Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2019

QC35 Doesn't turn on anymore

Hi there,

I've had a pair of Bose QuietComfort 35's since early 2017, and really enjoyed them for the full two years. They've been working with absolutely no problems until today when I tried to turn them on as usual. I placed them over my ears and slid the power slider to the center position, the noise cancellation did not kick in, and there was no voice telling me the battery level. The usual light signalling that the headphones are on is unlit. When I connect it to the charging cable, the orange light blinks to show charging as usual. However the orange light never turns green, and no matter how long I leave it charging (tried for over 2 hours), it will not turn on anymore. 

I hope that someone can let me know if this is a fixable problem, or if there is nothing that can be done.

Thanks and I appreciate your reply!

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: QC35 Doesn't turn on anymore

Hello @FB12 ,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

I'm sorry to hear that you've started encountering issues with your QC35 headphones and would be more than happy to look into this for you!

With regards to your charging issue, have you tried using another cable or power outlet? I know it's a basic step and the system looks like it's charging, but please do check, as I've known this to be the case before!

Failing that, can I ask that you get in touch with us privately, or get in touch with your local contact centre? You can do so by selecting the following link, selecting your country/region, and then navigating to "Contact Us" from the bottom of the page.

Contact Us

I hope this helps!

Liam

Community Support

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 8, 2019

Hi, I have a similar issue with my QC35i, which suddenly became a brick one day.

I used mine occasionally - mostly during flights and they worked fine for 2 years. Then about a month ago, they didn't turn on. I have tried looking online, on the forums, tried the "reset procedure". Sometimes, immediately after charging they would be able to turn on for a second or two - just enough for the voice to kick in and then turn off immediately. After updating the firmware, they worked for 10 minutes then died again. Battery went to 20, then 10 percent instantly. Nothing ultimately helped.
First (before updating the firmware) I thought the problem was with the switch like many other users have complained on this forum in some threads, so I have checked that solution, but it obviously was not that. It looks to me like an issue with the battery, but I'm not sure. Now it won't turn on at all. I have used my QC35 not more often than once a month, which obviously should not be enough for the battery to just die by itself, since there were probably around 10 recharge cycles overall.
I have tried talking to the local Bose support for a long time, which was a pretty much useless exchange, because they offer no help whatsoever, only a "replacement" for the full price. Battery is also not replaceable, so I'm stuck.

@FB12 you might have a similar problem. Did you in the end come up with any solution to this?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 9, 2019

did you guys solve this problem?

Highlighted

Hi Sambha87, 

Thanks for posting. Have you attempted all troubleshooting methods that are suggested in this thread? 

Thanks, 

Hector B 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@FB12 @HAL9000 

Hey guys, I just thought of this possibility and perhaps you may want to consider it as a 'cause'.  You know of course about our well known problem here for the QC35i where the symptoms are that you turn off the QC35i and it keeps turning itself back on?  Many users have shown here 'beyond a reasonable doubt' that the problem/symptom is due to the shifting of the contacts in the on/off switch.  Bose has not yet definitively agreed with those conclusions.

And yet, let us consider a 'corrolary'..... suppose the contacts shifted sufficiently that they no longer make any contact or are barely touching - that could explain what both of you are experiencing.  So if either or both of you are DIY'ers, and are willing to take the 'risk' - go follow the instructions in that 65+ screen post that explains with words and pictures how to reposition the contacts.

What do you think?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 8, 2019

Hi Joel,

I think my issue is a dead battery or something like that, which is impossible to fix without breaking up your headphones. Moreover, there are no battery replacements available even if you do, unless you want to risk some exploding third-party battery next to your ear. I have tried communicating this to Bose support and even their Twitter. Support hasn't even replied to my latest e-mail. I am probably just going to buy Sony headphones for my next trip and post about my appalling experience with Bose on social networks when I do. My Bose headphones had a lifetime of probably 100-200 hours.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 30, 2020

Quiet comfort 35 won’t turn on. 

Country UK (headphones around 3-4 years old)

My headphones were left outside over night (in damp but not wet conditions) and now won’t switch on; the charging light comes on when plugged into power supply.

Can these be repaired?

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey Calum,

Thanks for your message and welcome to the Community. Sorry to hear about your incident. Regrettably, the QC35 headphones are not water-resistant and may have experienced damage during the night. 

Within the UK, headphones are not repaired but instead replaced. You can visit your local region's support page HERE to explore the available service options to your headset. Please get back to us if you have any further questions.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!