Highlighted
aspexin
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

Re: QC35 Bluetooth Stuttering/Drop-outs

It did not fix the issue. I turned the QC 35 off and went to make lunch. Came back 30 mins later turned on the QC35 and started the music up and stuttering recurred. However, simply turning bluetooth off and then back on again on the Pixel XL recovered. Did not need to reboot it. Well, at least I can do just that now. 

@aspexin wrote:

Okay. For any Pixel XL users this may fix the problem.

This may or may not work for you but after searching and searching this did work for me (so far).
I put the following out of battery optimization:
Play Music
Anything with Bluetooth in the name
Google Connectivity Services

In addition to disabling the GPS bluetooth location I mentioned earlier. I have turned the Bose QC35 off/on several times and zero stuttering from anything so far. Hopefully this puts this stuttering issue to bed for me.

Highlighted
aspexin
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

I have now also disabled WiFi location scanning along with Bluetooth. Hoping this works.

@aspexin wrote:

It did not fix the issue. I turned the QC 35 off and went to make lunch. Came back 30 mins later turned on the QC35 and started the music up and stuttering recurred. However, simply turning bluetooth off and then back on again on the Pixel XL recovered. Did not need to reboot it. Well, at least I can do just that now. 

@aspexin wrote:

Okay. For any Pixel XL users this may fix the problem.

This may or may not work for you but after searching and searching this did work for me (so far).
I put the following out of battery optimization:
Play Music
Anything with Bluetooth in the name
Google Connectivity Services

In addition to disabling the GPS bluetooth location I mentioned earlier. I have turned the Bose QC35 off/on several times and zero stuttering from anything so far. Hopefully this puts this stuttering issue to bed for me.

Highlighted
aspexin
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

So none of those things work. But here is a set of steps that seems to get the stuttering to go away on the Pixel XL and Android v7.1.2

1. Turn on QC35 let connect to Pixel XL via Bluetooth

2. Goto Pixel XL Settings -> Bluetooth -> turn off

3. Wait 10 seconds

4. Turn the Pixel XL Bluetooth back on

When you hear the QC35 say connected you can now play music without stuttering. And lots of folks on the google Pixel product forums having the same stuttering problem so this is very pervasive. 

Highlighted
GLH
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 20, 2017

So...my qc35 headset cuts out when I start playing music and when I skip songs from my iPad or iPhone. It happens at the beginning of the song. And it also has random cut-outs every 4-5 songs. Currently on 1.2.10, going back to 1.0.6 caused terrible stuttering. To make things worse, the noise cancellation is worse after getting 1.2.10 firmware. Did anyone find the solution for the cutouts? The NC is a whole different story. Thanks.

Highlighted
KCZ
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 28, 2017

I bought these last summer and I loved them.  They were comfortable, and they had good sound quality, NC, and intuitive controls.  They worked great for ~6 months, then they started to have the same issues with stuttering and dropouts that everyone else is reporting here.  I was using them mostly for late night television.  I hadn't done anything different with the television, and before all was said and done, I had tried 4 different pairs of headphones with that television and none had this issue, so I'm certain this was a QC35 problem.  I hadn't done any firmware updates or anything else to them.  When this started, I had my right arm in a cast, and I noticed that whenever I reached around with my left arm to the right earpiece, the stuttering and dropouts would start.  Also the right earpiece would frequently become hot.

Because I really loved the headphones, I exchanged them for a new pair.  This second pair had the stuttering and dropout problem right out of the box.  At this point, I did some online research and found that a lot of people had this issue, and I came across the claim that the BT control in the right earpiece was faulty and would short circuit.  IDK.  I had to return these too.

Since then, I've tried 2 cheap pairs of BT headphones, as well as the Momentum 2.0, PXC 550, and Sony MDR1000.  I hated them all.  The sound was not good, or they were uncomfortable and hot, or the controls were unnecessarily complicated.

Bose, I want you to take ownership of this problem, identify it, and fix it.  Don't leave us in the dark.  I would buy another pair of these in a heartbeat if I knew this problem had been fixed.

Highlighted
PopsickleStick
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 28, 2017

This is happening to me too with my MacBook Pro. Brand new headphones, too. Has anyone come to any final conclusion on this?

Highlighted
mobruu
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 2, 2017

I experienced the same problem today, after my headphones had been working flawless for 2 months. I undocked my computer and took it away, leaving my headphones on. When I got back to my desk and tried to play music, there was no sound at all. I turned the headphones off and on again. Still no sound at all. In the bluetooth meny they were connected.

I managed to get them reconnected, but then the stuttering started - 4-5 times a minute. Making it next-to-impossible to listen to music. 

Tried unpairing, repairing, rebooting clearing - nothing worked.

The final thing I did was uninstalling everything in my bluetooth list from device manager, clearing the device list on my headphones, rebooted computer and then re-paired the headphones. Haven't had a single dropout the last hour.

QC35 headphones, latest driver

Lenovo X1 Yoga laptop

Highlighted
Leigh
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 4, 2017

I'll add my voice to the issue.

It only happens with the iMac (OS10.11) not on devices. I rarely shut the computer off. Of course, rebooting fixes the issue but stopping activity because of this issue is inconvenient.

The stutter seems to take a couple of days to develop. It'll be fine for maybe three days before the stutter starts.

The cause of the stutter comes from the iMac's CPU taken a huge hit. The cursor takes time to react like everything else that's running in memory until I use the keyboard to pause iTunes. That stops the stutter immediately. Pressing iTunes play key immediately starts the stutter again.

My best fix is to have a USB handy. I use it to turn Bluetooth off and back on. Issue is gone.

What's the real cause? Apple's bluetooth? Bose's bluetooth? An iTunes issue? I should update the Mac's OS?

That issue aside, I really like these cans. Nice fit. Surrounding noices eliminated. Excellent audio (at least to my old ears after 35 years of wearing cans in broadcasting). The Q35s easily pair with all my devices and the LG TV.

Highlighted
GLH
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 20, 2017

So I want to be fair and write this update. My QC35s are still cutting out briefly from time to time, specially at the beginning of songs, when I just start using apple music or if I change songs on my ipad or iphone. However.....I paired the headphones today with my almost 4-year-old Toshiba laptop, where I also use apple music. And with this set-up, no cutouts, no stuttering, no drop-outs, nothing!!!! It works perfect! So all this time, maybe the cause of the drop-outs were my IOS devices (iphone and ipad)???? But my iphone bluetooth works flawlessly in my car (for years now), so honestly I don't understand anymore. Maybe certain devices work well together and others don't? I am using the latest IOS in both iphone and ipad. Windows 10 home in my indestructible Toshiba laptop. Any ideas to figure this out will be very welcome.

Highlighted
GLH
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 20, 2017

By the way, the dropouts on the IOS devices happen whether or not I am next to the device or far away. And the very stable connection with my laptop remains stable whether I am in front of it or far away.