have you upgraded the QC35 to the latest firmware (which is may already be on - you can't go backwards on firmware, only go to the latest).

4. Bose updates the firmware infrequently (perhaps 2 or 3 times a year), and really doesn't let us know (like Apple does with IOS upgrades) what the changes are.  So you can wait for a future upgrade but the odds of it fixing your issue especially since it impacts so many devices on the other end (as you stated) is low.

Given the above, I would find out if there is something you have missed such as perhaps another factory reset of the headphones and removal of any mention of the QC35ii in ALL your devices before starting over again.  Also determine if the problem is specific to a particular type of playing - for example your music always streams from services like Spotify and Youtube (versus also having the problem by playing music directly offf your device without the Internet.

But the bottom line for you seems like after you final attempts, I would not wait for Bose for anything in the future.  If it were me, I would return them and use something that worked for you.

Lavamantis
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 2, 2018

Ultimately I believe this is a hardware flaw with the BT unit inside Bose headphones.  Some may say doing certain things can help, but I'm skeptical. It's kind of a shame, since no other BT device I own does this, even my $19 earphones.  You'd think someone inside the company would just say, yeah, going with that one cheapo supplier was a mistake, let's acknowledge it and try a new supplier.

For me, the sound quality is worth just living with the issue.  It's disappointing for sure, but after a week or so of listening, your brain somehow filters it out and you rarely notice it happening anymore.

Hope this helps. 

LM

Steven J
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jun 29, 2019

Seem to have found an answer to my problem. I turned off the alexia on the iPhone and all has been well since.