Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 28, 2020

QC35 II: How to stop hearing my own mic on bluetooth?

I have searched and read the archived threads that are similar to this issue and have not found any rectification that works. 

Bottom line - I'm hearing myself speak (and breathe!) and type whenever I'm on a call, despite having noise-cancelling on, but only when I'm connected via bluetooth.

Situation 1: connected to computer via cable. No call.

Outcome: noise cancelling perfect, cannot hear typing, etc

Situation 2: connected to computer via cable. Call active (microphone on).

Outcome: noise cancelling perfect, cannot hear typing, etc

Situation 3: connected to computer via Bluetooth. No call.

Outcome: noise cancelling perfect, cannot hear typing, etc.

Situation 4: connected to computer via Bluetooth. Call active (microphone on or muted).

Outcome: noise cancelling unknown, but my typing, breathing, all come through loud and clear.

Windows 10 device. I've checked settings for Sound and ensured that "Listen to this device" is turned off, and I've tried turning Headset Levels to 0, to 100, to disabled. Nothing works.

Note that I also have a Microsoft Surface headset that I can connect to the same machine via bluetooth and with noise cancelling functionality active and I do not have the same experience. Ditto for my MPOW bluetooth/noise cancelling headset. It is only the QC35.

I accept that this MAY not be a Bose headphone issue but given the situation only occurs with this headset and not with any other headset, I cannot for the life of me figure out what else it possibly could be.

I am ready to return these as it is reducing my ability to use them as my main headset to basically zero when I cannot hold a normal conversation with others.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: QC35 II: How to stop hearing my own mic on bluetooth?

@mrandypuppyI do not work for Bose but what I have read here says what you probably don't want to hear.  For the stereo streaming profile, A2DS, you get one type of ANC which you have described as something that works for you.  However, for the hands free profile (HFP) known also as voice over over IP (VOIP) which is used for phone calls, Zoom, Whatsapp, Skype, etc., the ANC is changed and the mic is used as part of a 'sidetone' for you to hear yourself better.   So what I read says what you are describing is 'expected behavior' and that Bose has no plans to change it and there is no way for you to do it either (as everything you do is limited to control via the Bose Connect app which provides no way to control the mic or ANC).

Now from a laptop or desktop, you probably don't have any way to change ANC, but depending on the application, you may be able to reassign the QC35 microphone back to the microphone on your desktop/laptop (assuming it has one).   Worth a try, but again as far as I know nothing that you can change with the QC35.

And also keep in mind that Bose last updated the firmware on the QC35 in June, 2019 and so there may not be any changes any time soon and if and when they come (again, I don't work for Bose), they will likely be bug fixes and this is not a bug - it is a functional change, which makes it less 'likely'.