Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulB22
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 7, 2021

QC35 II Functionality

Hello. I am considering buying my wife a pair of QC35 II headphones but I need to confirm that she will be able to use them on a plane as this will be their main use. My questions are:-

1. Can you connect the to the inflight headphone jacks using the BOSE supplied charging cable?

2. If you can connect by cable does the ANC function still work properly?

3. I am given to understand that some airlines will allow you to connect wirelessly to their inflight entertainment, does this require a separate adaptor?

4. Is there anything else I should be aware of using the QC35's on a plane.

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_G

Re: QC35 II Functionality

Author Accepted Answer selected by PaulB22

Hey Paul! 

Happy to answer your questions. 

1. No, you cannot use the charging cable for audio. There is an included audio cable which lets you make a wired connection to non-Bluetooth devices, however. Please check with the airline regarding IFE (in-flight entertainment) connections. You may need an airline adapter (not included.)

2. ANC will still work when an audio cable is connected. While connected, you cannot change between ANC strength. We recommend changing it before plugging the cable in. All Bluetooth communication is disabled when the cable is connected.

3. Please refer to the airline regarding wireless connectivity. If they support Bluetooth streaming, no adapters will be required. Most airlines limit the use of wireless devices on-board, so it's likely a wired connection will be preferred. 

4. There's nothing specific I can suggest regarding this. They're a fantastic product to have in this type of scenario!

I hope this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Jeff_G

Author Accepted Answer selected by PaulB22

Hey Paul! 

Happy to answer your questions. 

1. No, you cannot use the charging cable for audio. There is an included audio cable which lets you make a wired connection to non-Bluetooth devices, however. Please check with the airline regarding IFE (in-flight entertainment) connections. You may need an airline adapter (not included.)

2. ANC will still work when an audio cable is connected. While connected, you cannot change between ANC strength. We recommend changing it before plugging the cable in. All Bluetooth communication is disabled when the cable is connected.

3. Please refer to the airline regarding wireless connectivity. If they support Bluetooth streaming, no adapters will be required. Most airlines limit the use of wireless devices on-board, so it's likely a wired connection will be preferred. 

4. There's nothing specific I can suggest regarding this. They're a fantastic product to have in this type of scenario!

I hope this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Just a little further on point 3:

Connecting to the in flight entertainment wirelessly is normally talking about your phone/tablet connecting over wifi and using an app from the airline (most likely domestic/short distance flights).  Your phone/tablet would then connect by BT to your headset. 

I haven't heard of any on board intertainment (Like a screen built into the headrest) that you can connect to BT headsets yet (I could be mistaken, but I don't think so).  So if it's their built-in screen you would use the wire connection.

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@PaulB22(I do not work for Bose)

Let me chime in as well to look at it slightly differently.  I have flown many times (mostly United) with my QC35 (though not since Covid 🙂 ).  When I want to watch a film playing on the back of the seat in front of me, I plug into the 3.5mm female stereo mini-plug supplied by the airline either in the arm on one side of the seat or on the display on the back of the seat in front of me.  I use the Bose supplied 2.5mm to 3.5mm male cable to connect the two.  If I do not turn on the QC35, I don't get ANC (and it will still work), but on a plane I almost always turn on the ANC.

Now here are two things to consider in the above situation:

1. I have found that the Bose supplied cable has been in too short for many of my usage situations.  So I have gone to Amazon and purchase a slightly more rugged and longer (10 feet) 2.5mm-3.5mm male-male cable for about $8.  I got it on Amazon, but I am sure they are dozens if not more other options on both Amazon and eBay.  Another option I have done in the past was to purchase a 3.5mm female to male extension but a single cable solutions is something I rather preferred.

This is what I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HR6LQ5W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. If you want to watch entertainment wirelessly, you need to purchase something that will plug into the airline 3.5mm female mini-plug that will transmit wirelessly to your QC35.  For planes, you want a battery operated one.  For your home (say a TV or receiver without Bluetooth), you want one that plugs in.  Againa - gazillions of options on eBay and Amazon - just do a search for "plane bluetooth".  Here an example of a match from Amazon.  Many of these devices will transmit to two wireless devices at the same time.  Airfly below is an example of a $30 solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Twelve-South-AirFly-Bluetooth-Transmitter/dp/B07CB24GSV/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&k...

PaulB22
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 7, 2021

Hi Jeff Thanks for your reply.

I have finally had a reply from BOSE support via a WhatsApp (which I instigated 3 days ago, hence the community post) They tell me that ANC only works when the QC35 II are connected via Bluetooth and not via cable. They recommend their Aviation headphones !! but they are for Pilots aren't they? I was extremely happy with your reply until BOSE replied, sorry to query this but are you 100% sure ANC works via cable as I don't want to purchase the phones and then find they are useless on a Plane.

PaulB22
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 7, 2021

Hi Joelirwin thanks for your reply. Are your headphones QC35 or QC35 II ?

Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

ANC works with 3.5mm cable as long as it battery and is turned on, you just can't adjust it (hi/low/off).  If it is powered off you can still get passive sound (no ANC, no equaliser) through the 3.5mm cable.  If it is charging you will get no sound.

I can only assume they were talking about having the USB connected which was the first part of your question.

I have used the QC15, QC20, QC25, QC35, QC35II, and NC700s all on planes plugged in by the 3.5mm aux cable supplied with the headsets (sometimes needing the airline adapter).

FYI the A20 are only for pilots.  They have a different type of noise cancelling that suits the cockpit better among other features.

PaulB22
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 7, 2021

Thanks everybody for your replies, The consensus is as you all say ANC works via cable but you cannot vary it. That is not a problem for us so my wife will soon be the proud owner of a pair of QC35 II headphones.  I guess BOSE's position is that if ANC doesn't work as designed via cable then it doesn't work full stop, although I would have thought they could just caveat the ANC when using cable. Any way many thanks to you all. 

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@PaulB22 

1. > They tell me that ANC only works when the QC35 II are connected via Bluetooth and not via cable.

Not true.  I am wearing a QC35ii right now with a wire to a mini plug and I can turn it on and ANC kicks in.

2. My comments above apply to QC35i and QC35ii (I believe)