Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wombler
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 25, 2021

QC35 II audio crackling / cutting out completely on right side

Hi all, I’ve been having problems with the right-hand speaker of my QC35 II headphones, it makes a nasty crackling noise and disconnects intermittently on Bluetooth and cable, most of the time there’s no sound at all.  Bose’s customer service is no help at all, they suggested switching it on and off (it’s clearly a hardware issue) or buying another set if that doesn’t work (since it’s out of warranty).

It’s the second pair I’ve had and the second time they’ve failed the wrong side of the warranty so I was wondering if anyone has successfully repaired this fault?  I’ve removed the panels on both sides and there doesn’t seem to be any loose soldering or anything obvious, is there an accessible cable which runs between the two speakers? There’s a guide on iFixit but it doesn’t go into enough detail.

I’m willing to tear it apart if necessary, I love the headphones but can’t afford to keep replacing them every year or two so am going to give the Sony Wh1000xm4s a try, hopefully they’re a bit sturdier.  I’ve bought Bose speakers and headphones almost exclusively for 15+ years but the quality of their products has really nose-dived the past few years (and their customer service, which used to be amazing), it’s a shame.

1 REPLY 1
Wombler
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 25, 2021

Re: QC35 II audio crackling / cutting out completely on right side

Quick update, I found that one of the tiny plastic clips keeping the pads in place had snapped which might explain the crackling sound but don’t think it’s related to the audio cutting out completely.

Bose claimed to offer a discount on a replacement but it’s only a discount because they lie about the original price, pretending they are reduced from £299 to £209 when in fact the original price is £249.  Since Bose’s own store on Amazon currently sells them at £198 their discount really means paying £11 extra. 

Not only that but you have to send Bose the broken pair so they get a nice set of spares as part of the grift… what on earth happened to this company?