Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

QC35 Crackling in right ear

A crackling or rustling or static, noticeably irritating for the first time today, has started in right ear. 

I can hear it especially when NOT listening to music or connected to a device.

It starts quietly but then can build. It can also drop off to almost non-existent when I completely stop moving. Then once it starts it keeps going like it's building on itself.

It stops when Noise Cancelling is turned OFF.

It is present when Noise Cancelling is on low or high.

It sounds almost like the earphone is moving against my ear or amplifying tiny movements like my pulse etc.

Once I notice the rustling I can then hear it behind music being played as well.

It is only in the right ear, left ear completely normal (silent).

I tried turning off headphones, waiting 30 sec, plugging into USB 5 sec, waiting 1 min, restarted, disconnected all bluetooth devices. No discernible difference.

I upgraded to latest firmware a week or so ago and that may have been a factor. Have also been other problems since upgrading, like lack of connectivity or beeping sound which generally resolve themselves. For example if I can't get my Watch to be audible, I ask Siri to play music, which then does play something (difficult to know where from), then I can switch to whatever I want to listen to on my Watch.

Any help appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

Re: QC35 Crackling in right ear

Author Accepted Answer selected by GW
OK yet again I appear to have found a solution! I post here to help others.

Deleted app on phone and made sure all bluetooth connections on various devices were deleted as well - involves going into bluetooth settings on iMac and deleting there - not just disconnecting in Bose app or on main screen of iMac. Also reset Bluetooth connection on iMac for good measure. Deleted connection from phone and watch. Reinstalled Bose app from App Store. First connected iMac - this time NO CRACKLE! then connected phone, then (not easy) connected watch - had to go into watch bluetooth settings to get the Bose app to accept it. Now ten mins later no crackle at all. Fingers crossed.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by GW
OK yet again I appear to have found a solution! I post here to help others.

Deleted app on phone and made sure all bluetooth connections on various devices were deleted as well - involves going into bluetooth settings on iMac and deleting there - not just disconnecting in Bose app or on main screen of iMac. Also reset Bluetooth connection on iMac for good measure. Deleted connection from phone and watch. Reinstalled Bose app from App Store. First connected iMac - this time NO CRACKLE! then connected phone, then (not easy) connected watch - had to go into watch bluetooth settings to get the Bose app to accept it. Now ten mins later no crackle at all. Fingers crossed.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 15, 2019

I saw someone had a solution by deleting and reinstalling the app on everything and it was good.  Is it still good? 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 2, 2020

No, this is hardware fault. 

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2020

Did anyone find a solution for this? My headphones just now succumbed to this and it's unbearable.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 23, 2020

This just started happening to mine as well. Interesting almost days after my one year warranty is up. Nothing I do to troubleshoot works. I wish Bose would offer a resolution, as I’ve barely had this a year and invested thinking it’d last longer. 

Highlighted

Hi All,

Thanks for posting and contributing to the discussion!

If you are having this problem and the troubleshooting already suggested in this thread has not done the trick for you then I would recommend getting in touch with your local support team, as they will be able to help you resolve this issue, even if you do think you may be outside of your warranty period. You can find the contact information at this link, by selecting your country/region and then the 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page.

I hope this helps! Let me know how you all get on.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 17, 2020

Thanks for the info- I did what you said- deleted the app etc. and also followed the steps from another site - 

https://www.androidauthority.com/bose-quietcomfort-35-ii-anc-firmware-1010335/?fbclid=IwAR1Yka8wCKXQ...

scroll down and there are a few steps to follow but my headphones are now working. There is still a very very slight crackle but I really had to listen for it.

hope this helps others with this problem

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 20, 2020

I had a similar problem. It crept in on one side only periodically a year ago. Then it crept into the other side and eventually it starting happening more often. Never did a firmware upgrade. It clearly is a hardware malfunction. One guy who posted to this forum did some research and found that with time, expanding the width of the headset stretches the accordion cable in the head band that joins both sides and eventually this will cause wear on the cable and cause intermittent shorts.

Another thing I found is that eventually the ear paddings wear down and become slightly unsealed around the edges that keep them in place. If this happens, a tiny amount of leakage sound can escape the earmuffs and cause feedback problems with the ANC system. If you replace the earmuffs, make sure that they are firmly sealed.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 17, 2020

Just an update- worked ok for 1 day and then the crackling came back so back to square one!